General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

yet another brake thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
yet another brake thread.

I have been reading the posts and such , hoping I could get answers before sounding stupid lol ...but alas guess I am going to venture in and feel stupid.
I have read many times about others upgrades ie braded lines etc. but the threads only state about they changed them out due to the sponginess of the old lines. My question is much simpler and more specific. I am happy enough at the moment with the front brakes other than going to get pads replaced ( not a super thrill rider here so...) however I have had on 2 differnt times (after riding for a while 20 mile jaunts) that when I put on rear brakes at intersections there is no rear brake? but starts working after like nothing is wrong. would you believe this to be the same issue as to why people have been switching to braded lines and if so is this a issue with the rear brabes on these bikes and not so much front brakes. I have parked the bike in my living room (no comment) till I can afford brakes and tires not willing to risk my butt for for lack of a few things needed.
did get a price on local shop here on dunlop front tire mounted $165. not really sure on prices but seems fair. havent asked them about brakes tho yet, may do those myself pads I dont think would be that expensive. but dang was shocked about the price of braided lines I must say.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
I have been reading the posts and such , hoping I could get answers before sounding stupid lol ...but alas guess I am going to venture in and feel stupid.
I have read many times about others upgrades ie braded lines etc. but the threads only state about they changed them out due to the sponginess of the old lines. My question is much simpler and more specific. I am happy enough at the moment with the front brakes other than going to get pads replaced ( not a super thrill rider here so...) however I have had on 2 differnt times (after riding for a while 20 mile jaunts) that when I put on rear brakes at intersections there is no rear brake? but starts working after like nothing is wrong. would you believe this to be the same issue as to why people have been switching to braded lines and if so is this a issue with the rear brabes on these bikes and not so much front brakes. I have parked the bike in my living room (no comment) till I can afford brakes and tires not willing to risk my butt for for lack of a few things needed.
did get a price on local shop here on dunlop front tire mounted $165. not really sure on prices but seems fair. havent asked them about brakes tho yet, may do those myself pads I dont think would be that expensive. but dang was shocked about the price of braided lines I must say.

The rear brake doesn't do much on these bikes (or any sport bike), but it should bring you slowly to a stop at intersections. Bleed the brake line, making sure to flush out all the old brake fluid, and clean the pads and the rear brake should work about as well as it ever will.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, check to see if the caliper is free to move side to side. It can seize.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:41 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Our calipers on these bikes do not move side to side

Oops didnt read the whole front post.

and I have used the rear break less that 5 times that I have owned the bike in the past 3 years. SO much compression that engine braking takes care of all that.

Last edited by zmaniv; 07-04-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Our calipers on these bikes do not move side to side

If you are speaking of the front calipers, you are correct.

This thread is about the rear brake, and you are mistaken.

Rex
Old 07-04-2011, 01:13 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
+1 on seized caliper as well as bleeding the system. To answer your question, this is not likely a braided/non braided line problem. Your rear brake accounts for a very small amount of stopping power like killer said, so sponginess/fade/bite and all of those things are much less noticeable.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:43 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
ok thanks that clears up my path forward then on the next rout to take on that part . was worried lol that something was terribly going haywire (even tho I really only use the rear when on a hill at an intersection or such just to hold me in place. fronts work great.
Thanks guys