Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

couple of trackday pics 8/11

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
couple of trackday pics 8/11

got back out on the track yesterday... heres a couple of pics.

had a great day with friends, besides the little trip out into the grass
the highlight may have been when the great ex racer shawn roberti came up to me & said i need a faster bike ... i'm a chicane in the straights but was flying in the corners !

very nice of him to take the time ... really cool guy.

tim

Last edited by trinc; 11-11-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Squid

DuCaTi_HuNtEr is on a distinguished road
wow buddy, your hitting some serious lean angle on your hawk. How does it do at the track? mI'm thinking about doin some trackdays this winter but I wasn't sure the Bird could take it.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Looks like a lot of fun. I can't wait until I go to the track end of Sept.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Squid

macd218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DuCaTi_HuNtEr
wow buddy, your hitting some serious lean angle on your hawk. How does it do at the track? mI'm thinking about doin some trackdays this winter but I wasn't sure the Bird could take it.
All you need to do is a few of the mods from this site and you are good to go.
My first trackday was on the stock hawk and it was fun but when I did the brake mods, OMG Tens times the fun!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Beautiful day for some track time at PIR!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:13 PM
SuperBike

the hawk is what it is... it has fun torque but by todays standards it's slow. a good friend pulls away ( just a bit ) on his 600f4i ... i just get him back in the corners .

i have stock fork valves, correct weight springs, fork brace & f4i calipers. i just mounted a new penske 2 way rear shock.

this time i ran a new set of pirelli supercorsa sc1 up front, sc2 rear and they were incredable. i normally run take-offs but the new rubber was insane ( along with price tag ).

there is so much to learn riding on the track, if you have the chance... do it.

tim
Old 08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Back Marker

hawkman996 is on a distinguished road
Nice pics...looks like a lot of fun. I have taken my hawk to numerous track days and always have fun. Yeah, I get passed on the straights but the corners are fun. Cannot wait to see what the new RC I picked up can do at the track.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Nice pics, your rubber seem to hold good.
I did my first track day last week end with my stocker, except for the Racetech springs, I have a BT-20 up front and BT-21 in the back, I was expecting less from these but it went around the track nicely, I could not get the max out of the hawk so I might consider a set of tires and some braided brake lines along with a descent leather suit

Last edited by gboezio; 08-13-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM
SuperBike

nice pic !

i did a trackday on a set of bt014's ... i didn't like them - ZERO feedback.
a good set of tires can be $$$ but it's cheap insurance.

i only run race DOT take-offs ( this time i bought a new set ) & will never go back to street shoes. i don't commute though.

tim
Old 08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
With a 400 % increase in sport bikes licensing fees over here, mine is close to retirement, the value dropped near nothing, so I'll use it as a track toy, as soon as I can wear out these Batlax tires, I'll go shopping and will check out those supercorsa tires, looking at your pics they hook pretty good
Old 08-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Squid

PIR??

Originally Posted by Springbubba
Beautiful day for some track time at PIR!
Is that Pikes Peak International Raceway???
Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Squid

Fast bikes get me in trouble at the track... It's more fun to to sred the wheels off of a street bike than go in on a raci-rep. My SV6.5 an I had a lot of fun at trackdays, but things get way to intense for me on real sport bike. I'm also trying to resolve some tire trust issues I developed after some bt-014's let me down mid corner at 65. My pilots on the hawk are a good rehab though.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

Fast bikes get me in trouble at the track... It's more fun to to sred the wheels off of a street bike than go in on a raci-rep. My SV6.5 an I had a lot of fun at trackdays, but things get way to intense for me on real sport bike. I'm also trying to resolve some tire trust issues I developed after some bt-014's let me down mid corner at 65. My pilots on the hawk are a good rehab though.

PIR = portland internation raceway

i did a trackday on 014's also... i HATED them - zero feedback ( feel ), lucky i was riding in the intermediate group that day.

pilot powers are good tire & for a street tire i hear good things about the new ct3's.

tim
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Here i am at Nashville Super Speedway on the Motard, funny thing is the SuperChicken is setting in the Track garage at this point in time of the picture waiting to be ridden on the track. She never got her turn, she waited and waited, but the other ride stole all of my attention.

Friggin Sportbikes are slow in the turns, they may get me on the striaght, but i will pass them back in the twisty part of the track.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lirenk/2...64402561980546

Last edited by Thumper; 08-25-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
PIR = portland internation raceway

i did a trackday on 014's also... i HATED them - zero feedback ( feel ), lucky i was riding in the intermediate group that day.

pilot powers are good tire & for a street tire i hear good things about the new ct3's.

tim
I think you mean 2CT
Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Squid

rahjer is on a distinguished road
I've done a couple trackdays on the Hawk now, and I'm still really impressed with the bike. Before I did the first one I was a little worried, knowing all the negatives about the bike (suspension and horsepower), but the bike performed beyond expectations. The Dunlop Qualifiers I'm running were great: nice rolling into corners, sticky, and when the back did come around they were still very predictable.

The first track I did was the big track at Willow Springs, and that's where the horsepower issue showed the most. I could get a good launch out of turn 9 onto the long front straight, but my buddy's Kawi 636 would be past me by turn 1. Big liter bikes? Fugadaboutit! Long gone!

Second track I did was the tighter Streets of Willow, and the bike was much more fun. It would wheelie out of a few of the turns, and neither of the straights were long enough for any 600's to get away from me.

The bike does not like mid corner corrections or thottle changes, and stands up on the brakes. I've got stock brakes, but Galfer brake lines and pads, and they were strong and never faded on me. But then, some of the corners I would just use engine braking to slow me down.

I did blow the end cap off one of my Two Brothers carbon cans, so I did the last half of the day running straight pipes. Loud? Newbies were turning to look behind them when I came up behind them. Fun.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 PM
SuperBike

rahjer,

a little suspension work & adjustments really helps. forks & shock plus i have a fork brace & damper. newly fitted f4i calipers & vesrah pads.

i run in the "A" ( advanced group ) so i'm pretty much the slowest down the straight but i carry very good corner speed so i can hang with the modern 600's. it comes at a price though... i'm dragging hard parts, mid pipe, on the left and have turned my right peg into a slash cut

with my little get-off at the end of august ... my future with the hawk is uncertain. if i put her back together i'll have to go back to high mount pipes and get some aftermarket rearsets. of course my ortho is not sure if i should be out on the track next year at all ! that would suck.

tracktime is tracktime... i'd ride a ninja 250 if that was all i had !

as a side note ( about the get-off ) keep your eyes on your mirror ! my
buddy accidently clipped me at a stop sign. putting me & the hawk on the ground.

the result:

tim

Originally Posted by rahjer
I've done a couple trackdays on the Hawk now, and I'm still really impressed with the bike. Before I did the first one I was a little worried, knowing all the negatives about the bike (suspension and horsepower), but the bike performed beyond expectations. The Dunlop Qualifiers I'm running were great: nice rolling into corners, sticky, and when the back did come around they were still very predictable.

The first track I did was the big track at Willow Springs, and that's where the horsepower issue showed the most. I could get a good launch out of turn 9 onto the long front straight, but my buddy's Kawi 636 would be past me by turn 1. Big liter bikes? Fugadaboutit! Long gone!

Second track I did was the tighter Streets of Willow, and the bike was much more fun. It would wheelie out of a few of the turns, and neither of the straights were long enough for any 600's to get away from me.

The bike does not like mid corner corrections or thottle changes, and stands up on the brakes. I've got stock brakes, but Galfer brake lines and pads, and they were strong and never faded on me. But then, some of the corners I would just use engine braking to slow me down.

I did blow the end cap off one of my Two Brothers carbon cans, so I did the last half of the day running straight pipes. Loud? Newbies were turning to look behind them when I came up behind them. Fun.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear you got hurt. How recently did this happen?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cornandp
Sorry to hear you got hurt. How recently did this happen?
aug 30. saturday of labor day weekend. with the guy you meet when we went out ... with the silver / black 954.

tim
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
That's really too bad, was he alright? I never like to hear about people I know having accidents, always reminds me it could happen to me again anytime, I do try and watch my mirrors but they aren't all that great on the hawk, and I usually am watching for the car who doesn't notice Im stopped, not my riding buddy .
Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 AM
SuperBike

he's fine. his bike was already rashed a little, he just added a few crackes to it... and a broken radiator.

tim
Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Ouch!
I'm sorry to hear about your injury.
I hope you heal up well and fast!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Great pics. Gotta do more track days.

Ha ha! funny about the slash cut peg. Looks nicely machined!