General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SH trackday with pics

Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
SH trackday with pics

Last Saturday I went to the Mecaglisse circuit, North of Montreal, witch is a tight and technical circuit since it was designed for supermotards racing, but they set it up differently for sportbikes trackdays, we reach a max speed of 140 km/h (88 MPH) the rest is tight curves and hairpins.
This is the second time I go there and I'm really addicted.
Next year I plan on not licensing my Hawk since they consider it as a sportbike and the fees are outrageous and I get more fun to race the hell out of it once in a while without fear of dumb drivers, cops, bumps, dirty pavement.
It did good, well as good as I could do, but at the end I was getting way faster without sticking my butt too far, my lines were just improving.

The limit are my tires, an old BT-20 at the front and a BT-21 on the back, still they are impressive since a lot of people told me not to track them and they were sticking better than I could imagine when heated up properly, the track was hell hot and the tires were melting, rocks and the fairing bits from a brand new R6 freshly crashed were sticking to it

So this winter it should receive supercorsa tires, new brakes, exhaust mods, maybe a cam regrind, some carburetors tweaks, air filter, a diet and the driver a better outfit lol
The pegs get really annoying dragging early, they may become a problem with the better tires, I may either raise the rear of the bike and/or clear whatever is too low.

Here's some pics not moto GP impressive pictures but a SH driver that had a blast

Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Nice pics. I was going to say with your winter dollars get a 1 piece suit if you are going to make a hobby of this, but then read more closely about a diet and better outfit - LOL, I can relate
Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Looks like you had fun. Great pics.

My wife was born in Pte. Claire. She wants to know if there were any ladies on the track.

Oh, and does that lowered passenger peg help your left turn entry?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Get some proper kit, tires, & clean up the exhaust situation. Since your bike is way more capable than you are (speed wise), my suggestion, as a next step, would be to enlist the help of a local knowledgeable person to help you set up the suspension of your bike. This will give you the biggest bang for the "loonie". A properly suspended bike is easier to ride fast, and will give you more confidence in exploring it's limits. Next is seat time, get as much of it as you can stand and afford. And lastly, have fun!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by cliby
Nice pics. I was going to say with your winter dollars get a 1 piece suit if you are going to make a hobby of this, but then read more closely about a diet and better outfit - LOL, I can relate
Lol, yeah, I was thinking to get a used one piece learher suit, there's many for sale and dirt cheap, it could be cleaned I guess, some look brand new.
As for a diet, I'm 155 lbs, there are many that should fit

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Looks like you had fun. Great pics.

My wife was born in Pte. Claire. She wants to know if there were any ladies on the track.

Oh, and does that lowered passenger peg help your left turn entry?
Yes there was two, they were both good, but the younger one crashed and had a sore ankle. She had the brand new R6, hope she get herself together and ride again, now many girls slide the knee on the track and do good lap times.
For the peg, it may explain the bad balance of the bike
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
I'm sure that heavy stock can made tipping it into the left hander's a breeze.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by trackdayhawk
Get some proper kit, tires, & clean up the exhaust situation. Since your bike is way more capable than you are (speed wise), my suggestion, as a next step, would be to enlist the help of a local knowledgeable person to help you set up the suspension of your bike. This will give you the biggest bang for the "loonie". A properly suspended bike is easier to ride fast, and will give you more confidence in exploring it's limits. Next is seat time, get as much of it as you can stand and afford. And lastly, have fun!
The suspension was fine for me so I did not fiddle with it, but I should, to see if it feels better or not, I got .85 springs, thin oil and run 30mm SAG
The steering feels light some times while leaned under acceleration, I'll check those head bearings and rise the rear a bit, maybe a damper will be a good buy too if I ever go to faster tracks.
I checked the damping rate on another bike while discussing and set mine at about the same rate (pushing down)
For the seat time I'm going every two weeks

Originally Posted by trackdayhawk
I'm sure that heavy stock can made tipping it into the left hander's a breeze.
LOL Good eye, the left one is bound to disapear
Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
One word....."Sweet!!!"
Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Take the hero bolts off your foot pegs; I usually run out of ***** before I scrape anything else (but w/ high mount jardine cans) on the street. Never been to a race track w/it.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
Take the hero bolts off your foot pegs;
+1

My right one broke off from scraping so I ditched the other one and have never looked back.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
some great shots !

riding on a track is soooo much fun... just wait until you get proper leathers & a good set of tires !

tim

p.s. i would unplug you head & tail lights when you tape them up. the heat bakes the tape on & can be a real pain to get off.

Last edited by trinc; 08-25-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
looks like a good time
Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Scoutpilot
One word....."Sweet!!!"
Yes it was and I strongly recommend to try this out

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
Take the hero bolts off your foot pegs; I usually run out of ***** before I scrape anything else (but w/ high mount jardine cans) on the street. Never been to a race track w/it.
Yeah if anything they will get me in trouble since I swerve a bit from the surprise, I guess the next thing to scrape is the exhaust on the left side, on the right it seem fine.

The Left one is dangerously low, and one of the heaviest peice of junk ever carried on an aluminium framed bike

Originally Posted by drew_c14
+1

My right one broke off from scraping so I ditched the other one and have never looked back.
The lean angle will probably increase when I swap my tires and every thing that scrape the ground will go, that stock exhaust will get chopped up as soon as I get my TIG welder.

Originally Posted by trinc
some great shots !

riding on a track is soooo much fun... just wait until you get proper leathers & a good set of tires !

tim

p.s. i would unplug you head & tail lights when you tape them up. the heat bakes the tape on & can be a real pain to get off.
Never thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense and it may help to get even better pics

Originally Posted by sassage
looks like a good time
That grin in still stamped on my face

Last edited by gboezio; 08-25-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio

The lean angle will probably increase when I swap my tires and every thing that scrape the ground will go, that stock exhaust will get chopped up as soon as I get my TIG welder.

the great thing about knee sliders is they are a gage to your lean angle...
i'd say you could then stop dragging hard parts but i still drag my midpipe in hard left turns. i do however take a tight line so i have room to pick the bike up a bit. it takes a while to train yourself to make controlled changes instead of quick 'suprise reactions' which may surprise the rider behind you.

imo - i'd leave the peg feeler on the stock pipe side - thats one part i would want to be dragging.

tim
Old 08-25-2008, 05:39 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Yeah, at least it folds when it reach the ground and does not lift the bike, the exhaust could lift the bike enough to start a lowside.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Keep on having a blast.

Well done, that man.