General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Whose "Evel Chicken" is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Whose "Evel Chicken" is this?

Displayed at the 08-09-08 Milwaukee Rockerbox ho-down sponsered by the Fuel Cafe. Owner's initials stated were "SB".

R U a forum member?
Attached Thumbnails Whose "Evel Chicken" is this?-pic-0197.jpg   Whose "Evel Chicken" is this?-pic-0198.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
In case you missed it, this bike was featured in, I believe, cycle world a few months back.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny, i went to an AMA Flat Track event over the summer at a track near Deals Gap and the series is pretty much made up of all V-twins. Riders have a choice of running a 650CC or a 1000CC engine in the same classes depending on the track length and power they want to be able to get to the ground.

Mostly the favorites are HD, SV1000, SV650, some Ducs and Aprilia's with a few other favorites like KTM. To my surprise there was a guy running a VTR1000 SuperHawk and he did pretty good. Mid-packer, but hey mid-pack was hauling A$$. I didn't make it to the pits, so no picks, but i thought i would share the info. I was surprised to see a Honda VTR in the field.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superbling
In case you missed it, this bike was featured in, I believe, cycle world a few months back.
yeh, I caught (now I gotta dig in my back issues) but was not sure it was the same mike.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
It was in "Motorcyclist" magazine. I can't remember what month, and I don't have it anymore. The owner races it.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
thats just an awesome looking bike
Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Death Cattle
thats just an awesome looking bike
Personally, I do not like the look but I was never a fan of EK.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
It was featured in the "Me and My Bike" section of Motorcyclist mag a little while back. I'll get you the name after I dig up the issue.

Ugly as sin, in my opinion, but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
I don't know whose bike it was, but I was at Rockerbox.

The Hawk wasn't there, I rode my bicycle...I'm assuming yours was. There was also a hawk with carbonfiber bodywork.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
you can see it at lulu's cafe on tuesday nights as well
Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Here's the whole article.

1998 Honda VTR1000F Super Hawk

photographer: Jim Moy

Name: John Altmann AGE: 41
Home: Milwaukee, WI

This was my first brand-new bike. Super Hawks didn't sell well, and when my local dealer offered me a leftover for $6900, I did that deal. And then-how's this for squid factor?- just three weeks later, late at night on a cloverleaf off-ramp, zip, there goes the front end. Next thing I know, I'm skidding along watching my brand-new bike bounce off the guardrail.

"It was totaled: broken frame and everything. Blue Book value was $9200. After I bought it back from the insurance company for $1500 I was basically at even money, but with a wrecked bike on my hands. So I decided to go roadracing. I kept it all stock- suspension, brakes, even the tires-and it was a great training device. I learned to be really smooth, because any hamfistedness would just tie that bike in knots.

"I roadraced for three years-earning an Expert plate-and then crashed again, highsiding and breaking everything, including my wrist. I was into supermoto by then, so I quit roadracing and turned the 'Super Chicken' into a street-tracker. Flat bars, XR-750 tailsection, a KTM fender bolted backward on the lower triple clamp...but I didn't have the time or the skills to do it right, and it just kind of sat around in my garage.

"Some friends who do have skills-Rick Goldberg and Andy Mauk of MOMBA fame- eventually took an interest and offered to finish the project. All I said was, 'Streettracker/ Evel Knievel,' and they went for it. Of course, I've got an Evel fetish-don't we all? When I was a kid, as soon as Evel finished a jump I'd go straight outside and build a plywood ramp and jump my bicycle over it.

"The stock tank looked wrong, so Rick sliced it up to fit the look. They made bar risers, moved all the electronics out of the way, hand-hammered the front and rear numberplates from aluminum, fabricated the stubby exhausts and went wild with the paint.

"It wheelies even more now because we slid the forks down an inch in the triples to raise the front end, making the riding position more comfortable. And it jumps, too: I've jumped it over curbs, urban jumps, whatever-it flies right, for sure. I think Evel would have approved."

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mo...awk/index.html
Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
They did a really nice job on that bike!