Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My VTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:12 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
My VTR

Hi,

just wanted to show you folks the latest iteration of my trusty VTR (now just shy of 80,000 kms).

FYI, the first pic is my solution for getting passenger pegs back on with the higher mounted pipes (stock brackets did not fit). I purchased a set of ZX9 pegs (and cut the pipe hanger), painted them with epoxy enamel paint, spaced them with 13mm sockets and voilą!

Mikstr
Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 AM
SuperSport

Loco
I've never paid attention to ZX exhaust hangers. Is that mounting plate part of the system too or did you fabricate that? Was it a direct bolt on, or was there drilling involved?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 AM
MotoGP

Re: My VTR

The mounting plates (anodized them black) came with the slip-ons but I didn't use them last year because of the inability to keep the passenger pegs. However, this year I decided that I would work on using them while keeping my passenger pegs. After various attempt at keeping the pegs with the stock VTR brackets, I set off on eBay looking for passenger peg mounts that were shorter. I ran across these ZX9 units and picked them up for next to nothing. I modded the right one by cutting away the cast piece that holds up the can and then painted over everything. I mounted them by using the stock front hole (for exhaust mount/passenger peg bracket) and drilled a new rear hole in the mounting plate. Throw in a few deep 13mm sockets and some 110 mm long 8M x 1.25 bolts and I was in business. The pegs are psitioned almost directly against the cans for a streamlined and almost OEM look.

cheers
Mikstr
Old 04-03-2006, 08:09 AM
MotoGP

Re: My VTR

Incidentally, I have seen similar mounting plates (for exhaust cans) on eBay. They have the word VTR cut out of them and look pretty snazzy. Given that mine came with the cans (again, thanks to eBay), I would have to assume that Micron must make some too. Not sure, however, if any low-mount slip-on can be mounted this way but I must admit that I find that this is the slickest looking set-up (although I am partial )

cheers
Mikstr