Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Talking found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators

worked tirelessly today to make up some scoops that sit at the rear of the radiators, hopefully to draw in some air while on the move. since I'm naked like a bunch of us on here and currently have my bike apart, I needed a way to get the airflow going as an alternative to relocating a front radiator of some sort because I heard it hits the front fender when the suspension was depressed. so this is what I came up with.

parts:
scrap aluminum
carbon fiber
stainless rivets

tell me what you think
Attached Thumbnails found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators-07142010258.jpg   found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators-07142010259.jpg   found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators-07142010261.jpg   found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators-07142010262.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
it's got to increase airflow but by how much I don't know. Were you having over heating issues?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
Here is a mod that was done that eliminated 1 radiator.
He put it under the seat, fabricated vents in the rear, and added a fan.
It doesn't look very easy, but the results look pretty sweet.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...tor+seat+naked
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

^yep I've seen that one, I use the minimal trunk space so that was out of the question. I wasn't having overheating issues because I'm typically around a colder climate, but I'm going to south dakota in a couple weeks, it'll be hot there ;/
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The only issue is that the air flows from the middle of the bike out, not from the outside in. So the scoops should be mounted on the inside of the rads.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
Yes, 8541hawk is right the air flow is from inside the bike to the outside.

My bike´s naked too and i dont notice any changes in op. temp.
It´s exactly the same has it is with the fairings.

I think you dont need any extra cooling besides the stock form and specs.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:05 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Sharp. I was thinking it would be possible to mod up dirt bike side scoops, too. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...Q5fAccessories

but I don't know if that would be an improvement aesthetically over stock.

I'll be interested to see how this ends up.

CR
Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
The only issue is that the air flows from the middle of the bike out, not from the outside in. So the scoops should be mounted on the inside of the rads.
Originally Posted by luis saleiro

That's interesting since it appears the stock scoops inside the fairing appear to feed air to the outside of each radiator. The fan pushes air and not pulls? Not that I don't believe you, but I gotta take another look.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

^^I was looking for something like those side scoops off of a KTM or something, but I never found anything I liked, except in a superhawk youtube video one was really modded out with those side rad scoops.

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

Well the airflow would be flowing like that, but I used some washers/spacers and longer bolts to prop the rear of the radiator out further from the center of the bike and shorter bolts with no spacers on the front of the radiators so me being the "T" on the bike the rads angle like this:
now:
/T\
stock:
|T|
or even a bit different.
I haven't done any flow testing, but that will come when I flow test it on the streets. My bike never actually got past the halfway mark except for sitting in traffic, but I was taking preventative measures for some hotter cruising riding. Hopefully the airflows don't counteract each other.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
That's interesting since it appears the stock scoops inside the fairing appear to feed air to the outside of each radiator. The fan pushes air and not pulls? Not that I don't believe you, but I gotta take another look.
interesting, I just took their word for it. only had the stock scoops on for a couple days or two.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Back Marker

Nop, sorry Old Yeller.
The stock scoops inside the fairing feeds air into the inside of the radiators.
The fan pushes the air into the rad.
Didn´t you notice the hot air in your right leg when the fan is working?
You never ride in shorts?
Humm, wait a minute, wasn´t it you who rode naked somewhere?
Hot air in your nuts, no? Doesn´t it ring any bell?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nothing
^^I was looking for something like those side scoops off of a KTM or something, but I never found anything I liked, except in a superhawk youtube video one was really modded out with those side rad scoops.

Well the airflow would be flowing like that, but I used some washers/spacers and longer bolts to prop the rear of the radiator out further from the center of the bike and shorter bolts with no spacers on the front of the radiators so me being the "T" on the bike the rads angle like this:
now:
/T\
stock:
|T|
or even a bit different.
I haven't done any flow testing, but that will come when I flow test it on the streets. My bike never actually got past the halfway mark except for sitting in traffic, but I was taking preventative measures for some hotter cruising riding. Hopefully the airflows don't counteract each other.
Well, actually the stock rads position are \T/ and not |T|.
So you´re might be messing a bit more in the air flow than you think.

Once again, the stock position of the rads in a naked SH doesn´t affect that much (not to saying anything ) in the operative temperature.
I wouldn´t bother to change the rads position if i were you, unless you dont like the looks of it.
I didn´t change it in mine and it´s Summer in Portugal, temp can reach 34ºc here. You can guess when we stop in a red light what happens, but once the green light is on the temp gauge goes down very fast.
So no worries about it.

I know someone´s going to kill me for this, but to tell you the truth i think my bike runs a bit colder now than with the fairings.
There are people who says that the fairing scoops force the rads to cool faster and better, but i think the rads are much better in the open air and they get cooler much faster than inside the fairings. You see, one thing is the air being forced to the nest when is moving, and another thing is the whole rad surface in contact with the flowing air, including the nest.
But that´s another issue.

Sorry for the long post. Get carried away
Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

^I agree with you on the exposure part, having the entire rad exposed to fresh air is probably a plus. as for temps, it can get up to 105f here (about 46*c) and sometimes even worse. not that I'm too worried about it but you bring a valid point about disrupting airflow. once they're mounted back up I may adjust the spacing on front and rear to see if I can benefit anywhere.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:16 PM
SuperBike

Nop, sorry Old Yeller.
The stock scoops inside the fairing feeds air into the inside of the radiators.
The fan pushes the air into the rad.
Didn´t you notice the hot air in your right leg when the fan is working?
You never ride in shorts?
Humm, wait a minute, wasn´t it you who rode naked somewhere?
Hot air in your nuts, no? Doesn´t it ring any bell?

Ummm...no.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Back Marker

Sorry man, i´ve checked that, wasn´t you .
Old 07-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Back Marker

dfg

Last edited by luis saleiro; 07-16-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: double post
Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 AM
SuperBike

Sorry man, i´ve checked that, wasn´t you .
It worries me that you have some way to check that.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
If you're doing that, make it like the SM ones, where there are several of those.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Flatlander
Squid

flatlander is on a distinguished road
8451 is right. Flows from the inside-out. The scoop on the inside doesn't do as much as the outside shape of the fairing. Like an airplane wing, it's designed to create an area of low pressure on one side, the outside of the fairings on our bikes, drawing air through the rad.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I think the air issupposed to move in to out. Maybe try your scoops just like they are but on the other end (forward end) of your radiators so the air flows over them and causes a low pressure to draw air from the inside out. I think this is what the fairing does. My bike is naked and this is the direction I'm thinking of going.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by superbeater
I think the air issupposed to move in to out. Maybe try your scoops just like they are but on the other end (forward end) of your radiators so the air flows over them and causes a low pressure to draw air from the inside out. I think this is what the fairing does. My bike is naked and this is the direction I'm thinking of going.
Interesting, so you mean move where the scoops are now from the rear to the front of each rad and direct air in from there? Aren't I working against myself now since it goes from inside to out anyways? I've removed all the plastic shielding from the inside front of the frame, probably shouldn't have done that but she runs fine to me.

From riding over the weekend, since it's been 90-95*+ out here, I never saw a temperature over half way. I did only use 1 bottle of water wetter and some distilled water in the radiators but even before with the same coolant combination riding around this hot would bring me to at least the halfway mark whereas now, I'm not seeing as high of temps. If I were sitting at a light it would creep the halfway mark but I never actually saw it make it there, especially while riding.

I did a little experiment seeing of how some of you noted that the air scoops from inside-out, so while cruising around my neighborhood I felt for air movement both inside and outside of the radiators. It was hard to tell but there was a lot of air circulation going on in the area anyways and as long as things are moving I'm happy with the result from these scoops.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well in my experience the stock scoops in the fairing actually do nothing but rattle and send some air to your knees. I pulled mine out around 10yrs ago, as the rattle was bothering me and never noticed any difference in the cooling of the bike.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
when I got my one piece sharkskinz street legal front fairing, it had the intake holes but not the internal scoops. no difference in cooling at all.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
The stock fairing collects moves air from the inside to the outside. It's plain to see when looking at the fairing (the fan blows outward too).

Another thing to look at for the naked setup is the plastic vents/guards that motocross bikes use. They are shaped like louvers and could probably be modded to fit the inside of the radiators to help with the in-to-out airflow?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

the finished and installed product
also installed a trail tech digital gauge, and did a few other odds and ends over the weekend

and then the motor I picked up for cheeep
Attached Thumbnails found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators-07222010268.jpg   found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators-07222010270.jpg   found MY solution to the "ugly" side radiators-07252010276.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Here's some RC51 inspired inspiration for ya.

Name:  RC-51radscoops.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  56.8 KB
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

haha I've seen those on some site, but everything was in #'s so I wasn't interested in them except for the fact that they looks great and probably performed the same. since the RC rads are a bit larger I would have had to modify them, might have been easy though. are those yours or from somewhere you saw them?