General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Who's still around, let's talk hawks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Squid

Bpiv172 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cadbury64
According to the wiring diagram, there are two wires leading from the fuse, the red/white one goes to the Regulator/Rectifier, the solid red wire goes to the ignition. Disconnect one at a time and see which causes the fuse to blow. Maybe you were right to replace the RR first!
well I haven't replaced the RR yet. I was trying to figure out if that was the main issue yet or not. I bought a voltage meter, because from what I have been reading, I think I might have a short in the system, but thank you I will test those wires and see where I end up next. Unfortunately I can't do anymore work due to the rain.
P.s in no way do I neglect my hawk, she does have a rain cover haha
Old 03-28-2018, 03:27 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bpiv172
well I haven't replaced the RR yet. I was trying to figure out if that was the main issue yet or not. I bought a voltage meter, because from what I have been reading, I think I might have a short in the system, but thank you I will test those wires and see where I end up next. Unfortunately I can't do anymore work due to the rain.
P.s in no way do I neglect my hawk, she does have a rain cover haha
Here's the wiring diagram that I found on-line, not the same format as in the service manual but easier to read I think. RR's are a known weak point, if it is not that then my guess is you would need to look for a chafed wire that is contacting the frame somewhere. Let me know if you need a copy of the service manual to download. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:59 AM
Squid

Bpiv172 is on a distinguished road
So good news, the problem was just the old rectifier, threw the new one on and everyrhing was working. Thanks guys for your advice!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys. Just stopping by - sold my SH to my friend a few years back - and saw the thread. Sure learned a lot on this forum from everyone. Great site. No more superhawk, but considering a Tuono.

assuming spring ever comes............

bill
Old 04-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Night Rider
Squid

Apocalypse is on a distinguished road
still loving my Hawk

I still love my Hawk and quite frankly ive spent so much money on it now that its not even practical to sell it anymore. But not that it matters anyways since i really love the bike way too much anyways. what are some of everyone's favorite mods that they have done to their hawks? Mine are an RC-51 front end cbr900rr rear wheel and jardine rt-one hi mount pipes and a re-sprung and re valved rear shock ive done a lot of other work to the bike but these are the things that i liked the best.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I still love my Hawk and quite frankly ive spent so much money on it now that its not even practical to sell it anymore. But not that it matters anyways since i really love the bike way too much anyways. what are some of everyone's favorite mods that they have done to their hawks? Mine are an RC-51 front end cbr900rr rear wheel and jardine rt-one hi mount pipes and a re-sprung and re valved rear shock ive done a lot of other work to the bike but these are the things that i liked the best.
Most significant for me was the Ohlins shock and resprung fork. Everything after that is icing on the cake.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:43 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
I'm still here, sometimes.

Bought a replacement for the Hawk. Might keep both if I have the space.

Cheap thrills, dead simple to work on.

And yeah, handles great when the suspension is sorted, and enough horsepower to keep me entertained on the street. Nice to be able to use all a bike has, rather than putter around using half of what a Supersport is putting out; or use all of it and be looking over your shoulder expecting to get nailed by cops.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Squid

mileyguard is on a distinguished road
im still poking at my hawk changing the color yet again and trying my hand at the f3 wheel swap and while im at it some basic maintness before my season of riding kicks in cant wait !

( and im finaly getting around to installing the brass choke fittings i bought off a member a few months ago
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
As it looks now I will be a vtr guy forever. I just don't have the desire for a different bike. Plus yeah you pour heart and soul into a bike and it kinda owes you.
I wanted the feel of a new bike so I just upgraded the dash to a newer 600RR. Made it feel modern. Then the front end from the 600RR made it handle modern along with the Penske rear.
Really the styling isn't dated. No one can believe how old it is.
I've only thought of selling my other VTR with the single sided swing atm, 1000RR front end and Mario nava bodywork. I never ride it.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM
Squid

mileyguard is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
As it looks now I will be a vtr guy forever. I just don't have the desire for a different bike. Plus yeah you pour heart and soul into a bike and it kinda owes you.
I wanted the feel of a new bike so I just upgraded the dash to a newer 600RR. Made it feel modern. Then the front end from the 600RR made it handle modern along with the Penske rear.
I've only thought of selling my other VTR with the single sided swing atm, 1000RR front end and Mario nava bodywork. I never ride it.
would love to see that single side swing arm vtr please post a pic sir
Old 04-03-2018, 05:10 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
It looks great but my daily bike has a 52 liter top box and all the other mods I want. Plus I ride every day year round in NYC so this is just too nice.
Attached Thumbnails Who's still around, let's talk hawks.-sss11.28.11-004.jpg   Who's still around, let's talk hawks.-sss11.28.11-005.jpg   Who's still around, let's talk hawks.-sss11.28.11-007.jpg  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Good stuff

I'm Back - I've been away too long - I was embarrassed > three stupid knock overs during the last 3 seasons. Two on same weekend - DOH! But those did minor damage and just required new levers. The last one 18 months ago - I tapped the rear of a pickup that I thought pulled away - as I was looking back - and it messed up the headlight & fairing - now head light points to trees - DAMN! Rode like that last season, which basically means I can't ride in the dark - which I need to do if I want to commute in the morning.

My buddy a moto mech in NorthWest NJ just changed sprockets & chain - then said I'm better off getting a new headlight & fairing since the tabs are busted and he can't adjust the head light. Anyway good to see some familiar names still kicking.

Lastly, I too will never sell this moto - Everyone that has owned one has always regretted selling their VTRs. I will get a two up tourer in the future but will still keep the Hawk!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Squid

wall0228 is on a distinguished road
Thought I will chime in on the still around; I have learned so much from everyone on this forum as the Hawk was my first BIG boy bike. I check in every once in a while to see what else I can do it when I get some money that doesn't have someplace to go.

Looking to freshen up with new fairings as I laid it down last summer and put some led mirrors with signals in them on the bike; I have a set of mirrors off of a CBR1000 with leds in them, I just need to figure out a good way to mount them without it looking like a hack job. Found some posts about using a Fazer mounts, might be the next project.

Does anyone have any current links for full fairings that are still in production that are not the cheap plastic ones off of ebay? I really liked the Mario fairings but he doesn't make them anymore.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:00 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
I really liked the Mario fairings but he doesn't make them anymore.
Moulds went to Wales and fairings are for sale > https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewt...p?f=18&t=34264
Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
Moulds went to Wales and fairings are for sale > https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewt...p?f=18&t=34264
The link on the VTR site for the fairings is dead.
http://www.ferriday.co.uk/honda-vtr1000f/
Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Wicky
I've heard some pretty bad stories about these molds and where they ended up.
I would do a bit of research before even thinking about contacting them, let alone sending any funds.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
still stop by everynow and then to look through the forum

Still snooping around everynow and then, always on the lookout for a low mileage 2005 Superhawk. For some reason this model just ticks all the right boxes for me.

Last year brought a Ducati Enduro, great all-rounder bike, sure was a lot pricey than a Superhawk.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I've heard some pretty bad stories about these molds and where they ended up.
I would do a bit of research before even thinking about contacting them, let alone sending any funds.
Mike, please link us to that info so all can be informed.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by xeris
The link on the VTR site for the fairings is dead.
http://www.ferriday.co.uk/honda-vtr1000f/
This link is dead as well....
And the host main page Ferriday Engineering does not seem to speak about motorcycles at all..
Old 05-01-2018, 11:44 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
I dont come by much at all these days. Sold my Hawk as run out of room to keep it. One garage and 6 bikes dont work.

Got me a CBR1000rr that I dont ride much, mainly riding ADV on my BMW XChallenge.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Still snooping around everynow and then, always on the lookout for a low mileage 2005 Superhawk. For some reason this model just ticks all the right boxes for me.

Last year brought a Ducati Enduro, great all-rounder bike, sure was a lot pricey than a Superhawk.
I picked up the street version a while back. Single greatest motorcycle on planet earth!
Attached Thumbnails Who's still around, let's talk hawks.-img_1401.jpg  
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com

We need to go out riding again sometime
Old 05-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Mike, please link us to that info so all can be informed.
Thanks
Well here is the last info I have heard of where the molds ended up:
Project Blue Belle - Page 11 - VTR1000.ORG
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
We need to go out riding again sometime
Hi Mike, I'm closer to wolverine than you at the moment. I moved to Winston Salem NC last December, will be here for a few years, my kids are attending college here, one's going to NC state, the other UNCSA so makes sense to live here. Then not sure were I will end up? maybe move back to somewhere in California. At the moment enjoying the different scenery we have here, lots more greener than sunny socal. Lots of nice roads too and destinations to visit also.

Ride safe mate.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Well here is the last info I have heard of where the molds ended up:
Project Blue Belle - Page 11 - VTR1000.ORG

EDIT..Ok, crap i guess the Molds went to wales, then to someone else "by Anotherbikerbabe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:27 pm I don't even know where to behind as I was fed so much bullshit I actually thought I was a mushroom living in the dark! Ian showed me the molds the day he bought them off a friend of mine in Wales so I had no reason whatsoever to doubt that Matt was going to make me a set as yeti n matt said " don't worry we'll look after you" so to part pay for full set, I undertook a lot of administration and Web site content work as well as take a set of brand new tyres through to Matt, again, in part payment."

It does imply they were in the hands of this Matt guy.... that really sucks.
Mike thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-03-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

I don't know if anything has changed since then but like I said, do your research before you pull the trigger on these fairings....though they are nice, if you can get them.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Squid

Havoc161 is on a distinguished road
I'm recently back around. The hawk had been sat up for about 2.5-3 summers. Got it back out started working on it and threw my own dumbness pretty much trashed the motor.

The silver lining here is that by some random chance of a miracle, my buddy has started riding and we where looking at bikes for him at the local dealer and BAM red 98 superhawk with 14,000 miles 2,600 dollars. Runs like a top, so......I bought it =) gonna transfer some bits and pieces from the old girl onto the new one and retire it with 73,894 miles. It's bitter sweet I was really hoping to 100k but financialy and for the sake of getting back on the road sooner, it just makes sense.

For anyone who's been here awhile I used to be havoc7685 but threw some password f@#kery im now havoc161. It's good to be back I've missed this forum had some pretty good times.

​​​​
Old 07-20-2018, 11:24 PM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Im around but I have always been into racing cars ... Now that I no longer live in the states I can say it. I street race just about every chance I get and I go to the track when I can. Here in Japan its organized and a lot lot safer. Also there are way more track events near me.

But I think I posted that the VTR might be on its way out for me in the next year or so. I just cant deal with the carbs and for the money to get it injected I can get a SP2 or a sc57... Both are a bit more sporty.

But I will say what came with my bike is this community I think without all of you it would be still blown up due to the CCT issue. You guys helped me a lot. 8541Hawk's carb thread is one of the best written net arcticles I have ever seen.
The machine its self is hearty. It's my first bike and it has been laid down 4 times now and nothing major has been broken. I however will be replacing the scuffed cover and faring after I get sliders as my riding is getting better. Honestly power is nothing to laugh at and All the storms.. lol... I have rode through leave nothing to be desired except for injection.

I guess I will end on one complaint. The stock pipes weighed way way too much and the moriwoki titanium set transformed the bike.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:25 AM
Squid

davo231481 is on a distinguished road
It's been a while since I've posted on here but this site is so more relaxed and easygoing compared to another forum or three that's floating around. So much better than fb. I hope it still continues as it's also helping to keep these fun bikes on the road with its wealth of info
Old 07-21-2018, 04:34 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by davo231481
It's been a while since I've posted on here but this site is so more relaxed and easygoing compared to another forum or three that's floating around. So much better than fb. I hope it still continues as it's also helping to keep these fun bikes on the road with its wealth of info
1st post davo? Welcome!

Quick Reply: Who's still around, let's talk hawks.