Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My cafe build round II the CX

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Squid

Steve F is on a distinguished road
Love it, nice to see another cafe CX (there are a few out there now). I finished mine just recently and got to say out of the many bikes I've owned this is the most fun as a run around and for a quick play on the weekend.

Anyway, I'll be watching this to see how it turns out

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Just peeking....
Squid

Swagger is on a distinguished road
I found this thread via the forums at dotheton.com and I really like your bike. I have a feeling that the flaky CX cdi unit may be part of your problem, but also...and I didn't see it hit on anywhere in the thread.... CV carbs really don't do well with open element filters since they require a decent amount of restriction at the mouth to allow vacuum to operate the slides. As such your fuel mixture will never be right no matter how much you tinker. I have seen guys 'make it work' but it's only that....a bodge job to get down the road. I salute your commitment to build as inexpensively as you can but you should consider a pair of Mikuni VM30s. They are a cable pull style carb and do not rely on vacuum slides. They can be had relatively cheaply thru many outlets. A couple hundred bucks and you're down the road with far better power and throttle response...never mind more accurate fuel metering and less chance of frying your engine with random leanouts. just a thought...

Last edited by Swagger; 07-07-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
thanks swagger I was actually thinking about how nice a pair of mechanical slides would be over these cv carbs.

So just to say again if I missed it somehow on this thread the OEM cdi was swapped for the much better ignitech cdi. The hot start issue at the moment seems to have vanished for the most part. I have a feeling new plugs would make it go away forever...maybe.

Steve F, awesome cafe, I really like the color. Seems the cx isn't a very common platform for a cafe but I think it works great.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
SuperBike

I only have a few small things now. The front brake seal and switch and a new ignition tray, a exhaust baffle and thats a wrap.

Did I mention my sister took her first spin on it. First day just around the neighborhood the second day a ten mile loop out in the country side.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Squid

Rayman is on a distinguished road
appologies - I thought i'd read that you had the ingntech but then couldnt find it again scannign back through -

As you say - that negates the stator issue - so you should be good to go.
The turbulence at the carb intakes can cause and issue to - often by putting some extender tubes between the pods and the carbs - back to aroud the original length - it smooths out the airflow and vacuum and rejetting is no longer needed -
doesnt look as cool though !

good to hear its getting sorted - looking forward to the final photos !
Rayman
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 AM
SuperBike

Rayman, yeah I will get some final photo's up soon.

Eventually it will be painted right and the motor detailing gone through. Drill the rotor. Modify the tank some. Install a 70's era style ducati 1/4 front fairing, some custom made rear sets. A professional seat and a hodge podge of little things here and there. I will probably tackle this coming winter.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM
SuperBike

Been riding her here and there and she works awesome! The suspension feels good, tip in is well very fast. Had her up to 80 mph no shakes or shimmies. Seat is comfortable and so is the reach to the bars. Rear shock seems to be working great. I am excited, even the jetting seems pretty close.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Just peeking....
Squid

That's very cool Mr.Corn....
I have always thought the CX/GL twins were neat bikes. Had my hands on a 650 turbo but let it slip away. Can't wait to see how this one turns out..
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 AM
SuperBike

I haven't put the silencer on yet but here are some shots. Double tube glass packs.

Name:  IMG_0190.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0191.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  85.1 KB
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 AM
SuperBike

Name:  IMG_0178.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  235.2 KB
Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 AM
SuperBike

So I was able to rebuild the caliper and plumb in the switch. I ran out of time to bleed the system though. I will do that tonight. I am planning on riding it to work tomorrow so I can weld the new silencer on and build the electronics tray. Then I am done. I will ride some more.

When I said friday I was mixed up about which firday I was free. Now it looks like I am not free any friday anyways (make sense?). So I am planning on trailering it up to Seattle on a weeknight, dropping it off and driving back right away so 7 hrs of straight driving
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
So I was able to rebuild the caliper and plumb in the switch. I ran out of time to bleed the system though. I will do that tonight. I am planning on riding it to work tomorrow so I can weld the new silencer on and build the electronics tray. Then I am done. I will ride some more.

When I said friday I was mixed up about which firday I was free. Now it looks like I am not free any friday anyways (make sense?). So I am planning on trailering it up to Seattle on a weeknight, dropping it off and driving back right away so 7 hrs of straight driving
drive faster.... duh.

tim
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Looks great man! Cant wait to see you
Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
SuperBike

thanks Springbubba, I am excited too. Stogey is planning on meeting up with us too I told him you don't know for sure if our August trip will work so this might be it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 PM
SuperBike

I ran into more issues, the seal I put in broke when I tried to put the piston in and the old brake pad broke from its backing plus the piston has some pitting that is keeping it from sealing as well. With all this said I may just have to bite the bullet and find an entire used caliper set off of ebay. I thought I would ask people on the forums first though if they have extra calipers laying around. Anyone here?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 PM
SuperBike

superhawk calipers ? i should have the two i pulled off when i went to f4 calipers.

tim

Originally Posted by cornandp
I ran into more issues, the seal I put in broke when I tried to put the piston in and the old brake pad broke from its backing plus the piston has some pitting that is keeping it from sealing as well. With all this said I may just have to bite the bullet and find an entire used caliper set off of ebay. I thought I would ask people on the forums first though if they have extra calipers laying around. Anyone here?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Squid

rippy27 is on a distinguished road
I have a caliper off my 07 ninja 250 I'm not going to use anytime soon. Swapped the forks for a set off a SV.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 PM
SuperBike

Tim I will check if the rotor is even close to the same diameter. Then if it is I may be able to make a new bracket to hold the vtr caliper. That would be nice, it sure would work better. The hole pattern on the rotor may even interchange I will check into it since I have a couple of half used stock rotors already then the caliper would definitely work I would just have to make a special bracket.

As far as the ninja caliper is concerned I will post up hole dimensions so that if possible you could check to see if there is even a chance it would work.

Thanks everyone, fwiw I posted the same post asking for help in 2 other forums where I have the cx build thread running as well and this forum still kicks *** with the most and best help.

Night everyone.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 PM
SuperBike

Tim, I would like to give the vtr calipers a try. It looks as though I can mount the vtr rotor if I drill them for the pattern of the cx rim (cx 5 bolt vtr 6). This should allow me to miss all of the existing holes. Or at least to give it a shot. If you could somehow get me the calipers or let me know how I should get them from you that would be great. I won't need to modify them and if you want them back if I fail then you can have them back.

I will have to build custom bracket to hold the vtr caliper too but I think it may be possible. I am crazy enough to try. Obviously it would need to be tested before handing it over to my sister, but I feel if I can accurately do things according to my ideas there should not be an issue.

Onwards and upwards friends!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 AM
SuperBike

no problem using them, they have pads in them also... sbc's iirc. didn't like them for my pace but on your bike they may be just fine.

give me a call today & getting together.

tim
Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 AM
SuperBike

sure thing, thanks Tim
Old 07-15-2010, 09:21 AM
SuperBike

Click for vid!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 AM
SuperBike

I am pulling my hair out now. The exhaust is too loud still even with the extra packing. After some discussion with Springbubba I am beginning to think the length of the exhaust is an issue. I may have to make it more standard exit. A shame since I really like the way the under engine looks.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Just peeking....
Squid

Looking at your setup, I'd say it's a volume issue (no pun intended). There's just not enough internal volume to do the sound damping you need but still allow decent flow. If you resort to extra baffling or packing them you cut flow. Improve flow and it's gonna get even louder.

I think you can still make an under engine system work but it'd going to take more muffler than you have. The way the bike is currently set up, you have lots of room under there for a pretty large muffler. Hell, with your abilities, it'd be easy to fabricate one to suit your needs exactly. Get crazy and weld up the inner baffles and your perforated tube with three or four individual chambers and a little stubby exit right by the back tire. Rivet an aluminum skin around the structure and some stainless wool packing. You'll be able to support far more flow than the engine is capable of and it'll be quite livable as far as noise levels are concerned.
If you're careful the unit doesn't have to be too awfully heavy either.

Add a 3-bolt flange at the headpipe and a couple straps to support if from the bottom of the engine/frame and you're dialed! Hell, make it look like a belly pan!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Swagger
Looking at your setup, I'd say it's a volume issue (no pun intended). There's just not enough internal volume to do the sound damping you need but still allow decent flow. If you resort to extra baffling or packing them you cut flow. Improve flow and it's gonna get even louder.

I think you can still make an under engine system work but it'd going to take more muffler than you have. The way the bike is currently set up, you have lots of room under there for a pretty large muffler. Hell, with your abilities, it'd be easy to fabricate one to suit your needs exactly. Get crazy and weld up the inner baffles and your perforated tube with three or four individual chambers and a little stubby exit right by the back tire. Rivet an aluminum skin around the structure and some stainless wool packing. You'll be able to support far more flow than the engine is capable of and it'll be quite livable as far as noise levels are concerned.
If you're careful the unit doesn't have to be too awfully heavy either.

Add a 3-bolt flange at the headpipe and a couple straps to support if from the bottom of the engine/frame and you're dialed! Hell, make it look like a belly pan!

The volume of those mufflers are to small... The chamber length and volume needs to be longer/larger to get the desired result...

Either make a larger chambered muffler or put those two chambers in line after each other... You are loosing lenght by doing that "Y" splitter...

My suggestion, make an large oval can, one entry in the front up by the bend, two exits in the sides of the rear... The inlet/outlet tubes extends inside the oval, going past each other... That reduces flow only minimally if you use large pipe sizes, but kills noise very efficently...
Old 07-16-2010, 09:53 AM
SuperBike

I like where you thinking is headed swagger. Basically more like a flowmaster type design theory making the exhaust travel from one side of the muffler to the other two or three times + packing
Old 07-16-2010, 01:04 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
how about something like this...

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/my...=1202%7CDucati
Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
If I may suggest, have a look at a Buell exhaust.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Corn,
Try adding more length just for starters. You may still be able to use the muffler that you have, but no at the length you have from the head. Just exten out some pip and put it at the end. See how much quieter it is. You may be able to run an S pipe underneath to add more volume.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM
SuperBike

I was easily able to mount the vtr rotor to the cx but the caliper is too wide I can't get everything to clear. I was offered a double piston cx caliper and bracket from a member on a different forum I will try that next.

Quick Reply: My cafe build round II the CX