Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

winterizing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Question winterizing?

antone with any pointers on keepin the hawk safe I currently have it in the carport(no other options but I cant stand seein snow on her . what would the most important things to do be? just had a full service so all the fluids are fresh , anyone?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You can get a pretty good cover for under a hundred bucks. Lot of snow up there this year? Been very dry in recent years. My family lost a home to fire last winter up there. Snow is good for the forest - not so good for the bird!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Talking Winterize

keep battery charged
Stabil in the fuel..run it until into carbs...you don't want rank gas in there
Do you have mice??..wreak havoc in airbox...metal screening over rubber intake...serious.. you should see what the little swine did in mine
Can you get your tires off the ground?
If it;s ourside..mist it with WD 40..on metal parts
Store seat..cover that area..

Important that you whisper to it once in awhile
"Good night my sweet prince"
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
get the tires off the ground like said above and the Stabilizer in the fuel
Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Back Marker

thnx guys yes , to nu hawk just today got hit with almost six inches, i'd say,sorry about the loss. what would you all say to putting up a shed for protection , obviously extra shelter is good but does the cold really get to the hawk ,what if I start her and let her run for a while? and how would the stabil do if I did that ? just would hate to deal with problems once the seasons back:-(
Old 01-12-2007, 08:22 PM
MotoGP

I would say yes to the shed if you're at your place of residence for a while. If you're renting it's hard to move to the next place. I would be lost without my shop. Both bikes are in there most of the time and if I need room I move them out while I work on whatever and then back they go. Cover from the elements is important. Paint fade and parts cracking are accelerated by weather elements. I like my shed for the protection but mostly for working on the bikes. I've got a little heater that keeps me warm and I can set up lights to see things better - also good for storing the many bottles and tubes of stuff it takes to keep one of these on the road. I have them covered with old blankets just to keep the dust off. They don't feel cold any more than they feel lonesome. When we're having it cold but I know I will be riding in the warmer parts of the day I bring the bike up to the office and put it in back so it's warm when I take it out for a ride.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:25 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by azhawk1
antone with any pointers on keepin the hawk safe I currently have it in the carport(no other options but I cant stand seein snow on her . what would the most important things to do be? just had a full service so all the fluids are fresh , anyone?
You mean like this? LOL.

Even tho' it did snow on my superhawk 2 years ago, I'm from south Texas so what do I know. I'd just put a good m/c specific cover over it and periodically charge the battery if you can't ride it plus add some stabil to the gas tank and run it for a bit.

But then again, it's going to about 80f here tomorrow so I'll be riding!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Back Marker

unfortunately i am renting but am willing to cut my losses for a nice hawk house. what would you all say is the best bet for a trickle charger for two bikes? and just curious Wicks why the seat removal? and doesnt a cover build up moisture when its warmer which would be worse than just the snow , sorry if this is repetative for anyone.??:
Old 01-12-2007, 09:50 PM
MotoGP

Most all of the $80 covers that I've seen all mention some thing about "breathing material" or yada, yada so I don't think that's a problem. Battery Minders have a little jack that you plug into like stero headphones - it's hardly noticable and they have a two bike model. Weather just gets into microscopic defects in the paint and plastics and just gets bigger and bigger and bigger. Sam's Club sells a snap together little shed that would work but my God those dam things sell for nearly a thousand bucks. I'd save my money, buy a cover and try to move to a place with a little garage or even a carport that you can hang some plastic on to make a little shelter for it next year. And speaking of covers - try watching Craigslist in Phoenix. I see them here all the time for #20-$30.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:56 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you married? I use to keep my bike in the living room, no seriously.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Back Marker

actually my wifes the one that suggested that (living room) b-cuz hers is the sv but I dont think the landlord/nieghbor would appreciate that that. I did find a 8'-10' aluminium shed for 297.00 at home depot so I think that our ticket. once again realy appreciate all your input. all the more knowledge please.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:17 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it one of those aliuminum ones? I put one of those together, supposed to take a weekend, YEAH RIGHT!!!! It took a weekend to put the damn floor together, a buddy and I put the shed together in about 5 days!! Those damn little screws were the BIGGEST PITA!!! They're about half an inch long and the holes don't line up ARRRRGGGG!!! Then the damn thing got blown away by a hurricane :-( lasted through 2 but the last one got it. it actually lifted spun and then blew apart, pretty wild. Oh well rant over and good luck IMO it's worth the money to have one that's already put together delivered but if you don't have the cash that's understandable they're not cheap.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you get a lot of snow, make sure the shed roof is capable of handling it. Those cheap metal sheds will cave in, then you'll have a bigger cluster-fu%k on your hands. I bought a 10x15 vinyl/steel garage. Made my own PT wood foundation. Of course it houses two bikes, a shelf full of garden crap, and my riding mower, which currently has a 48" blade on the front. It took 3 days to level and build the foundation, and two days to build the shed. My wife helped me. She's pretty good with that kind of stuff.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Winterize

Hey it's been minus 30 up here..we know about winterize..Kidding..Just a comment about starting it up from time to time.. AGAIN make sure you put Stabil or similar product and run it long enough to get treated gas into carbs..If you can manage it..keep gas tank filled..little gas line antifreeze..spray WD 40 inisde tank if not filled..try to spray up underneath..under the top of the tank with cap open..Now about starting it..unless you run it long enough to bring engine right up to operating temp..don't do that..you only create moisture/condesation through out engine..not good warm it totally or leave it be..

Dave:smile:
Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
I agree with the casual starting throughout the winter- Not good for the bike at all. Especially in sub-zero. you can really do some damage.

Unless she's in a heated area, like a heated shop above freezing or in your living room. Just make sure the wife's not home!

It's hard to hear about the guys down south riding this time of year.. I am at work, it's -61 Degrees Celcius with the windchill right now.