General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What is KNOWN to be "swappable"

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Squid

EMetz996
What is KNOWN to be "swappable"

I see many posts about other bike parts being used on the Superhawk. My question is, what is known to be 100% interchangable...or direct bolt on from other bikes. (mainly other Hondas)
Part such as wheels from an F3/F4, fender from VFR, forks from F3? What can I grab from one bike, and bolt to the Superhawk???
Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
tires, grips, oil, antifreeze, ummm thats about it.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
The Regulator Rectifier is transferrable.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:56 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What is KNOWN to be "swappable"

VFR clip ons bolt on pretty well. Its not 100% though as the stock break line is an inch short and, depending on the angle, you might have to fiddle with the break resevoir to get it to clear the fairing as it just nicks it.

So....90% interchangable
Old 04-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Squid

blight

Uhhhmmm, the other posts are correct indeed...but I might add the VFR800 single-sided swingarm also bolts right up to the VTR996

Also, 1991 VFR750 forged alum. footpegs bolt on with a bit of Dremel Moto work...(they are a friggin' work of art compared to the OEM Hawk rubber pegs!!)

Cheers,
B. Light
Old 04-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blight";p=&quot
...but I might add the VFR800 single-sided swingarm also bolts right up to the VTR996

Cheers,
B. Light
You make this statement as if any monkey with a wrench could do it.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

Front from older CBR900 (96-97) bolt on. Thou some work still required - very good article by track addict here:

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm

Anybody knows if RC51 brake calipers is a bolt on? I looked at Storm and RC parked next to each other and measured distance between calipers mount bolts - seem to be same with Storm.....anybody knows?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Squid

EMetz996

Well, I'm 99% sure there are many parts used on other bikes. All manufactures must make parts to fit a number of bikes (car mfg's too) to keep costs down. Its up to us to find out what those parts are.

Brake discs from a VFR and CBR (depends on year) are direct fits, and pads are the same part number for a number of different makes and models so calipers might be swappable depending on the mounts. Wheels from many CBR's are also direct fit. I guess there arent that many people who have actually done swaps! I'll search more and post my findings.

Didnt know about the older CBR900 forks fitting the VTR...they are 45mm to the VTR's 41mm. I think the site said the triple tree is complete replaced, so this isnt really a direct fit...but its great info!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren

Originally Posted by bluesman";p=&quot
Front from older CBR900 (96-97) bolt on. Thou some work still required - very good article by track addict here:

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm

Anybody knows if RC51 brake calipers is a bolt on? I looked at Storm and RC parked next to each other and measured distance between calipers mount bolts - seem to be same with Storm.....anybody knows?
I know the 954's are a direct fit. The guy I bought the '01gsxr 1k calipers from to use on the s-hawk had 954 calipers on his gsxr. Said the 954 calipers were more progressive and gave better feel compared to the 6-piston stockers I bought from him.
I'd say the rc's are also bolt on...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:54 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point

"Anybody knows if RC51 brake calipers is a bolt on? I looked at Storm and RC parked next to each other and measured distance between calipers mount bolts - seem to be same with Storm.....anybody knows? "

I know I know!!! They fit, but you will need to dremel a bit or machine off a bit in order to have them fit... (See Pic) I have them ready to go, but haven't installed them yet.... (Don't buy an old house if you ever want to ride again!!!)

As for other swaps in this area... you can add the Master Cylinders for CBR's and RC's as well.

J.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Back Marker

bluesman
Originally Posted by EMetz996";p=&quot
Didnt know about the older CBR900 forks fitting the VTR...they are 45mm to the VTR's 41mm. I think the site said the triple tree is complete replaced, so this isnt really a direct fit...but its great info!
oops, I apologize, wrote it in a hurry - I meant not forks, but whole front end from CBR900 96/97 is direct bolt on... except clipons...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK";p=&quot
I know I know!!! They fit, but you will need to dremel a bit or machine off a bit in order to have them fit... (See Pic) I have them ready to go, but haven't installed them yet.... (Don't buy an old house if you ever want to ride again!!!)

As for other swaps in this area... you can add the Master Cylinders for CBR's and RC's as well.
J.
Thanks - that's very useful bit of info for me! I hope to get calipers off breakers yard - saw them there but was not sure....
Old 04-20-2005, 06:45 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point

blueman...

I'd also get the Master Cylinder to match the calipers if you can. I got my whole set up off ebay. Also after checking enough part numbers I'm pretty sure the 954 and RC setups are identical... should you find an 954 with a full setup. I'm hoping to mount up my whole system in the next month I have the RC master cylinder and calipers, new EBC HH pads and Galfer steel lines.... should be plenty of stopping power!!!!

As for grind away to make them fit... just put the top caliper bolt in place loosely and try to swing the caliper into place.... It will stop/hit just before your able to line up the lower bolt hole correctly... mark the spot that hits with a marker and grind a little away, try again, grind more, try agian, etc.... just go very slowly and don't take off more than you need to.

J.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Squid

blight
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
...but I might add the VFR800 single-sided swingarm also bolts right up to the VTR996

Cheers,
B. Light
Sure...you just need a "monkey-wrench" Hehehehe...
BKL
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Squid

blight
Originally Posted by blight
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot

Cheers,
B. Light
Sure...you just need a "monkey-wrench" Hehehehe...
BKL
ooops...I menat to say...

Sure, it's easy...you just need a "monkey-wrench" hehehe

Cheers,
BKL
Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Squid

pickle.of.doom

It is R1 Mirrors that fit right on to the VTR right? Which year? That is something I would be interested in, rear vision is *****!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:24 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Something needs to be cleared up about R1 mirrors. Yes they do bolt on as the bolt spacing is the same BUT the stalks are made to pivot and lock into one position. This position folds the mirrors WAY in towards the fairing rendering them pretty much useless or not much better than the VTR's. You need to modify the base if you want them to pivot out (wider).

I have FZ1 mirrors which are even wider than R1's but need to modified in the same manner.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Squid

BenjaminVFR750 is on a distinguished road
I would love to know if those wheels for sale in the classifieds fit my 02 VTR.. They are the 06 599 rims..... Any info?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
tire valve stem caps swap quite well between not only Honda sportbikes, but all Honda vehicles.
A valvestem cap from a 1959 volvo dumptruck also substitutes well with all year models of superhawk.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
^^ Funny guy!

from personal experience

F3 front rotors along with most VFR front rotors ( earlier years) are direct bolt on to the VTR rim.

foot pegs, pretty much all Honda motorcycle foot pegs are the same.
in fact the foot pegs on my bike right now are from a 1987 Hurricane!

booya!

throttle tubes are interchangeble from F4i and most likely from most honda bikes (i know the F4i from personally trying it on the VTR before swapping the whole clip-on).

trying to think more here...

other stuff bolts up, but is not DIRECT...ie F4i forks, u need the tripples, F4i calipers will bolt right up but trimming is necessary...
Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
f2 shifter linkage and lever

rear shock with some modding off of f4i / banshee

brass choke cable adjusters to replace the plastic ones off of 38 +/- mm mikuni carbs (odd since honda owns most of keihin, go figure.)

in theory any downdraft FCR carb from newer dirtbikes etc could be made to work

all i can think of off hand