General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What am I dealing with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Squid

theconundrum is on a distinguished road
What am I dealing with?

I'm new to the forum...should've joined a couple of weeks ago when I made my purchase but I haven't had a chance. I apologize if I missed this in a search. I'm about to replace the frame of a 2002 Superhawk I bought (it has a salvage title due to be stolen). I have done work on several bikes I've owned so I know each time is a new adventure and new problems . My main concern are the forks. I've researched but haven't found any info about this fork adjustment mod. If you can tell from the pics and know feel free to chime in. The guy I purchased it from was a little out of it and didn't have much information. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails What am I dealing with?-20150111_123226-800x600-.jpg   What am I dealing with?-20150111_123214-800x600-.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 11:57 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks like preload adjusters.
not much too talk about really.

what are your concerns?
Old 01-11-2015, 12:13 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Those add-ons just allow easy tool free adjustment of the spring preload. If you know how to properly set sag, once set there really is no need to be adjusting.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Squid

theconundrum is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. I thought it was for a quicker way to adjust the springs. I just didn't want to start disassembly and be surprised. I've found that out the hard way with other bikes I've owned with random mods. While I'm asking is the Shindy steering damper really needed/useful along with the Coerce fork brace for everyday riding? I'm deciding what parts to keep and what parts to possibly remove and sell.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

Fork brace = YES! Damper is a matter of opinion typically. If your properly set-up, sag and geometry wise, you really don't need one.

Last edited by Wolverine; 01-11-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
It IS a quicker way to adjust the springs. That's what preload is. It is the constant pressure (load) on the springs. Looks like aftermarket clip on handle bars too but that is not of much concern.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:54 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
It looks like your forks are slid up in the triples. That's a bad thing on the VTR (most bikes in fact) so you will want to lower those back down where they belong.

Welcome!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:57 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
It looks like your forks are slid up in the triples. That's a bad thing on the VTR (most bikes in fact) so you will want to lower those back down where they belong.

Welcome!
So its better to lift the rear than drop the front? Im -3 front and +4 rear. Would like a little more tip in, so better to reset the front to stock and lift the rear to +6mm?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
No its not better or worse. Personal preference.

I had a big long paragraph typed up twice on how you can adjust rake any way you want, and i referenced sport rider articles proclaiming dofferent ways to adjust suspension, but my phone deleted both the paragraphs... Twice. So, i give up. Here's a good link: Art & Science: Fun With Geometry | Sport Rider

There is nothing wrong with pulling the forks up in thr triple clamps, though Sport Rider found 7mm to be too high on the track, as they began scraping hard parts at that point.

Personal preference.

Ride your bike. Take notes of settings. Make one change. Write down the change. Rode your bike. Note how change affected bike. Repeat.

James
Old 01-13-2015, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I agree James, ride it and see first. Just beware of corner clearance if you go too low on the whole thing with compressed suspension.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
It becomes really cloudy when talking in general about changes. Here are some points to consider:

- A stock VTR will be helped by raising the rear 20mm (that's about a 6mm shim at the shock).
- A VTR with properly setup suspension is best with a 3mm shim (approximately +10mm ride height)
- It is not advisable to lower the front by moving the forks in the triples in either case.

The last point goes against what you will commonly find stated. That is because people go by feel and not actual data. Dropping the front cases instability which makes the rider's brain think they are pushing really hard. Raising the front back up allows you to push harder and generates better handling performance.

But what about turn in? I'm sure someone is already loading up their ammo on that one. Again, this is a much misunderstood concept. With the correct springs and valving you will get good turn in performance. In fact better than lowering the geometry.

If you want your bike to handle well address the source of the problem. It is amazing how often people miss that! Adjusting geometry to fix poor damper performance is not very successful.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:10 AM
SuperSport

It becomes really cloudy when talking in general about changes. Here are some points to consider:

- A stock VTR will be helped by raising the rear 20mm (that's about a 6mm shim at the shock).
- A VTR with properly setup suspension is best with a 3mm shim (approximately +10mm ride height)
- It is not advisable to lower the front by moving the forks in the triples in either case.

The last point goes against what you will commonly find stated. That is because people go by feel and not actual data. Dropping the front cases instability which makes the rider's brain think they are pushing really hard. Raising the front back up allows you to push harder and generates better handling performance.

But what about turn in? I'm sure someone is already loading up their ammo on that one. Again, this is a much misunderstood concept. With the correct springs and valving you will get good turn in performance. In fact better than lowering the geometry.

If you want your bike to handle well address the source of the problem. It is amazing how often people miss that! Adjusting geometry to fix poor damper performance is not very successful.
Nice answer.

As to turn in that could answer a small problem on my bike. Will try lifting the front back up then. Happy to take advise from experts on suspension.

Better make a block to go under my stand though, thing already tries to fall over. Lift the front will make it worse.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road

I agree, but it should be said that changing rear ride height also affects front end geometry.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:31 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I recently raised the front end on the 848 and it made it a different bike to ride.

Has an adjustable link in the rear, raised that and the it wanted to fall into the corners, so raised the front and was a big improvement.

Compared to other bikes in the cave the Storm is the most neutral in the handling department, however there have been many changes to the Storm as well.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by theconundrum
While I'm asking is the Shindy steering damper really needed/useful along with the Coerce fork brace for everyday riding? I'm deciding what parts to keep and what parts to possibly remove and sell.
Please keep replies related to the OP questions. This is getting a bit off track....

Sorry about this conundrum, I'll try to get it back on topic. Welcome to SHF!

Last edited by Wolverine; 01-15-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:11 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Please keep replies related to the OP questions. This is getting a bit off track....

Sorry about this conundrum, I'll try to get it back on topic. Welcome to SHF!
Which is why I started, https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...n-setup-32823/