Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Trail braking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
RideSmart trackday at the Texas Motorsport Ranch (Cresson, TX) on the big 3.1 mile track...Monday September 17th....ridesmart.info
I've got an 8x12 ez-up with shade to spare.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
You can read all the books in the world over and over again and don't get me wrong they can help but there's no substitue for seat time. Get as much of it as you can and practice only one aspect at a time. If you go out there thinking I'm going to work on body positioning, shifting and braking you'll get yourself thinking too much and that's the worst thing you can do.

As far as when they're doing it guess what everybody rides differently so no two people do it the same. Rossi brakes later than Hayden, Hayden holds it longer than Pedrosa etc.... I like to hold it until I'm right before the apex, release dive it in gas it out. Someone on a twin can get into the gas sooner then someone on an I4 so obviously the two riders will do it differently as well.

Another key to not FREAKING out going into a corner is to make sure you're looking THROUGH the corner. The further down the road you focus the slower it seems you're going, if you focus right in front of you it seems like you're flying. Do NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT focus on the entry point and DO NOT target fixate on where you could run wide or guess what you will run wide. You usually end up where you are looking so focus on where you want to go not where you don't want to be.
our local doc wong clinic is great because they really stress and go over ( every month ) the 7 SR's that keith writes about. it's funny how just knowing what they are helps you avoid them. we're really lucky to have one of keiths ex-instuctors here teaching our classes.

tim
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Must be nice!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
Originally Posted by cscrawford
RideSmart trackday at the Texas Motorsport Ranch (Cresson, TX) on the big 3.1 mile track...Monday September 17th....ridesmart.info
I've got an 8x12 ez-up with shade to spare.
what level are you taking. I shoull be helping out the teaching in level 1. were you on the blue hawk there last time?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Back Marker

Yep!

Yes, that was me on the Blue SH in Level 1. I'll be in Level 2 this time. Which instructor were you??? Red TL/airplane mechanic? There was another guy on a Gixxer I talked with quite a bit who was real helpful. You guys were all great. I was impressed. It's a small world!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
I was riding with ty that day trying to get ready for the race the next weekend. I was on the yellow hawk #230. I remember talking to you for a quick min.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Back Marker

Yes, you were the only other SH out there. I thought you were one of the instructors from your email. I was hoping to hook up with you later but it was a crazy day! Maybe we can get on the track at the same time toward the end of the day. I'd like you to watch my mistakes etc.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
yeah I just started being one of the instructors for level one at the tws day on monday. I should be going to MSRC. so I should be able to run couple of laps with you. Get with Scott Foster he's really good at giving feedback. but I'll try and look out for you when I get up there.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Back Marker

Which one is Scott? I may have worked with him. I think they should post photos/names of instructors on the website.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
he's on the white and yellow gsxr without the windscreen. he owns MOTOACE.com so dave wil point him out at the riders meeting and he does the track ride in the morning. if you can take the ride with him in his truck he give more info then the the people in the other cars get because he's able to talk to whole time. I might go on it just because I haven't been on the long track in a while.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cliby
there are a couple of more street oriented books one by Nick Ienatsch about sport riding technique and another by Lee Parks called Total Control - maybe more real world useful and lots of practice techniques for the street. check 'em out.
+1 on both those books. I pick both of them up fairly often to get me thinking about the mental aspects of riding.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Originally Posted by kevink2
Yes, that's one way of looking at it. Instead of finishing your braking in a straight line before you start leaning into a turn, you keep braking until you hit the apex and are ready to open up the throttle. However the more you are leaned over, the less front brake you can use, because you risk tucking the front tire, so you must gradually release the front brake as lean angle increases. I think it's an important technique to master as it will help you stay on line if you overshoot a corner. Using too much rear brake in this situation will stand the bike up pushing you further away from your desired line. Once you get it down, you may feel that it's actually safer to trail brake a bit in every corner- you are in more control of bike throughout the corner rather than freewheeling in and solely depending on lean angle to maintain proper line. If something unexpected occurs mid-corner and you are freewheeling, it is very difficult to once again get on the brakes while leaned over without tucking the front. Gradually rolling off the front brake ensures you are in control throughout the turn regardless of what may come. Hope that makes sense!
I've never thought about teh way I brake, but I guess it comes from the way I rode mountain bikes. Cause I ALWAYS trail brake. It just feels "safer" to ME, riding the brake whilst leaned over, rather than rolling on the gas. I dunno I feel in more control....but that's just me.