Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

correct number of cam chain links between sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 AM
Squid

dsevans is on a distinguished road
correct number of cam chain links between sprockets

I am doing the re-assemble after valve shimming. I am trying to confimr the timing will be correct. I only did the front cly. Before I took the cam shafts out, I noticed 1 sprocket had 2 arrows and the other had an infiniti sign. I counted the links between and it was 9=18 pins.
Now putting it together ther are 8 links = 16 pins. It didn't seem too tight, I only put the sprockets in by hand and there is still slack in it?
I don't see any spec in the manual. I am wondering if it matters about the number of links between the 3 gears, or will the tensioner compensate for slack no matter where it is?
There will be the most slack there because I am doing it last, I mean putting the rear sprocket in last, while pulling the rest tight/snug.
Should I make it a ling looser?
Thank you.
Darren
Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
It should be as tight as it can be strung between the two sprockets. You may have counted wrong as 1 link is a long way off for the short distance between sprockets. Did you use marking or zip ties like was suggested? As I posted before, pull the chain tight from the crank in the tunnel without the Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT), then over the sprocket, then over the second sprocket. That way your are minimizing the slack as much as possible, the CCT in the opposite cam chain tunnel will take up slack on that side.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Squid

dsevans is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help.
I had the rear sprocket in the wrong position. The FI was hard to see if it was lined up wit hthe cly. head. It was above, by 1 link. Now the measurements are what I took before dis-assembly.
I should have zip tied it, but I didn't.
It looks like it will all be correct. Once I understood how the lines on the sprockets worked, it wasn't too bad.

Darren