General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Wish me luck

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Squid

ZTurtle is on a distinguished road
Wish me luck

I haven't been able to buy a Hawk as planned due to second gear in my CJ lunching on me.
But I have been referred to a fella that is selling his 98 with 12k miles on it for $1500.
It's been dumped on both sides, and looks rough as a cob (from what I hear - I have yet to see it).
But a coworker has ridden it and said it runs and rides fine, just cosmetically challenged.
I am going to see it on Weds, and I hope it runs as well as I have been told.
The guy is a motivated seller, so I am going to offer him $1000 and see. At that price, I could biuld how I wanted it, and still not have invested serious $. I am sure it will needs tires, tune, pads, chain, sprockets, etc....perhaps not, but that is what I am expecting.
However
What exactly should I be looking for in the way of problems endemic to the model? (Tensioners are stock - already asked)
Thanks to all

Last edited by ZTurtle; 11-15-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
other than cct's the only pitfall of the SH's (that I know of) is the regulator/rectifier. If its a stock one on a 98 it probably does not have a ton of life left in it. Mine (in my 98) went out about a month ago...when/if it goes do an R1 swap. Otherwise superhawks are pretty much bullet proof if they are well kept.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
there no problems endemic to this model other than the R/R and the CCT. 12K is basically low mileage unless they were all stunting miles.

The thing I would be trying to determine is how hard it went down, e.g., frame, swingarm, forks, triples bent? Look at radiators, side cases, wheels rotors for damages as well. Look carefully and ride if you can so you can check alignment, clutch, engine, brakes, etc. Look for gas, oil, and water leaks, and look at all fluids for clean or dirty.

for $1000-1500, worst case, you will likely be able to part it out and get your money back, but who wants to go through that if you don't need to. Look carefully and take an expert with you if you can.

break a leg Z!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Here's a decent list of stuff to check: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115537

Good luck
Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Squid

This thing was one of the worst pieces of rolling monstrosity that I have ever seen on two wheels. It was rougher than an ex wife with five kids.
It was missing a lower fairing. It's front tire was worn out. The rear rotor was eaten up - it not only had grooves, but it was lumpy. The front rotors were warped.
The paint looked like it had sand mixed in it.
The left clip was only half there under the grip - when you grabbed it, the end flapped.
The sprocket was bucktoothed, and the engine block had paint pencil on it. The stock cans had been pulled apart, baffles torn out, and screwed back together(and the screws were rusting out).
The clutch lever wobbled.
The rear subframe was polished in some parts, rusting in other parts. The frame was kinda polished....to a rough swirl.
Bad miss, coughing through the carb(prolly due to the unbaffled exhaust).
It had a set of really really shiny passenger pegs.
And oh yeah - it leaked oil.
I could go on and on, but really - it was bad even for $1k. The only way the bike would be worth it would be for parts....but I couldn't find a single part on it that wasn't jacked up.
I can't believe that anyone would drive it down the road.

Last edited by ZTurtle; 11-18-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
It's just cosmetically challenged, dude! You'll be fine- just put oil it it weekly and make sure you at least have half of the sprocket teeth before you ride.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ZTurtle
This thing was one of the worst pieces of rolling monstrosity that I have ever seen on two wheels. It was rougher than an ex wife with five kids.
It was missing a lower fairing. It's front tire was worn out. The rear rotor was eaten up - it not only had grooves, but it was lumpy. The front rotors were warped.
The left clip was only half there under the grip - when you grabbed it, the end flapped.
The sprocket was bucktoothed, and the engine block had paint pencil on it. The stock cans had been pulled apart, baffles torn out, and screwed back together(and the screws were rusting out).
The rear subframe was polished in some parts, rusting in other parts. The frame was kinda polished....to a rough swirl.
I could go on and on, but really - it was bad even for $1k. The only way the bike would be worth it would be for parts....but I couldn't find a single part on it that wasn't jacked up.
LOL good god man, sounds like you should have put a .45 slug in it just to put it out of it's misery.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ZTurtle

All of those extras and custom features, and still only a grand? If you're going to pass, can I have the phone number?

Almost as laughable as some of the "Rare" Hawks being listed for $6K and up.

That is an hour or two you'll never get back.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
All of those extras and custom features, and still only a grand? If you're going to pass, can I have the phone number?

Almost as laughable as some of the "Rare" Hawks being listed for $6K and up.

That is an hour or two you'll never get back.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Squid

7more7: I think that it would use a little more oil than that. The sprocket had teeth like the trailer park meth girl that he had probably left to come meet me.

NooB: Had I been armed, I would've shot him for treating the poor bike that way.

Trackday: Believe it or not, he pushed the "rare" card. It was true, but not in the way he meant. I have rarely seen a bike that bad.

Thanks for all the support guys. Anyone know of bikes for sale near East TN? I got an idea for a thread from my visit to the frankenbike, and after that I am going to take a peak at the classifieds.

Last edited by ZTurtle; 11-19-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Spelling. It's not an option.