General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What's the dumbest thing anyones ever said/asked about your Hawk or Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Squid

alwayshonda is on a distinguished road
My father-in-law (Harley rider): "You shouldn't wear those full face helmets."
Me: "Why is that?"
Him: "They are way more likely to snap your neck on impact. You should get a 3/4."
Me: "I'll take my chances and keep my face."
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Squid

kelpike is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jmcollins77
You should have said, "Man, thats a micron exhaust, it atomizes fuel way better than any other exhaust on the market, its probably around an 1100 now"
I wish I was quick enough to think of that but he kinda floored me with his question and it took everything I had not to burst out laughing.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alwayshonda
My father-in-law (Harley rider): "You shouldn't wear those full face helmets."
Me: "Why is that?"
Him: "They are way more likely to snap your neck on impact. You should get a 3/4."
Me: "I'll take my chances and keep my face."
The original Bell Star (first full face helmet, about 1969) looked like a space helmet from a bad 1950's SciFi movie. Tell your father-in-law they've been improved somewhat in the last 40+ years.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
The original Bell Star (first full face helmet, about 1969) looked like a space helmet from a bad 1950's SciFi movie. Tell your father-in-law they've been improved somewhat in the last 40+ years.
Ha ha. I'll have to let him know. He's a 60 year old dentist. I think he just wants the chance to repair my grill and cause me pain!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Never ceases to astound me how ill-concieved excuses for not wearing good gear and rationalizations for owning sub-marginal motorcycles get repeated enough to become self proving truths.

I wonder what the advantage to fingerless gloves are? Oh, right, picking a slimy one while wearing a half-helmet.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Totally forgot that the guy I bought my shadow from was the same way.

On the phone he said that he had a helmet for me with the bike. My first bike, so I didn't have anything other than denim for gear. I showed up, looked at the bike, was exactly as I wanted. I asked about the helmet. He rummaged through the garage and pulled it out (naturally, I replaced it asap, but gotta start somewhere, right?) We got to talking and he said, "yeah I never wear it 'cause I don't want to crash and live in a coma. I was an ER worker for awhile and saw way too many people that were paralyzed in motorcycle crashes. I'd rather just die if I'm going to crash"

Uh, OK. That's a fetch for logic... but to each his own. But it started getting good when I was asking why the pipes were so loud (they weren't straight, but had all the baffling removed). He goes on to tell me "loud pipes save lives" blah blah blah. Oh yeah, gotta have the leather vest b/c leather is so abrasion resistant, but not leather sleeves. Wait a minute. So you don't wear a helmet, but have loud pipes for safety, and wear leathers but not on the parts that would hit when you crash... this is getting good. He was selling the bike to go to school to become a minister.

Now that I think about it, the chin part of a full face helmet snapping off and breaking your neck is a great one... As a dentist I would hope that he had more trust in other humans' abilities to design and build things. If it were a problem, wouldn't they discover it pretty quickly through testing? Or is he and a select few the only ones smart enough to realize that this would be a problem? All those racers... so many lives lost to shrapnel in their throats. AND NO ONE KNOWS WHY or can figure out what to do about it! *****! it's all this extra material in the front! Why the hell have we been putting it there all these years?

Heh, oh man gotta love the little things.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Squid

7moore7, love the story! I think the rationale of his full face theory was not that something would break off, but that the helmet jutting out was more likely to snap the head to one side. A bunch of B.S. either way.

Heard another good one today. My buddy (he has a '06 1000rr) and I were out riding and an older guy came up and kept asking me just how much bigger and faster was my bike and such. I asked what he was basing his opinion on and he said, "Well you have both of those pipes sticking out and he only has the one under his seat."
Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alwayshonda
7moore7, love the story! I think the rationale of his full face theory was not that something would break off, but that the helmet jutting out was more likely to snap the head to one side. A bunch of B.S. either way.

Heard another good one today. My buddy (he has a '06 1000rr) and I were out riding and an older guy came up and kept asking me just how much bigger and faster was my bike and such. I asked what he was basing his opinion on and he said, "Well you have both of those pipes sticking out and he only has the one under his seat."
And remember, never use the front brake because you'll just go over the handlebars...
Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
wife calls my blue 2 piece purple, does that count?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 PM
MotoGP

This one just happened: Looking at my front valve cover, guy says "That thing's gotta be a 500, right?"

Yep...that one is, and there's another one underneath the tank that 's a 500 too!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Nothing said, but...

Preparing to leave Hell's Kitchen on Ortega Highway today on my Superhawk, 3 Harley riders were sitting out front, next to my wife and me. I spoke with them, and they said something about "rice burners", obviously assuming I rode a Harley, since they rode in after we did, and my gear was on my bike. I said nothing to indicate I wasn't riding a Harley.

My wife left first, on her SV, then I geared up and got on my bike. The 3 guys were involved in conversation and didn't notice.

When I fired my bike up, their heads all snapped in my direction, as if to say, "What the hell is that?!!!".

I was laughing to myself as their eyes were following me when I pulled out and gassed it in 1st. Sure does surprise those Harley guys when they hear a Superhawk.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 AM
BBB
Good Root
Squid
Squid

BBB is on a distinguished road
Especially the red ones.....sound nicer too!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
I was at a local bar had some out of shape DB of a harley rider insist that the Superhawk was not a Vtwin- because it was not a harley, Smart!- I realized I was better off ending the conversation right there and returning to my lady.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cyfac0183
I was at a local bar had some out of shape DB of a harley rider insist that the Superhawk was not a Vtwin- because it was not a harley, Smart!- I realized I was better off ending the conversation right there and returning to my lady.
I hate to say it, but he's right because a true v-twin would not be water cooled. ha
Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
if I get people asking "do you ride?" when they see the helmet and gear I usually say "actually no I wear my helmet everywhere....seizures" then try to look sheepish and embarrassed.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
I hate to say it, but he's right because a true v-twin would not be water cooled. ha
Can't be. That's why Ducati call theirs an "L-Twin"

Some guy saw my front header a couple of weekends ago and thought it was a 450 two stroke of some sort
Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
"your right, it is a four cylinder...that is in a v configuration...with only two spark plugs..."