Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

I picked up a 2002 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Squid

jwarriner
I picked up a 2002 yesterday

I thought this would make a good first post.

Side.
Front.
Rear.

Picked it up yesterday. It's a 2002 with 10k miles and it was $4999. The previous owner was the sales manager of the dealership so I'm confident it was cared for (and based on the cosmetic condition alone, it appears so). It has slip ons, I can't remember the brand, the old owner removed the logos. Something Italian that is no longer available.

It sounds great and so far I'm having a blast.

I took MSF a few years ago but this is my first bike, up until now I've just been riding other peoples. I have extensive hours riding a few different bikes, some faster than the Superhawk so I think I'm ok with this as a first bike. I haven't been surprised by the power so far but then I haven't gone to WOT yet.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:13 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I picked up a 2002 yesterday

ooooooo cleeeeeeean!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jwarriner";p=&quot
Picked it up yesterday. It's a 2002 with 10k miles
Damn your strong!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Next time you power-wheelie, it'll surprise you.

Welcome to the fold.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Squid

jwarriner
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
Next time you power-wheelie, it'll surprise you.
That's the type of thing I don't want to happen. I don't like wheelies. I've gotten on it about as hard as I want to for the time being and no wheelies have occured. It's a lot of bike, I respect that, but if you're responsible with your right wrist and use common sense it seems like any bike is about as much bike as you want it to be.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:37 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, nice looking bike

Rick B
02 SH
Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Squid

jwarriner
Things are going well so far except she doesn't like to stay running when cold, even with the choke. It's manageable though, just got to give her a little throttle. I guess I should look into this soon though. Ah, carbs. I almost bought a 919. Sound of the v-twin sold me on the SuperHawk though.

And so far only one jackass has nearly killed me. Full on panic stop when some jerk in a Jeep didn't see me and left a stop sign. I had no time for the horn so I still don't think he saw me even when I was 2ft away from hitting his passenger door. Be careful out there...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
SuperSport

Loco
I've hit that door before, it is no fun at ALL. I didn't get back on a bike for over 3 years.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Squid

jwarriner

I'm a quitter. If it had happened to me, within 24 hours of getting the bike, I think I'd be done for good. It sure did make anxious the rest of the way home. I was just waiting for someone else to jump out in front of me. It amazes me that some morons refuse to see bikes, even bright red ones with the headlight on. When it first happened I quickly became homicidal and wanted to follow him but I figured it probably wasn't malicious, just a case of someone not paying attention. If he had been on his cell phone I probably would have had to kill him.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:12 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

Remember to expect the unexpected when riding... in other words if it can be done some fool will do it! I have had close calls as probably most riders have. You even sometimes have to watch out for other bikers who do unexpected (or stupid if you prefer) things - I haven't run into many but I have seen some real "interesting" moves.

Ride safe and keep alert for signs of impending trouble.

Rick B
02 SH

Originally Posted by jwarriner";p=&quot
I'm a quitter. If it had happened to me, within 24 hours of getting the bike, I think I'd be done for good. It sure did make anxious the rest of the way home. I was just waiting for someone else to jump out in front of me. It amazes me that some morons refuse to see bikes, even bright red ones with the headlight on. When it first happened I quickly became homicidal and wanted to follow him but I figured it probably wasn't malicious, just a case of someone not paying attention. If he had been on his cell phone I probably would have had to kill him.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Squid

jwarriner

Yes, very true. I think I did ok, I started to become nervous about him because there was a pack of cars about a hundred feet in front of me, as soon as they cleared the intersection I started watching this guy. Then everything happened fast from there. There was that brief split second of question: "ARE YOU REALLY GOING?" And then BRAKE!!! I locked the rear, guess I should work on that.

I've taken Master Drive which focuses on being observant, and then MSF. They helped a lot. I've avoided many accidents, that was the first on a bike.