General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Weird VTR related story

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Weird VTR related story

Weird story that has to do with my old VTR I sold.

I received a phone call around 11:30pm, from Farmville police department, asking about a license plate they had that came back to my name. It had been found on a bike they impounded in VA with my tag on it.

I told them the true story of the tag, which was, it's registered currently and insured on my FZR400 race bike, so I could test it on the road if I needed to. It doesn't stay on the bike and I keep it in a bin on my open trailer so possibly it had fallen off my trailer or had been stolen out of it.

Then they call back, and asking if I knew anyone in VA, and about a red 1998 Honda bike and if I had sold one. I said yes I had a VTR1000 I sold last July to a kid out of VA. I went upstairs and found the bill of sale(good thing I made and kept that), and gave them the kids name. Then faxed them the bill of sale.

They were asking if I had lent him the tag to get the bike back home, but I hadn't. He came in a sprinter van and I helped him strap it down. The only thing I can think is he saw it in the garage when I was showing him other bikes and stole it when I went inside or wasn't looking.

After asking a few times I got a story out of them that it sounded like he ran from them, and was caught some way or another. Guy said his crown vic was keeping up with him ok, but it looked like he was a rookie rider and that someone who could ride would have gotten away probably.

I had looked for that tag once or twice and couldn't find it figuring it was lost amongst my race boxes somewhere.

He said I need to report my tag stolen and they may be able to get it back to me. I asked them about the bike and he said it's still in my name. I'm curious what's going to happen to it down at their impound lot.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:18 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Man, that's freaky!

Imagine if you get the bike back!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:38 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kenmoore
Man, that's freaky!

Imagine if you get the bike back!
He has a bill of sale. that is not happening
Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
I asked them about the bike and he said it's still in my name. I'm curious what's going to happen to it down at their impound lot.
Id bet you get a notice from the impound lot, telling you they have your property and it will cost $2000 or more to get it back... and another $75 or so for every day you leave it there.. They will eventually claim it and auction it off.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
From what I can gather, he bought the bike from you, and never registered it under his name. Drove it with your tag all along, making it difficult for any police force in another state to validate the bike info.

Just a guess that is.

As far as guess also, the bike still being registered under your name, according to DMV....it's yours. Contract or not. Police will not be judge of who the bike belongs to. They will simply rely on the official paper work.

If the kid wants his bike, he has to go through the trouble of proving it since he has never registered it.

My thought on this, is if what I think is right, you can take the bike back home. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash

My thought on this, is if what I think is right, you can take the bike back home. Just my 2 cents.
Sounds like that to me. Just don't let it sit there so long that it racks up hideous impound fees, we know how that one ends.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
From what I can gather, he bought the bike from you, and never registered it under his name. Drove it with your tag all along, making it difficult for any police force in another state to validate the bike info.

Just a guess that is.

As far as guess also, the bike still being registered under your name, according to DMV....it's yours. Contract or not. Police will not be judge of who the bike belongs to. They will simply rely on the official paper work.

If the kid wants his bike, he has to go through the trouble of proving it since he has never registered it.

Over here Bill of sale from the titled owner along with the title is all thats needed to prove its yours, unless the titled owner wants to contest the bill of sale at which point the signatures get checked for forgery. But since he gave the cops the bill of sale he cant now say its his bike and go get it

Edit: Oh and here you can get a ticket for letting an unlicenced rider operate your motorcycle.. and its a nasty expensive ticket too, also if he went to get the bike he would get slapped with a fictitious plate ticket as well since the right tag wasn't on the right bike even if the bike was properly registered
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
You should check that you don't have any other records or tickets on your tag anywhere else, that can happen and get back to you unexpectedly.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Mate, still a freaky story.

Your laws are different to ours here.

You should check and see what the plate has accrued in terms of fines.

If there are any put them back to him via the bill of sale if you can.

If they do auction it you may get it back very cheap.

Try explaining that to the authorities!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 AM
SuperSport

Just a guess that is.
That's it.. But to make it worse the tag was not for the bike he bought from me.

Originally Posted by insulinboy
Edit: Oh and here you can get a ticket for letting an unlicenced rider operate your motorcycle.. and its a nasty expensive ticket too, also if he went to get the bike he would get slapped with a fictitious plate ticket as well since the right tag wasn't on the right bike even if the bike was properly registered
I don't think that would fall into play, I never let him ride it. He came with a van and we loaded it up when he bought it.

Originally Posted by NHSH
You should check that you don't have any other records or tickets on your tag anywhere else, that can happen and get back to you unexpectedly.
When I filed my police report with MD they checked it and there were no flags on my tag, so that's good.

But then I got a call back today from MD police, saying they talked to the VA station and they are going to keep my tag as evidence until it goes through court or something.. Sounds like BS. The MD officer told me they would make a photocopy of the tag and send the real tag back, but maybe VA protocol is different. Hopefully I can cancel my registration and claim I don't have a tag because VA won't release it.

Last edited by 98VTRrider; 03-13-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Superstock

But then I got a call back today from MD police, saying they talked to the VA station and they are going to keep my tag as evidence until it goes through court or something.. Sounds like BS. The MD officer told me they would make a photocopy of the tag and send the real tag back, but maybe VA protocol is different. Hopefully I can cancel my registration and claim I don't have a tag because VA won't release it.
No but if you take the paperwork from the police about stolen tag into your tag office they will issue you a new plate and registration for said plate.. well I guess that is kind of the same thing you are saying just in a different way you shouldn't have to explain anything, the stolen plate police report is all the explanation they will need.

And what I was saying about the fines would only apply if you didn't file a stolen vehicle report and went to the impound claiming the bike was still yours. I was more explaining just one way of why that's a stupid idea
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
That's it.. But to make it worse the tag was not for the bike he bought from me.

I don't think that would fall into play, I never let him ride it. He came with a van and we loaded it up when he bought it.

When I filed my police report with MD they checked it and there were no flags on my tag, so that's good.

Not sure about your state, but normally you can cancel the plate online without physically returning the plate to the DMV, in fact they also sending you an email confirmation and instruction on how to destroy your plate "folding it".
Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by insulinboy
No but if you take the paperwork from the police about stolen tag into your tag office they will issue you a new plate and registration for said plate.. well I guess that is kind of the same thing you are saying just in a different way you shouldn't have to explain anything, the stolen plate police report is all the explanation they will need.

And what I was saying about the fines would only apply if you didn't file a stolen vehicle report and went to the impound claiming the bike was still yours. I was more explaining just one way of why that's a stupid idea

I'd be surprised if I didn't have to pay another registration fee to get another tag and registration...they obviously can't give me the same tag # so the registration would have to change too..

I really don't want the tag anymore, I won't be riding my race bike on the street any time soon, and I'm paying $18 a month or something for insurance. Hopefully just canceling it isn't a big deal and can be easily done.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Superstock

I'd be surprised if I didn't have to pay another registration fee to get another tag and registration...they obviously can't give me the same tag # so the registration would have to change too..

I really don't want the tag anymore, I won't be riding my race bike on the street any time soon, and I'm paying $18 a month or something for insurance. Hopefully just canceling it isn't a big deal and can be easily done.
Yes they would charge you a new reg fee but with stolen tag its normally at a discounted rate. and yes, the paperwork you can bring in and just cancel the tag and insurance as well

I have my race bike tagged as well and have rigged a quick disconnect tail/brake light and headlight