Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Finalized streetfighter concept

Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Firefly is on a distinguished road
Streetfighter build!

Thoughts/feedback/praise/hate?

(Thought this was the most appropriate area, if I'm wrong my mistake.)

Last edited by Firefly; 04-30-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
As a former REAL Aircraft Armament tech (68JW-Cobras and Warriors) I can say I am not fond of the concept. The single sided swingarm is difficult to accomplish at best and your bobbed subframe looks like disaster waiting to happen. Not sure how you plan to do the pipes since that will be a pretty short run that will require gobs of tuning experience to get right.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Squid

Meierznutz is on a distinguished road
NIce to crush a dream right out of the box.
The best thing about a pencil drawing is the eraser. There is a single swing swap out there now isn't there? I say go for it and enjoy.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
If this is what you like, i think you should go for it. We all like different things.
Every thing that you want to do has been done before by others, so it is all possible to do.
There are plenty of step by step builds on the net from peolple that have done what you want to do to there VTR's.
Name:  SD530219.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  110.3 KB

Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
I like the pics of all the bikes, liked the old fighter look on the drawing, keep it real and follow your dreams
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by RWhisen
As a former REAL Aircraft Armament tech (68JW-Cobras and Warriors) I can say I am not fond of the concept. The single sided swingarm is difficult to accomplish at best and your bobbed subframe looks like disaster waiting to happen. Not sure how you plan to do the pipes since that will be a pretty short run that will require gobs of tuning experience to get right.
As a current REAL Aircraft Armament tech (15Y10 Apache Armament, Avionics and Electrician) I can say the challenge is welcomed.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone . I know it's ambitious, it's probably the most ambitious thing I've done in life. But hopefully it will turn out auspicious; and if it doesn't, I'm making it happen anyway. I'll start a build thread once everything is painted. As of right now I have the subframe off and am going to be taking the swingarm and rear wheel off this week if I get the time away from work. So hopefully everything should be together and rolling by March 15 or so (Fiancée gets her post deployment leave starting the 20th, and if it's not done by then she might just kill me).
Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Squid

LoPing78 is on a distinguished road
I'm picking up a 98 VTR on Saturday and want to do something similar.. Let me know how your build is going? If anyone has any reputable companies they can recommend it would be greatly appreciated.. I guess the first step is to get the handle bars (and hardware) get the plastics off and an after market head light.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your service to our country, my man. I was a zoomie about 25 years ago myself. And while I think your plans look amazingly difficult, props to you for taking on the challenge. Post lots of pics and updates.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 AM
wlknrndwtwood
Squid

taglicious is on a distinguished road
Ju can do eete!

I'm currently working on an 02EX500R for my daughter. Doing the SSSA as well...

the old adages always apply , patience is a virtue, measure, measure and measure again
cut once
LOL and make sure you spot weld before you get to it on the actual welding of the pieces for fitment...

I'm pretty busy on other forums but I'll post up pics when I can... stay tuned since I have to have this done BEFORE AUGUST whew doesn't leave me a lot of time... come on parts show up faster...

oh and yes... I have a **** load of SSSA bikes (ask Jamie) LOL
Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
imo airbrushing lines and rivits on that olive drap would really look sick
Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Back Marker

i want to see the exhaust on this one.
Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2

Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Superstock

Here you go...

Name:  SD530212.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  122.2 KB
Name:  SD530211.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  93.6 KB
Name:  SD530230.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  105.4 KB
Name:  SD530231.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  92.0 KB
Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2
Here you go...

I like! I think two pipes straddling that nekked rear tire though would be sick!!... Something about dual exhaust screams BAMF to me.. cars, bikes, boats, planes, scootes, whatever..
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by LoPing78
I like! I think two pipes straddling that nekked rear tire though would be sick!!... Something about dual exhaust screams BAMF to me..
i like this guys style lol
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by kj4kym
i like this guys style lol
Ha.. thanks man... Going to pick mine up in less than 24 hours.. cant wait.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
I like! I think two pipes straddling that nekked rear tire though would be sick!!... Something about dual exhaust screams BAMF to me.. cars, bikes, boats, planes, scootes, whatever..

Link : https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23422
Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by calitoz

Yea man.. that first pic is what I was talking about.. I want to do that to my bike.. Aside from just removing all the plastics what other fabrication do you have to do to get your seat like that? I know you have to get some aftermarket headlamps, brackets and such but how do you get that seat that way?

Link : https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23422
Old 03-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Squid

Sorry.. I didn't click on your link first.. good link.. Thanks man!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

Factory seat with the rear cut off then re-shaped, padding and upholster. The subframe was re cut, flipped, re-welded then a pan fab out of 32 gauge metal. The outer cover was fiberglassed to fit the contour of the new seat and subframe with LEDs embedded.

See the links

BTW- I am selling the headlights with the custom brackets for $60 shipped

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23422
Old 03-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Superstock

Name:  SD530202.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  36.4 KB
Name:  SD530203.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  SD530207.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  95.9 KB
Old 04-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Army Aviation
Squid

I'm picking up a 98 VTR on Saturday and want to do something similar.. Let me know how your build is going? If anyone has any reputable companies they can recommend it would be greatly appreciated.. I guess the first step is to get the handle bars (and hardware) get the plastics off and an after market head light.
Caveat: Electrical experience required.

Headlight is a 7" from Aztec8, they have an option to package everything (brackets with integrated signals) and it's a pretty nifty set up, thought you need to trim the brackets just a bit because they're too long and the clamps won't seat right, but it's nothing more than a few millimeters. I got my mirrors there too, I haven't had any problems with those except the onces I've made.

Clip-ons are woodcraft, fair priced and the half and half system the have to install, and the removable bars are a huge plus.

I appreciate all the encouragement. Thanks guys =)

Pictures will start going up as soon I start putting it back together. I'm not really cataloging the teardown, as there's a million pictures on here already of anything i could post.

At the moment the build is kinda on hold as all the fabrication places I need are only open while I'm at work, and that's ALL I need at the moment. Though I did mess about a little while ago just to go riding in this indian summer colorado was having for a bit.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 AM
Squid

Location: currently stationed in La. but from the HOuston, Tx area and im home every weekend
lucas_chanel is on a distinguished road
hey firefly,

i am a grunt currently in Afghanistan with 11yrs in. if you og with the olive drab there is an Akuma helmet that they have that is painted like an apache with the flat olive drab. i think that would top off the bike. Lets see pics when you get it done. and as we say in the grunt world what we do best is ADAPT AND OVEERCOME, so your concept's limits is your mind, do it up cant wait to see it!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Squid

looks good so far.. thanks for the update
Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Squid

johndoeafro is on a distinguished road
Any chance I could get a couple more shots of the headlight and gauge setup? I'm thinking that I'll use aztec8 for my build.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...r-build-25180/
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by johndoeafro
Any chance I could get a couple more shots of the headlight and gauge setup? I'm thinking that I'll use aztec8 for my build.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...r-build-25180/
That's exactly what I did, trimmed down the tabs on the stock gauges and mounted them onto it. The install isn't pretty, but then again I never meant it to be permanent. It works, and quite well. All the wires are taped up and zip tied, the headlight is spliced (which was quite easy, as all the wires are the same color). The only problem I had, which I haven't corrected yet was the brackets are a hair too long, 3mm max, and the c clamps don't sit flat against the fork leg. But the whole assembly is great, turn signals, brackets, headlight and everything.

As it stand I have ALOT of parts left over, including a set of Fireblade forks that need some TLC I bought before I picked up an entire front set up for a steal. Some wheels and my exhaust system, effectively anything that isn't the frame or part of the wiring harness. The entire suspension is getting replaced. Good times. Going to be fun to dial in.

A rear wheel is sitting in my garage until everything is ready to be dropped off to be powdercoated. The setback I have currently is getting the time to finish off the teardown. I'm down to just the engine and frame. I couldn't get the airbox off until someone removed some stripped screws for me so now it's all good in the hood, just gotta go pull everything tomorrow.

Btw, the greatest site I have ever found is: OEM Parts Honda SUPER HAWK (VTR1000F) 1998 AIR CLEANER - Cheap Cycle Parts Going to make replacing those screws and pretty much every damn other thing easy.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Army Aviation
Squid

Promotions!

Got my modified subframe back, and the sharkskinz lower (they have excellent customer service btw). Just need to get my tire off my front wheel and the batch everything together to drop off to get powder coated.

(Don't mind my wife's corset, no seriously, it's not mine. Seriously. It's not.)

I need to get rolling on making the brackets I need. And the radiator shrouds. Good to know someone who does sheetmetal. I was thinking about making a holster and system so I could run my phone as a GPS, and I could probably set it up for that GoProHD that everyone is so happy with. And figure out how I'm going to mount my old tail light and turn signals set up I had because I love them. And CCTs while the engine is out.

Oh I'm so in over my head it's not even funny.

Anyone interested in buying this?

It'll come with the entire system midpipes, locking springs, etc. They're high mounts. The bolts are designed to fit with passenger footpegs. If you want them just PM with and offer or respond on here and I'll start getting them cleaned.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

how's this coming along?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Squid

George H Hill is on a distinguished road
As a former low-brow, knuckle dragging Grunt... 11B... I love the concept.