Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Albertus
Wow. What a transformation! Sorry to hear about your engine troubles, Crux. We hope that your swap goes smoothly.

Your build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: CruxGNZ's SuperHawk Build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.
Admins, please delete this post if deemed inappropriate.

Al
Al,
Feel free to use whatever pictures and whatever sizes you want. Thank you for choosing my bike and Scottie's bike as well! I checked out the BikeBuilds.net, and there are some really cool machines!

Thanks, I hope the engine swap goes well too. I just recieved the last of the engine parts, so the swap is slated for this weekend. With the front end to swap as well, I have a couple LONG days ahead of me.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

More pictures to come!

I got the JE pistons in. I also have the cams in and degreed (thank you *Roadmaniac!) You know what the worst part was? The worst part out of all of this was cleaning the engine, sanding it all down, deburing the edges (I hated cutting my fingers on the sharp edges!) and finally painting it. Seriously, if you want to paint your engine and do it right, you have to put in a CRAP load of time. It honestly took me five times longer to paint this engine than I first figured. Once you start and realize how many nooks and crannies this block has, you kind of freak out about your time line. Oh, and be ready to allow your fingers to heal for at least a week. And I have thick skin from the work I do.

Name:  21E3C8FA-D94B-4E1A-AC4D-4049573C050A.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  232.9 KB

*Roadmaniac is an awesome person. He is ordering a bunch if items for his GSXR and is shipping those items to me. I am then shipping those items to him overseas. One of the items he ordered was a cam degree kit. He allowed me to use his kit to degree my cams in! How cool was that!? He never even saw his cam degree kit yet, but said I can use the kit for myself. What an awesome guy!

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-13-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Damn, she's purdy.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:16 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Crux,

Looking good mate, black is the new silver Eh!

Those new slugs will give here a boost.

What else are you going to do?
Old 06-14-2015, 04:04 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
looking good man, its so funny that my engine covers are gonna look all nice and shiny but my engine is dirty as ***** lol
Old 06-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Crux,

Looking good mate, black is the new silver Eh!

Those new slugs will give here a boost.

What else are you going to do?
Thanks guys!

What else? I wanted to get the bike together this weekend, BUT...at the last minute, I decided to powder coat the frame. The bike had to come apart anyways for the engine swap and getting the frame powder coated gloss black (just like the wheels) is something that I wanted to do for a while. There's no point in tearing apart the bike again in the winter to do this. May as well, since it is disassembled, right? The frame is getting dropped off at the powder coating place tomorrow and should have it back by Friday at the latest. This sets the project back a week, but it's something that I want to do. Besides, the frame's surface looked like crap.

Now that the frame will be black, I need to work in some silver. The starter is already painted silver. Maybe some silver reflective wheel rim tape? I painted the valve covers silver, but you really can't see them very well. The CBR1K forks are silver. I'll see how everything looks once it's back together.

Since the bike will be down for another week, this gives me the chance to do two things. Install the HID headlight with LED turn signals behind the headlight. The turn signals will be installed in the very top left and right of the headlight housing. I sure hope that they can be seen with the headlight so close. I purchased 20 (6,000mcd) yellow LED's and hope to get between 7-10 LED's installed on each side.

The second thing, is to permanently install my Veypor gauge. I had it just temporarily installed with a RAM mount. I think on page 2 of my build thread, I have pictures of a full dash with LED indicators that I made. This will be finally installed with the carbon fiber overlay. Wiring up all the LED indicators will be fun.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:12 PM
SuperBike

Ummmm yea... you might be done way before me... I'm HOPING to be done with mine within a month

I wish I could get my frame powder coated and engine cleaned up but thats gonna have to wait til the winter... Yours is gonna look damn sexy with all that gloss black peaking through the flat black, cant wait to see it done bro
Old 06-15-2015, 03:17 AM
SuperBike

Good work mate,

I am lucky as my bike is pristine.

If it wasn't I would powder coat the frame red and do the body work white just to give the Ducatisti the *****.

Why don't you polish your engine cases , that will give a nice contrast to the black!

Post some pics of course when it's done.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:46 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Good work mate,

I am lucky as my bike is pristine.

If it wasn't I would powder coat the frame red and do the body work white just to give the Ducatisti the *****.

Why don't you polish your engine cases , that will give a nice contrast to the black!

Post some pics of course when it's done.
Red frame with white body work would look absolutely stunning! You should do it. Heck, you already have the wheels done

I have actually been looking at the pictures of your bike and trying to decide on polishing the engine cases. But, since I have a lot of work ahead of me assembling the bike, I am going to wait and see what it looks like when it's back together with the way it sits with the black covers. If it needs more silver, I can pull them off in the winter. I'm REALLY getting the itch to ride! I think I'm having Superhawk withdrawals
Old 06-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

My frame will not be done with powdercoating tomorrow. It might be done sometime next week.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

Crux,

I can't bring myself to touch the paint on my bike as it is pristine. For a 10 year old bike it is testimony to the build quality from Honda.

Maybe one day when I come to my senses and stop playing around with other bikes I will find a basket case and do a build from scratch like you!
Old 06-20-2015, 01:22 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
*Roadmaniac is an awesome person. He is ordering a bunch if items for his GSXR and is shipping those items to me. I am then shipping those items to him overseas. One of the items he ordered was a cam degree kit. He allowed me to use his kit to degree my cams in! How cool was that!? He never even saw his cam degree kit yet, but said I can use the kit for myself. What an awesome guy!
Your to kind

Looking good man... briefly thought about doing my GSXR engine in black

but i am lazy and you dont see alot of the engine with fairings on

keep up the good work
Old 06-23-2015, 10:02 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

2 years and two months ago to the day, I finally assembled my bike and posted a picture of it (page 1). However, today my bike looks like the day I brought it home. Not much to show, just parts laying around. Man, I have a lot of work ahead of me. I am still waiting for the frame to get back from powder coating...still waiting.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
What is your timing with newly degreed cams? I would imagine there could be smaller valve overlap, but nothing significant.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:43 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I got my frame today! The frame and wheels were done by the same company. They did a FANTASTIC job...except for one thing I just noticed. With the Galfer rear rotor in place, there is bare, media blasted wheel exposed. With the stock rotor in place this is not an issue. I might just spray paint this bare area to use the Galfer rotor. Dangit, never noticed this.

However, ASSEMBLY CAN BEGIN! It's going to take longer than I first figured, because I can't use my right arm anymore (long story, but I raise my right arm a little and the blood supply gets cut off. Surgery happening soon). So, I'm kind of doing this assembly single handedly, but I do have friends and family that's chipping in to help me out.

Stephan, the cams I have are not stock. I installed cams from a company called Webcams (grind #189).

Name:  20150625_172837.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  374.5 KB
Name:  20150625_172805.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  385.1 KB
Old 06-25-2015, 07:01 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
My build thread shows the same issue with the Galfer rotor in place. I sanded mine one direction with 60 grit sandpaper and now it looks like it has a machine finish.

I kept it that way as an accent to all the black around it.

If you have to have it black you could try using 2 part brake caliper paint for longevitiy.

By the way... Stop copying my black parts

James
Old 06-25-2015, 07:07 PM
SuperBike

That is very nice, I like the machined edge, its a nice accent but if you keep it that way throw a little polish or a shot of clear so it doesnt oxidize and look like ***** after a couple weeks...

And what about the swinger?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Back Marker

CruxGNZ: it will be nice comparison with my bike, I am running similar cams, just with 256 deg opening, hc pistons as well, so FIL mod can show some difference here.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The swingarm, I couldn't get the brace welded in time before powdercoating. This will be done when I get bored later this year. It will look goofy not being gloss black, but I want to ride and changing the swingarm later on is really quite simple.
I also can't find a grey D.I.D. X-ring rivit master link! This chain only has a couple thousand miles on it. I don't want to buy a new one. If anybody knows where to buy a D.I.D. X-ring rivit on grey master link, let me know.

Stephan, is this what you are looking for?

WEBCAM: Grind #189
IN::BTDC 24/ABDC 48/10.28/102 (252 deg. duration)
EX::BBDC 53/ATDC 19/10.28/107 (252 deg. duration)
Overlap: 43.00 degrees
Intake Duration: 252.00 degrees
Exhaust Duration: 252.00 degrees
Intake Installed Centerline of 102.00 degrees ATDC.
Exhaust Installed Centerline of 107.00 degrees BTDC.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 PM
SuperBike

Well all that shiny black looks great. I'm sorry to hear about your arm, is the surgery going to incapacitate you from riding?

maybe with your arm being down, I might gain on you lol maybe not
Old 06-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Back Marker

Stephan, is this what you are looking for?

WEBCAM: Grind #189
IN::BTDC 24/ABDC 48/10.28/102 (252 deg. duration)
EX::BBDC 53/ATDC 19/10.28/107 (252 deg. duration)
Overlap: 43.00 degrees
Intake Duration: 252.00 degrees
Exhaust Duration: 252.00 degrees
Intake Installed Centerline of 102.00 degrees ATDC.
Exhaust Installed Centerline of 107.00 degrees BTDC.

yes, my reground cams are these:

IN::BTDC 22/ABDC 54/10.2/256 deg. duration
EX::BBDC 56/ATDC 20/10.2/256 deg. duration
Overlap: 42.00 degrees
Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by scottiemann
Well all that shiny black looks great. I'm sorry to hear about your arm, is the surgery going to incapacitate you from riding?

maybe with your arm being down, I might gain on you lol maybe not
Yeah, I just found out I'll be down for about 3 months. And depending on how fast I get the bike assembled, this leaves me with maybe 3 weeks to enjoy my new bike before surgery. After surgery, and I'll be lucky to ride before the snow flies.

Not sure how fast the bike will go together, but my goal is riding it to Summerfest yet this year.

Originally Posted by Stephan
yes, my reground cams are these:

IN::BTDC 22/ABDC 54/10.2/256 deg. duration
EX::BBDC 56/ATDC 20/10.2/256 deg. duration
Overlap: 42.00 degrees
Stephan,
Looking at the thread VTR cam specs, your cam specs are quite interesting. How is the drivability?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Back Marker

Stephan,
Looking at the thread VTR cam specs, your cam specs are quite interesting. How is the drivability?

seems to be fine, feeling is similar to oem cams, but with power gain everywhere. But I still fight with dip at 4-5, which is connected with needles. You saw it in my dyno thread on UK forum.
Monday I will try another configuration of needles and will see.

Your (mikstr) FIL mod is interesting also, I got 122bhp, and don´t believe there is much more left with oem airbox and free flowing filter. But probably I will try open airbox in the future, as I have prepared lid already.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 AM
SuperBike

You guys are unreal,

I am suffering from an ENVY overdose.

Better pull my finger out!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:18 AM
SuperBike

You guys are unreal,

I am suffering from an ENVY overdose.

Better pull my finger out!
You and me both brotha, I wish I had the money for internal engine mods but that will have to wait til everything around itis up to snuff... but at the same time how do you think my build got so deep lol Mine was supposed to be simple but every time I removed a component or took off an engine cover it was like "well I'm here so I might as well" haha
Old 06-28-2015, 01:28 AM
SuperBike

The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago when I decided to fit some high comp pistons.

What seemed like a good idea at the time turned into a 3 month odyssey that then necessitated brake and suspension upgrades.

All part of the fun!

It's all worth it in the end.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Squid

VtwinFr33k is on a distinguished road
Can I swap my running engine for that one you have in parts..?
I am in awe of all of you, I feel ashamed and empty inside.
Seriously, this is such an awesome build, I've learned more reading the comments between you all in this thread than I even know what to do with.
I think I actually screen captured a full gig of comments...
Old 08-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Name:  20150801_180722.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  456.6 KB

Name:  20150801_180739.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  424.4 KB

Name:  20150802_192132.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  328.4 KB

Name:  20150802_192116.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  326.1 KB

Name:  20150802_192623-1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  556.6 KB
Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
What are the LEDs, Mat? Use your words.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 08-03-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 AM
SuperBike

She it Crux,

Another thing I want to do!

You must have some time on your hands mate.

Where did you get the parts from?

Quick Reply: CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk