Wet weather gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Wet weather gear

So what do you guys have for wet weather gear? Namely gloves and waterproof tank bags.

The gloves I've got are cheap and work OK as long as I'm not out in the wet for an extended period. What do you guys use for gloves that you've found work good for keeping your hands warm and dry?

I'm also looking for a tank bag large enough for a pair of boots and a small lunch pail that's waterproof. Anything out there for a decent waterproof tank bag that's expandable and magnetic?
Old 11-14-2014, 07:25 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
There's a good review of tankbags here: http://bit.ly/ridereview.
I've been using a Oxford X40 tankbag for about 10 years. It's held up well. I don't use the rain cover. It's easier to put the things that have to stay dry into Ziploc or garbage bags. I use it only on trips rather than while commuting. It's bulky, the flaps holding the magnets on the sides of the tank bag make full lock turns impossible and removing the bag to get access to the filler cap is awkward. If I had to carry work boots and a lunch pail daily, I'd choose either a tail bag or a knapsack.
Gloves are a problem. Sooner or later on a long ride in the rain you'll end up putting wet hands into dry gloves. Glove linings can pull out or bunch up. The Gortex gloves I've tried cause my hands to feel clammy. Long gauntlets become funnels for water running down the sleeves of your jacket. Industrial rubber gloves over unlined, unarmoured leather gloves are effective but only in warm weather. It's hard to get warm, waterproof gloves without bulk. I'd look for gloves with short gauntlets that fit under the cuffs of a rain suit or jacket and I'd buy two pairs, one for the trip to work and one for the trip home.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:18 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
If you want waterproof cargo get a givi. I have one @ that size I would sell. You could tie down the base to the passenger seat if you don't want to install a rack.