General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Winter Project - Meet Alice

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Winter Project - Meet Alice

This is Alice. I picked her up for $235 last week so that I'll have something to do this winter that's motorcycle related. Winter here sucks! So anyway, Alice is a'hurtin! She's a '79 XS750SF TRIPLE with about 28k miles. I don't think she's run in quite a few years. Last known registration was about 10 years ago. Others have tried and failed. I will not. I am going to do my best at going for the cafe racer look. Here's a rundown as she is now:

- She used to sport a Vetter but that's gone...thank God! The rats nest of wiring remains as does the need for a new headlight. That's going to be one of the last things I get.
- The high-back seat is ripped, taped, and simply disgusting to look at. $60 shipped got an almost new stock one from ebay but will probably trim the foam and recover anyway.
- The tank, surprisingly, has not a spot of rust, inside or out. Will be painted black. Something is rattling around loose inside though. I get the key Thursday (PO and I both had only about 3 hours sleep when the transaction went down) so I'll find out if it's a petcock screen or a rat skeleton. Maybe a Hot Wheels car?
- Missing left side cover.
- Most chrome is not good. Will replace or paint/powdercoat as necessary.
- The kickstand tang is broken. Just got one off ebay and will recondition it.
- The forks will probably just get tossed. I'm going to try to graft on the VTR forks after the 1000RR swap. Hopefully the carbon fiber front fender will transfer as well.
- AND, if all works out well the entire front brake system will transfer over too, including the Galfer wave rotors!
- Carbs are now cleaned. Found a bugs nest (mud dobber?) in one of the jets and its associated port. That was fun cleaning out....not. 1/3 can of carb cleaner later.... Anyway, one of the float bowls is cracked and repaired with JB Weld by a PO. Niiiice!
- Carb boots soaked in parts cleaner and inspected - some outer cracking but good inner seal.
- Emgo pods ordered. Airbox will be checked for it's flame retardent properties. I don't expect it will fare well. I'm researching the breather filter.
- Wiring harness has some broken connectors. Will find one on ebay for cheap and replace as necessary.
- Turn signals will go away. Cafe racers don't have signals!
- Overall lots of rust. Will take many parts to work and use media blaster to get clean. All will get powdercoated or repainted black.
- Wheels will be painted black. Conti tires changed out for Avon eventually.
- Exhaust is trashed. Just a minor scrape visible on the right megaphone but the entire system underneath is all rust. Will probably fall off after it starts again and I'll be forced to get a Mac. Isn't there anything better? I did some research.
- Brakes/clutch work (amazingly) but I'll go through them and clean/replace seals as required.
- All fluids will be drained and replaced - already on hand.

That's it for now, folks! I'll post more as I find it, and I'm SURE there will be more.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Project - Meet Alice-dsc03949-sm.jpg   Winter Project - Meet Alice-dsc03950-sm.jpg   Winter Project - Meet Alice-dsc03951-sm.jpg   Winter Project - Meet Alice-dsc03952-sm.jpg  
Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 PM
The Underdog
Back Marker

Edwards07 is on a distinguished road
Those are bitchin' bikes. A friend of mine just bought one that is a little cafe'd out and it rocks! But i also am jealous, for i've been trying to find that same kind of project that isn't a complete rust bucket, not to mention a money pit. Good luck and keep us posted!

-Miles
Old 09-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I spy a GTO, and I'm quite jealous
Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Squid

Throwedsmurf is on a distinguished road
Quote: bugs nest (mud dobber?)

Do you not know what a mud dobber is? I'm confused by this part. lol
Old 09-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
i'd love to find a worthy cafe project PLEASE keep us posted! i'm looking for a CB750...i want to stay honda!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Smurf, sorry, misspelled - Mud dauber: wasp that builds its nest with mud. Could have been some other small variety of bug but there are limited species which make this sort of nest. Maybe a leaf-cutter bee? A ******* bug, okay! It climbed into the carb jet and built a nest.

Syclone, yeah the Goat is fun but I have too many summer toys to be living in upstate NY.

Andy, yes Hondas are great but they never made a triple. I probably wouldn't have bought the bike if it wasn't unusual.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
http://www.tmcf.us/forums/showthread.php?t=9902

local guy with similar plans....
Old 09-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
Looks cool. Actually, looks like absolute crap, but I'm sure she'll be a stunner after you've done 'er.

I'm curious what some of you guys think would be good donor bikes for such a project. What is it about the triple, besides likely sounding cool? I know the Yamaha twins are popular for street tracker projects. The old CB 450/550's etc look good as do some of the old Honda twins. How about the 2 strokes...RD's, Kawi triples etc?

I found a good way to search ideas is to go to ebay, pull up a make, then enter a year range and just start looking. Sometimes you'll see completed projects that are really, really cool.

Just curious what some ideal donors would be...I'd like a cafe-racer bike...did a 79CB750 I pulled out of a garage for $200. Added a Mac, superbike bars, had carbs done and ended up selling it for $1300. No pics, though.

Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:09 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Not to send any bad voodoo your way ...but my friend Mitch recently wrecked his '79 Triple. A high side that surprisingly didn't do much damage to the bike but tore him up.
Good luck with it though...I know Mitch had fun rebuilding his.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:27 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Looks like it should be a lot of fun Greg. I've been wanting a project bike for a while now but the wife says no. She will let me have all the new bikes I can afford, but nothing that is going to sit in the garage looking ugly while I'm gone for years at a time. LOL
Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

CS, thanks for being honest. I know it looks shitty now. But for $200 what does one expect? Ideas? Nah, I don't have any ideas at all.....</sarcasm> I'm thinking that if I can get the VTR front end on it I'll be halfway there. I'll trim the seat foam for a custom look, maybe do a cafe tail. Need slightly longer rear shocks from a more recent donor bike to add at least rebound adjustability and to get the rear up in the air a bit....not too much though. Ditch the rear fender and replace with something custom or modified. Everything is going to be black - wheels, fork lowers, tank, side covers, and specific parts of the engine. Some polished aluminum. Very little chrome. Those are my ideas. Oh, and the exhaust will be a challenge. I don't like Mac quality. Jardine has something. More research required.

BRB, I have no plans on riding this bike like I do the 1000RR or the VTR. This is a Friday/Saturday night at Starbucks kinda bike. Tires for these things are just too skinny for my riding style! As a matter of fact, if the VTR front goes on the front tire will be a 120/70-17 and the rear will be a 120/90-18 (130 with minor mods).

Drew, I'll have plenty of time in the garage/basement this winter. Gotta keep the fire going in the woodstove, with occasional trips outside to shovel snow! Nothing ugly in my garage. EVERYTHING has potential. It just depends on your creativity.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
That sounds great. Just keep us posted with the metamorphosis. Someday I'll build the Garage Majal and actually have somewhere to work on these twisted dream projects!

On the exhaust...how about find a trade school "intern" with access to a TIG welder and tube bender...and have a custom exhaust made for close to the cost of materials. I had some bodywork done along those lines years ago, and it was a huge win-win. Gives them a taste of real world projects, possibly a good grade, and best of all you get your job done, on the cheap.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
The bike is cool Hawkrider, but you better save your money 'cause you knoiw what's going to happen when we get you on a sled this year.....
Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Yeah, I know...I'm going to have to buy a lot of gas and oil to put in your sled! haha
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Well at least it's rust free so you won't have that to worry about....Hey send me a 12 pack of Utica Club. BTW have fun this winter working on it and keep us posted. If you're heading down my way let me know, I've discovered some fantastic roads
Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Superstock

pigwings
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
- Exhaust is trashed. Just a minor scrape visible on the right megaphone but the entire system underneath is all rust. Will probably fall off after it starts again and I'll be forced to get a Mac. Isn't there anything better? I did some research.
- Brakes/clutch work (amazing)
DK used to carry 3 - 1 exhaust for the triple. Don't remember if it was a Mac.
Anyway, it was a lot lighter than stock and looked fine. Traded mine for a XS650 that I put a brazilion $$ into.
Have fun and keep us posted with progress-pictures?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

She RUNS!!! Not very well, but she definitely runs. After getting a new/old ignitor unit (black box) off ebay and verifying good spark she fired up after less than a second of cranking! I even threw the seat on and took her up and down the street. Shifts well in all gears. Front brakes are downright scary weak! Running lean above 6k and idle is hanging. Now it's time to rebuild/adjust the carbs and get new carb boots. The old boots are a little cracked and I think the addition of individual pod filters has leaned her out too much. Tach was also not responding well and is not serviceable. Found a NOS one for $60!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Reborn, first time she's been started in who-knows-how-many years:

http://media.putfile.com/XS-750---It-Lives-Again
Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
WOO-HOO!

Lick your fingers before doing a pipe check. Lessens burns and it's more accurate.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
That's great, but wasn't Alice supposed to be a winter project? NOW what are you gonna do?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Squid

shawkpilot is on a distinguished road
I thought you'ld be taller! Just kidding, nice job. I wish I had more mechanical skills.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Good job
Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shawkpilot
I thought you'ld be taller!

You've come a long way in a short amount of time. She sounds good especially after you tweaked the idle. Is the FE transplant next? Have you measured the triples? What will you do with the rear? Are these mono-shocked or do they have two?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

She runs even better now that I took some crap out of one of the #3 carb jets. Now that I know what I'm working with and the motor and drivetrain are good I'll be stripping her down pretty much completely and starting from scratch. Lots of black engine paint and glossy black for frame and pieces parts. Probably going to send the side covers and tank out for a nice coat of arrest-me-yellow. Never had a yellow bike before and I think the yellow and black will go well together. Black's a PITA anyway. Planning on doing major mods to the seat pan to get a cafe seat look but with only foam and upholstery...maybe some yellow piping. I have an extra seat pan in case I f*&k it up...which I probably will. The wheels will be black. Front end from the VTR as mentioned earlier. Shocks from another bike, preferably with preload and rebound adjustments. 1 up rear tire size. 120/70 front. Maybe find a 5 spoke front to match the rear more closely. Wiring harness will be redone. Signals will go away. Cafe racer front fairing with round headlight. Probably going to look into getting an LED taillight integrated into the rear of the seat. Custom gage brackets with stock tach and probably an aftermarket speedo. Maybe update the controls with something more modern but I think I'm stuck with the foot controls. I'm thinking about a toaster tank from a donor bike as well.

So those are my ideas. We'll see how it all pans out this winter.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Throw a bunch of chrome on her, stretch the swing arm...she bee good as gold...teeth that is...

LOL....

Wow,,,
Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Ooooo, maybe black chrome to stay with the color scheme.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Back Marker

bluesman
My friend back in Kiev many years ago used to have one - nice bike and can look great when caferacered

I have project too in my garage

CB750K2. Needs a lot of cosmetic work, picked up for 600 Euros - frame to repaint, seat to reupholster, exhaust to rechrome (as well as rear fender and rear light), needs airbox, new headlight reflector, stock front fender. But paperwork is in order.
My problem is that I bought practicaly mint fuel tank, ignition cover and airbox housing in US on eBay, but since sellers refused to send to Europe I left it with my collague in office on Cinncinatti, and just as I was planning to pick up it on my next business trip to US my company decided to go "travel restrictions"....so now it is almost a year since my parts sitting in box in office and my CB sitting in garage
Old 10-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

ebay is your friend...sometimes! Screw the airbox. Go with individual pod filters.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
[quote=Hawkrider; . . .

So those are my ideas. We'll see how it all pans out this winter. [/quote]

That's one helluva list. Where in all this is there time to build another garage. I see Mom's SUV is still under cover. That must mean the GTO is out in the driveway. It looks like my deal here is falling apart. Chas and I were just discussing how to make the shop bigger this afternoon.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

No, no, no. The Goat is in the garage. The TB is in the driveway. When winter comes the bikes will go in the shed out back, except for the XS which will be in parts in the basement. Then the Goat goes on jackstands and battery tender and the TB goes in the garage. The beater Corolla stays in the driveway. I'm going to move a small workshop in the basement this winter so I don't have to freeze my *** off again playing in the unheated garage. Fork work and XS work will happen there. XS reassembly will happen in the spring when it's too cold to ride but warm enough to wrench. Putting it all together should only take a day or so anyway after all the parts have been fitted, cleaned, painted, and polished.

Quick Reply: Winter Project - Meet Alice