Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

2001 naked, I know, but it turned out nice reeel nice

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
CMCC
Squid

cmcconkey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stebbdt
CM I gotta ask, the bike in your avatar, does that have a Tracy body on it?
it's a Tracy body on a cb750k
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Squid

crazy1 is on a distinguished road
wow!! very nice
Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Awesome, it's exactly how I want to build mine after the fork upgrade, but with a front mount rad.
Very good work
Old 10-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rooster
I also had an 05 TI colored bike and must say that I built my bike in my head to look exactly like yours does now. Always liked the streetfighter look as why I now own a Monster. If Honda built that I would be first in line. Very well done bike
It's called the Hornet.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
It's called the Hornet.
The hornet is a inline four with cheap suspension, had one, good bike. This bike is quite a bit different. Little offense taken, but not too much.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Originally Posted by gboezio
Awesome, it's exactly how I want to build mine after the fork upgrade, but with a front mount rad.
Very good work
Not quite sure how or what to use for a front mount radiator... I've seen a couple not sold on any of them looking just right. Not saying that it can't be done, just have'nt seen it. Most radiators you'll find are for inline fours and are too wide and do not look right on your narrow V-twin.

You'll find that if you do all your prep work,sanding/masking you will be far happier with all your powder coating. Mainly because you know what should and should not have coating on it. It is not the easiest stuff to remove once on.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
VTS,
I'm in the midst of a fighter build and was wondering what you did with the 100 extra feet of wiring harness? I'm trying to build mine up where everything is reversible should the time to sell it come and this one of the biggest obstacles I'm facing.
Kudos on the build, by far the best naked I've seen on here yet. Tastefully done.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:35 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Originally Posted by poppazuti
VTS,
I'm in the midst of a fighter build and was wondering what you did with the 100 extra feet of wiring harness? I'm trying to build mine up where everything is reversible should the time to sell it come and this one of the biggest obstacles I'm facing.
Kudos on the build, by far the best naked I've seen on here yet. Tastefully done.

Well I'm not sure what you can do about the wire length. mine is trimmed down some but a fair amount is in the headlight bucket, 919 bucket.
Right now your harness runs down on the outside of the left frame spar lower.
You could run it back to mid bike, fuel tank and seat, and re-route the harness on the inside between the airbox and frame. Zip tie an excess in front of the airbox possibly.....
Old 10-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTS
The hornet is a inline four with cheap suspension, had one, good bike. This bike is quite a bit different. Little offense taken, but not too much.
The SH has cheap suspension too. Take the Hornet and drop in suspension and you get said:
Name:  919-1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  142.2 KB
Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

The SH has cheap suspension too. Take the Hornet and drop in suspension and you get said:
I agree, this modified 919 is a cool machine and I considered changing mine, but I thought, wow I can pick up a 954 cheap and make it into an awesome naked. Cool frame, swingarm, better brakes suspension and engine as a starting platform. I chose the V-twin for the personality and at the time I picked it up for $1000.00. I wanted the challenge of making the underseat cooling system work. I just liked the V-twin as a starting platform for the build over the inline four. I remember when the 919 came out there was talk of using the 919 backbone frame to house other engines to make other models, VTR, RC51,..... They never materialized.

A naked 954 would be great if done right. checkout the CB1000R they now sell in europe..... I may come here next year. I hope.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Wow, great-looking bike VTR. Let me know when you build a kit.

Randy
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
It's called the Hornet.
Sorry I thought it was implied "V twin fighter" I personaly like the 919. My buddy has one and it is a nice bike but IMHO lacked personality that a V twin has. Put a pipe on it and it sounds like any other street bike. Put a pipe on a 90 degree V twin and people turn and look to see what is making that sound. Even more fun when it comes from a sportbike.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Talking

[QUOTE=rooster;239389]Sorry I thought it was implied "V twin fighter" I personaly like the 919. My buddy has one and it is a nice bike but IMHO lacked personality that a V twin has. Put a pipe on it and it sounds like any other street bike. Put a pipe on a 90 degree V twin and people turn and look to see what is making that sound. Even more fun when it comes from a sportbike.[/QUO

I like the 919 as well, and I feel the same way you do about the personality factors. My 919 was had a throat clearing girgle/snarl around 3800 RPMS that made it fun to ride. I have not experienced it on all the other 919's that I have ridden. I think it must have been some kind of defect in the mufflers or end caps. It also resonated from the intake/airbox. I'm not meaning to rip on the 919 on anything I've said. Just personal experience along with preferences that brought me to make this bike.

VTS= Veee Twin Streefighter, or Vee Twin Standard or my fav, Vee Twin
S**t-box.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:20 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Originally Posted by kai ju
Hey VTS,
Nice bike, where are the pics of the radiator, fan and plumbing ?
I've been bugging you for over a year, I'm tired of waiting.
Your bike does look nice, I really like the color combo.
BTW, regarding range issues, I have a 1998 to 2001 VFR tank I'm getting ready to convert for Superhawk use.
It's a Canadian tank in a teal color, but is in excellent shape.
I've got my tank off so that I can make another fuel pump block off/petcock mounting plate.
Let me know if you're interested.

It's interesting to read the positive comments about your bike, which echo the comments made about mine several years ago.
I do wish somebody at Honda was listening and would take a look at our bikes and realize that there might just be a market for a naked twin.

Kai Ju

Here they are, thanks for being so patient.
Like I said, it's still not quite done but it works pretty good right now.
I think this winter I'm going to turn around that thermo lid like you suggested.
I'll install the ignition advance at that time too being the coolant will be drained. I hear that helps mpg on this bike some....

On the tank I think I'm going to come up with some sort of aux tank like some of the iron butt riders put on their bikes. Have something custom made to fit on the back seat for any touring I might do on this bike, still waiting to hear back from chickenstrip on how to install hardbags.

VTS
Attached Thumbnails 2001 naked, I know, but it turned out nice reeel nice-dsc_0023.jpg   2001 naked, I know, but it turned out nice reeel nice-dsc_0020.jpg   2001 naked, I know, but it turned out nice reeel nice-dsc_0024.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by VTS
Here they are, thanks for being so patient.
Like I said, it's still not quite done but it works pretty good right now.
I think this winter I'm going to turn around that thermo lid like you suggested.
I'll install the ignition advance at that time too being the coolant will be drained. I hear that helps mpg on this bike some....

On the tank I think I'm going to come up with some sort of aux tank like some of the iron butt riders put on their bikes. Have something custom made to fit on the back seat for any touring I might do on this bike, still waiting to hear back from chickenstrip on how to install hardbags.

VTS
It looks really clean and quite different from what I expected.
With the custom radiator you were able to retain the stock battery box and associated wiring, nice job.
How often does the fan cycle ?
At what temp does it come on and when does it shut off ?
Just a word of caution, when I first built mine I thought one fan was enough, only to find out that at 100 plus ( temp and speed) it wasn't.
You don't have room for two fans on top but might have room underneath.
I still have that fan, let me know if you want it.
Here is also a pic of the thermostat housing lid turned around, to give you some inspiration.

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails 2001 naked, I know, but it turned out nice reeel nice-image019.jpg   2001 naked, I know, but it turned out nice reeel nice-image022.jpg  

Last edited by kai ju; 10-18-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 10-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by rooster
Sorry I thought it was implied "V twin fighter" I personaly like the 919. My buddy has one and it is a nice bike but IMHO lacked personality that a V twin has. Put a pipe on it and it sounds like any other street bike. Put a pipe on a 90 degree V twin and people turn and look to see what is making that sound. Even more fun when it comes from a sportbike.
I dunno, I love the sound a liter bike I4 makes with a good full exhaust system.
My ZRX1100 snarled when you got on the gas. To me the VTR sounds like a lawn mower on steroids, though my TBR slip-ons made it sound much nice. I also like how fast I4s rev up.
On the other hand, could you imagine doing this to a rc51? The superbike bars would make it more comfortable, the swingarm and frame look sweet, and the 120hp+, stock USD forks, and fuel injection certainly do not hurt. And RC51s sound MEAN.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Squid

aamikah is on a distinguished road
great looking bike, very nice fit and finish look to it. I'm from the northwest too. Do you happen to know of any welders and/or machine shops up here that can do motorcycle sized projects?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

I dunno, I love the sound a liter bike I4 makes with a good full exhaust system.
My ZRX1100 snarled when you got on the gas. To me the VTR sounds like a lawn mower on steroids, though my TBR slip-ons made it sound much nice. I also like how fast I4s rev up.
On the other hand, could you imagine doing this to a rc51? The superbike bars would make it more comfortable, the swingarm and frame look sweet, and the 120hp+, stock USD forks, and fuel injection certainly do not hurt. And RC51s sound MEAN.
I know what you mean, I have a 03' 954 in the garage right now and it is like driving an F1 sportcar around on the street, It has stk exhaust so I can rip around without anyone hearing me. Unfortunately it is like driving a F1 sportcar on the street. It just goes too fast too easy. You can't ride it without having fun with it. Now I don't have any tickets or accidents.
The wife says one bike has to go, here in the northwest we have a small 4-5 month window for riding unless you want to ride in the rain. I have soo much time in the superhawk project to sell it and keep the stock 954.

I did consider doing a naked 51. I love the gear driven cams. It was going to be harder if not impossible for the underseat cooling system. More HP more heat, less space to put the rad in. Also the ram air, and a few other things made it esp difficult to see an end product that looked finished and not pieced together without spending tens of thousands of dollars on it.
The superbike bars are tooooo wide, they are made to work mostly with stock plastics with some mods. If you've ridden a bike with them they feel too wide and on some bikes it makes the handling hyper, even with a steering damper, because of the extra leverage on countersteering. I also could not beat the price on my Hawk. If I run into a bunch of money I would make a naked 954, 51, and others..

My bike has what is called a mini bar. It is about the same overall width as the width of standard sportbikes. It looks size appropriate and not like a pair of steer horns or dirtbike bars slapped onto a sportbike.

You're right the VTR with stock pipes sounds horrible, this bike needs pipes.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Originally Posted by aamikah
great looking bike, very nice fit and finish look to it. I'm from the northwest too. Do you happen to know of any welders and/or machine shops up here that can do motorcycle sized projects?
By motorcycle sized projects I am assuming you mean small. There are a few.
I am fortunate to have my pops as a 35 yr tool and die worker. The only things I had his help with were the headlight brackets, oil cooler brackets.
I made up cardboard templates and told him what material/size I wanted them in and in some cases I just had him get it cut out rough and I went to work from there.

What kind of things to you want machined/welded????
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

So Kai ju,

You have a pusher fan on top and puller on bottom? Is that what I am seeing.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTS
So Kai ju,

You have a pusher fan on top and puller on bottom? Is that what I am seeing.
Yeah I just re-read your message to me, They are above and below, but are you pushing out of the inside seat area, or are you pulling in with the two fans?

VTS
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by VTS
Yeah I just re-read your message to me, They are above and below, but are you pushing out of the inside seat area, or are you pulling in with the two fans?

VTS
The fan above the radiator is a pusher, the one below a puller.

I no longer have that set up, I'm now running two pushers from above the radiator,i.e. hot air exits down towards the tire.

Kai Ju
Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Squid

aamikah is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTS
By motorcycle sized projects I am assuming you mean small. There are a few.
I am fortunate to have my pops as a 35 yr tool and die worker. The only things I had his help with were the headlight brackets, oil cooler brackets.
I made up cardboard templates and told him what material/size I wanted them in and in some cases I just had him get it cut out rough and I went to work from there.

What kind of things to you want machined/welded????
I am one of the lucky 10% or so of people who are unemployed, and I have decided to use the downtime to design a complete bike. I have always wanted to and now I have the time.

So, I am looking for someone to weld up a frame and swingarm. I know some welders from previous jobs but they mostly did large thicker materials. They may be able to do it, but I'd be interested in learning of other options too.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:22 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

I guess it all depends on what you want to make. I would suggest using a current frame off another bike. Then you already have a VIN # and you don't have to go through all the hoops with the state patrol to get it on the road as a home made. Also with and existing frame you have all the engineering already into it for weight distribution, handling, strength and so on..... What are you wanting to make????
Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Squid

tapatio is on a distinguished road
I've come full circle. I had a VTR1000 - totaled by a psycho biotch in a civic - got a 1098, which is great for canyons and track days, but miss my Superhawk. The 1098 ergos are horrible. I want a naked VTR with dirtbike handlebars - essentially what you have built. How much time/money did it take you to complete your bad *** VTR streetfighter?