Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My '99

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Squid

youngdrew47 is on a distinguished road
My '99

New to the forum and just wanted to say hi. I just picked up this beauty for $3K last Sunday, and I am in love. If anybody is riding in the Portland, Or. area let me know.

-Andy
Attached Thumbnails My '99-996-r-edit.jpg  
Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
I see you have stock CCT's, as alot will point out I would suggest looking at replacing them as a preventative measure
Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Squid

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I had no idea, but it sounds like a must have,
Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by youngdrew47
Thank you for the advice. I had no idea, but it sounds like a must have,
Not really....... while some people have had problems others (like myself) have put thousands of miles on the stock units with no issues. I am close to 80k miles on my bike and have replaced the stock ones one time at 50k miles (yeah I should have done it a little sooner but what can I say) and you do need to replace the automatic units as a wear item.

The big thing is don't let the bike sit and idle on the side stand. If you have to do it or just like to let the bike run like that, throw in some manual units.

As you have bought it used, you might want to have someone check the bike over for you and you might want to change them for piece of mind but the whole thing is blown a bit out of proportion IMHO
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skoshere
I see you have stock CCT's, as alot will point out I would suggest looking at replacing them as a preventative measure

how can you tell from the pic?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by offroad_rider2008
how can you tell from the pic?
the gray think poking out of the back of the engine is the CCT. It's not gray or shaped like that if it is aftermarket.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
While I may agree that there is a bit of panic regarding the longevity of the CCT's I still replaced mine with manual units. It is a cheap bit of insurance that they will not fail. Like frame sliders if you never crash then you don't need them, but when you do and don't have them think of all the damage that can be prevented by having them.
Believe me there is a known issue with the car that I drive that you may develop crank walk, while this issue is something that can happen to any engine there seems to be a higher amount of my engine generation developing this. If there was a simple bolt on preventative measure that I could install myself I would install it without thinking twice.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I put the shawn...
Squid

accelerashawn is on a distinguished road
You can tell when the stock ones go bad cuz the bike will sound like something is rattling. Its a muffled rattle that either goes away or gets louder when you rev it. Its the chain dragging across something in your motor. Best thing to do at that point is turn your bike off.

Last edited by accelerashawn; 03-02-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by zmaniv
While I may agree that there is a bit of panic regarding the longevity of the CCT's I still replaced mine with manual units. It is a cheap bit of insurance that they will not fail. Like frame sliders if you never crash then you don't need them, but when you do and don't have them think of all the damage that can be prevented by having them.
Believe me there is a known issue with the car that I drive that you may develop crank walk, while this issue is something that can happen to any engine there seems to be a higher amount of my engine generation developing this. If there was a simple bolt on preventative measure that I could install myself I would install it without thinking twice.

Well I do see your point also, it's just the whole issue is way over played IMHO but then again I don't like frame breakers, I mean sliders either. They do work great if you drop the bike at low speed or stopped but I've seen the result of quite a few of them digging in and either breaking the frame or causing the bike to tumble turning a lowside that would have caused minor damage into a totaled bike.

But that's another topic........
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by accelerashawn
You can tell when the stock ones go bad cuz the bike will sound like something is rattling. Its a muffled rattle that either goes away or gets louder when you rev it. Its the chain dragging across something in your motor. Best thing to do at that point is turn your bike off.
This is true but the only downside is telling a new SH owner to listen for noises is kind of hard as these bikes rattle and clank when they are running great.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The problem with the CCTs is no one knows when they will fail. There is no gradual warning. You might get a 1/2 second sound before the valves meet the pistons, but that's about it.

We have stories of failures from as little as 1500 miles and as many as 55,000 miles.. Either way it didn't end well.

As for frame sliders, mine hit the ground at around 40 and the tabs that hold them (t-rex) bent and the plastic they were made of ground away and as a result my frame did not get damaged at all and the plastic damage was very minimal.. In a faster crash given what I saw I expect they would break clean off before damaging the frame themselves or flipping the bike. I have been very impressed by my t-rex sliders and they have saved the bike from three accidental tip overs when parked with no damage at all to the bike. (be careful who you let sit on your bike no matter how cute she is)
Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
there are a couple of us local riders...

lots of good roads out your way ! with the mild winter i'll be out in the gorge area very soon.

tim
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Squid

local rides

The Gorge is my neck of the woods. Let me know when you head out this way.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by youngdrew47
The Gorge is my neck of the woods. Let me know when you head out this way.
windy ridge, carson, wind river, curly creek , hwy/142 ( glennwood/ BZ corner ) all are the mecca ... lots of bikes.

just be cautious of hwy14... some fun sections but well patrolled

tim
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
welcome aboard.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
yep, Im in Portland area too. HW 14 also has alot of traffic. I am down for a ride in the gorge, I usually head west but I have been down most of the routes Tim mentioned. Very fun we will have to schedule a OR an WA SH owners ride or something.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 PM
SuperBike

oh yes... west is also good !

tim
Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Squid

sounds great. keep me posted on any future OR / WA rides.