General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

To wave, or not to wave. That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Squid

Tucknroll is on a distinguished road
the wave

It's the same here in Oregon. I kinda like the approach of the "peace sign turned the bird" for the non wavers, but then again who really gives a f@#*? Another wave that I have used for them wanna be criminals is the "wave turned limp wrist"
Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
How did I miss this thread???? too much whoring I guess...

Yup, I wave, to everyone, even the scooters...it's two wheels afterall...I really don't care if the other dumbass don't wave back...It's like, I did my part to be nice, so screw you if you don't...but whatever...or something like that...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Squid

ryan is on a distinguished road
this is the all time best thread! I Wave to all sport bikes, and nothing else especially scooter riders. What is weird to me is, when I'm driving my work van and see a sweet sport bike I really want to wave!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
So if I was on a cruiser and waved you wouldn't wave back!? Hmmm maybe it is an age thing.......I was brought up thinking that ALL 2 wheeled riders were my brothers no matter what they rode.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
I almost always wave. Sometimes in traffic I'm more concerned with dodging SUVs or operating the clutch, but if I see 'em I'll wave. If I don't get a wave back and I see that the guy sees me but is too engrossed in trying to hold his Hardly together, obv it goes to "the finger."

Except at Deal's Gap or someplace like that, of course. If you waved at every bike there you'd wreck. There are just too many to bother with and it interferes with your riding.

Oh, and I always wave at the corner workers!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Squid

quakefiend420 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
So if I was on a cruiser and waved you wouldn't wave back!? Hmmm maybe it is an age thing.......I was brought up thinking that ALL 2 wheeled riders were my brothers no matter what they rode.
exactly...sometimes when i'm going down a divided highway and just happen to catch someone waving at me when they're right beside me and i don't get to wave back i feel bad lol
Old 08-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Squid

and you guys better be careful giving the finger to harley riders, maybe they just didn't notice you in time, you do that to a 1%er and you're likely to get your *** kicked...just fyi
Old 08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by quakefiend420
and you guys better be careful giving the finger to harley riders, maybe they just didn't notice you in time, you do that to a 1%er and you're likely to get your *** kicked...just fyi
But those guys are the ones more likely to return the wave.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by quakefiend420
HA! Dude, I started outrunning Hardlys on my GS-500 12 years ago! I'm not so worried about getting my *** kicked.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Forgot to mention - I always wave when I am riding my old CB500-4 and pass a group of riders on modern sportsbikes in the twisties. Just gives them the ***** to be passed by something from 1971, half the engine size, original bars, ridden by a crazy with one hand on the bars....
Old 08-02-2007, 03:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by PJay
Forgot to mention - I always wave when I am riding my old CB500-4 and pass a group of riders on modern sportsbikes in the twisties. Just gives them the ***** to be passed by something from 1971, half the engine size, original bars, ridden by a crazy with one hand on the bars....
As it wiggles and squirms on by!! You're a BRAVE man!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Waves are for the ocean...LOL
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by drew_c14
But those guys are the ones more likely to return the wave.
true that
Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MotorToad
Oh, and I always wave at the corner workers!
Haahaa lol... I know everybody on this site is sooo against public road wheelies, but... if there was ever a truly appreciative crowd, ... its them...

can a wheelie be a wave?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
See, thats the way that I was brought up too... But lately, I'm feeling more like

Originally Posted by ryan
I Wave to all sport bikes, and nothing else
cuz I know theyre gonna wave back. of course, I'd return a wave from anybody that waved first
Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
Waves are for the ocean...LOL
LOL I don't like writing that, but it's true so...

And I've yet to chime in so.. Around here, people don't seem to wave a whole heck of a lot. The leader in a group of sport bikes pretty much never waves, and maybe half the Hardley's, and pretty much none of the chopper guys wave. I always wave back, but I don't usually go out of my way to be the first to. I've had the wave not returned too many times...
Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You have to "drive your own race" when you're on the road. It's not about a social event for me - it's about me and the bike. Like I said before, if I'm not busy, I'll wave - I don't care what you ride because I see you looking at me and back atcha.

I'm intense in my stance in traffic and I don't mess around. This is Texas and it's hot and I am not about ******* around at stop signs and signals. Everybody needs to do their **** right. Most of the time when I give the helmet wag to these guys they are the first to bust out the wave.

They know - when the light turns green this ****** is going to get cool and we have only 87 hp.

Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
LOL I don't like writing that, but it's true so...

And I've yet to chime in so.. Around here, people don't seem to wave a whole heck of a lot. The leader in a group of sport bikes pretty much never waves, and maybe half the Hardley's, and pretty much none of the chopper guys wave. I always wave back, but I don't usually go out of my way to be the first to. I've had the wave not returned too many times...
Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Squid

ryan is on a distinguished road
Just got tired of getting snubbed by HD riders, that's all. I have feelings you know. MFrs!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
maybe this should have been a poll? i wave. i peace sign. i fonzi. i smile. live free or die. i thought about moving to new hampshire(state motto). nah to damn cold cant ride year round.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blupleous
maybe this should have been a poll? i wave. i peace sign. i fonzi. i smile. live free or die. i thought about moving to new hampshire(state motto). nah to damn cold cant ride year round.
Yeah, I thought about that too!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Squid

Bumblebee is on a distinguished road
Im new to the site but would like to throw in my 2 cents. Up here in northern conn. its seems to depend on the mood of the rider. Everyday is different on who waves. I ride everyday it doesnt rain, and thats what ive seen. But on a slightly different note, 90 percent of my friends own harleys and they dont care what eachother rides as long as were riding. On a normal outing we have an age gap for about 20 to 67. On a mix of bikes, hd, metric, cruisers, and we all go just to have a good time. And as for me I like taunting the other guys a little cause the hawk will woop on all of them. Oh and one other thaught, a lot of people dont know the hawk is a vtwin. Ive suprised a lot of people when i pull up. "That dont sound like a rocket" And thats when I just give them a big smile. And I actually had a very good friend of mine that is die hard harley say he loved riding the hawk. So at the very least i can report that the wave lives strong in my group of friends.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Squid

Bumblebee is on a distinguished road
And just a quick side note cause i feel questions coming, we really do have a friend that is 67 years old and rides an 02 hopped up r6. People really stop and stare when we go out together and stop for a smoke. When he takes that helmet off you should hear what people say.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
As it wiggles and squirms on by!! You're a BRAVE man!
Well, the 500-4 isn't totally standard. It has BT45 tires and a 4-1 and a braided front brake line. (But as you say, it does wriggle and squirm a bit...)
Old 08-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bumblebee
And just a quick side note cause i feel questions coming, we really do have a friend that is 67 years old and rides an 02 hopped up r6. People really stop and stare when we go out together and stop for a smoke. When he takes that helmet
off you should hear what people say.
We have one of those old nutters around here as well... Part of the group I go riding with... about the same age span...

Dunno his exact age, never asked, but he's 65+, with sligth gut and a large grey beard (kind of the image of a old-school harly rider) he alternates between a turbo-kited Busa and either a old-school chopper or a Norton...

Never seen him in less than full gear thoo... none of that couch riding style...

He's probably the must nuts of us all too... I have seen him do beautifully controlled wheelies on just about any machine... Including the chopper... something I'd never even consider trying...

And in the corners, my VTR migth have around 100 horses... but I still have a hard time keeping up the pace with the 50 or so horses in that Norton unless I push it...

As for waving... that's how I was brought up doing it, and that's what I'll keep doing... The only one's aroound here not waving back is the Goldwing contingent... and they don't count... even the cops wave back... mostly... sometimes thay wave for different reasons...
Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I always wave, and usually get a wave back from all types of riders. And I don't really care if they bother to wave back or not.

I went on one ride with a local GSXR guy and he even waved at jeeps and cars, and some of them even waved back!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by PJay
Well, the 500-4 isn't totally standard. It has BT45 tires and a 4-1 and a braided front brake line. (But as you say, it does wriggle and squirm a bit...)
The wiggle is what makes them fun, you KNOW when you're going fast on those old bikes and a big to those who can ride them fast!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Ho boy!
Rite here in NC, as well as Va, as I ride, I will wave at everybody on 2 wheels, and smile! Most everybody will wave back if they can do so without scaring themselves or crashing. The exceptions are the really AR harley guys that have the logo on all their crap and are probably some kind of up tight dentist or accountant that wouldn't acknowledge you anywhere. Or, The bicycle spandex guys or the scooter goobers, mainly cause they are stunned you waved at them.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
I read this thread and never really thought about it too much, but more recently i have noticed that the Goldwing crew doesnt really wave back. I've had a few in the past few days...i'll wave at them and they give me the 'eat **** ************. how dare you wave at me!' look. Usually, the fat chick they have on the back might give you a half hearted wave, but i always imagine them on their intercom system saying, "Gertrude! Don't wave! This is a Goldwing, dammit!" Harley guys are usually really cool with you when they know or learn that your bike is powered by V-twin, and thats the main reason you bought it. As for the Oldwing guys.... maybe they're just too busy changing CD's on their 6 disc changer or some ****....or adjusting their air conditioning...or ******* with the fuzzy dice hanging from their rearview. no telling.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Squid

sux9000 is on a distinguished road
Where I'm from in Australia its a head nod. When I started out I was nodding to every two wheeler out there and most times there'd be a return nod. It was a habit I took over to Japan with me, but you kinda feel like a git nodding here when nobody acknowledges. I put it down to the Japanese being more reserved, but not trying snub you as such.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
I recently got back to riding having purchased a bike from one of the guys on this board (thanks Don). I noticed when I started riding I was way more conservative about waving since I was focused on the conditions around me. I think one of the others said it best but when I'm "workin it" you won't see me waving to anyone. If I catch a wave I'll try to return it if I'm not the the middle of a shift or workin the throttle. I don't care who it is, I'll wave. If I don't get one back no big deal. I do a lot of waving to cars when im getting into a lane and they seem to appreciate it versus just hopping in because i can.

As far as outrunning HD's don't be too sure. A good friend of mine who is a well experienced rider was coming home on his modded FZ1 and buzzed a couple Harley's. He was on one hand chilling out and figured they were way back and when he checked his mirror a fully loaded fat boy was on his tail. He was shocked and a little pissed so both hands go on and the hammer goes down. After clicking off to about 140 he looks back and this fuggin huge harley is sitting right on his tail!

He slowed up and this fatboy with cases, full fairing, chromed out, custom paint, spoke wheels came up beside him and the guy was grinning ear to ear and pointed down "Its got a turbo!" he yelled. Sure enough down below a big freakin turbo. They spent the next 45 mins doing hard pulls and buzzing each other laughing their heads off at this massive harley. He said at top revs he would slowly pull away but on the line that thing would eat his *** for breakfast.

Quick Reply: To wave, or not to wave. That is the question.