Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

TO RE-JET CARBS OR NOT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Squid

raptorrider is on a distinguished road
TO RE-JET CARBS OR NOT?

Recently i purchased and installed a set of used D and D slip-ons on Fleabay. Bike seems to be running fine, although when letting off throttle at mid to low rpms there is quite a bit of back popping, which is a nice sound to me. My local Honda dealer stated that the bike is probably running lean now and could burn a hole in the pistons. For the sum of $340 he will jet the carbs and dyno-tune the engine. What do you many wise men think of this. Thank you.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think that's a good price if he can deliver the product. He's got a dyno? Or he's paying somebody? What jet kit - read your *** off Factory Pro gets the vote. Settings are here in the archives. Unless this guy owns a Superhawk I think he over estimates his skills for the price quoted.

The LAST place you want to be is a pissing contest over the tuning of a Superhawk with a Honda dealer. especially when he has your bike, says he needs another $300 to "really get 'er right".

Superhawks all have that burble, bang on decel because of all the unburned fuel that hits the hot exhausts.

Look up PAIR block-off plates.

What you don't want is detonation inside the can because that can be damaging to more than just the can.

The jetting has been too rich on mine since I bought it. When I switched to the Jardines it quieted down some but still runs way rich. It bangs and pows on decel everytime. It's not like it was with the bored out stockers. They would detonate every once in a while and I would get off the bike looking for missing parts.

If it's been hot where you are this makes the bark even worse because the air is much thinner and full of humidity. Wait until September-October before you pull the trigger. You might learn a great deal about tuning just by carefully monitoring how the bike responds as the weather cools.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Squid

nievesalvarez is on a distinguished road
Oh that's great that you got a bike second handed but i think you have checked it before purchasing.
You should go to mechanic near to you and check it once again.
So You get understand that what's wrong with your newly purchased bike.
OK Thank you
Old 09-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Squid
Squid

fpalbrecht is on a distinguished road
I would find out if along with the dyno, do they use an oxygen sensor to figure out the jetting. Every bike is different. You can't just copy jet settings. A dyno/O2 sensor combination is the way to go. They stick a rod into your exhaust and run threw the dyno and it tells them the fuel burn ratio. Then make jet adjustments.
If your anywhere near Michigan, Fast Bikes in Grand Rapids does an outstanding job. They tuned my Superhawk and I'm very happy.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:22 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
if you are intersted and have the money, give it a shot - you might learn something. Personally, from my own expeirence, with just a set of slip ons I would not do anything except maybe shim the needles. You could disable the PAIR assembly while you are at it and learn how the bike is put together. If you go further, the gain is unlikely to be much and its just as easy to get minutely tiny increases in power on the dyno and have it run worse in real world. You can do nearly as well road testing it - that is dependent on the tuner of course - but in most cases I think that is correct. I would NOT use the dynojet kit with drilling slides/springs - it does not work for the needle setting and can lead to a lot of fiddling. So as nuhawk says use the Factory Pro kit. I would not worry if it is running stock filter, stock jetting with just slip ons regarding running too lean - it just doesn't happen if the rest of the bike is stock.