General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Squid

SteelFire333 is on a distinguished road
Water pump?

Anyone have any clue as to what this might be? It's on the right side of the bike, just behind the upper cowling.

On hot days after a long ride I seem to have a very small amount of oil/gas leak. It doesn't active leak, but when I come back later there's a small dried up puddle underneath the bike.

Wondering if the relief valve I have pictured has anything to do with it.

Thank you all in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Water pump?-image.jpeg  
Old 03-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
That is actually a weep hole for the coolant system. If memory serves me right, it means the seal around the impeller is leaking. You need to take the engine cover off and replace the impeller and seal. Since you are doing that, you will need to drain the coolant, so depending on your mileage, you will need to replace the coolant. Also, you will need a new right side engine cover gasket, which I found you can get off eBay at a decent price and they work great. If you plan on tackling this job yourself, check Patzilla.com for the parts you need. I have found that they usually have the best price.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-25-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Oops
Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Squid

Awesome. Thank you so much. That actually makes sense, because my coolant in the resivoir was damn near empty...... And that could explain why. Thanks again
Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
That is actually a weep hole for the coolant system. If memory serves me right, it means the seal around the impeller is leaking. You need to take the engine cover off and replace the impeller and seal. Since you are doing that, you will need to drain the coolant, so depending on your mileage, you will need to replace the coolant. Also, you will need a new right side engine cover gasket, which I found you can get off eBay at a decent price and they work great. If you plan on tackling this job yourself, check Patzilla.com for the parts you need. I have found that they usually have the best price.

THIS ^^^
time for a new seal, and possible impeller.
Pay strict attention to setting the impeller depth when you reinstall and be very gentle and careful when installing the new seal.... Its a tight fit, thin steel casing and easily damaged.

Check the impeller shaft for corrosion / wear.. if it is, replace.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:01 PM
Squid

Thanks! I'm not as savvy as I'd like to be mechanically, so I'm definitely going to take my time. This'll give me something to do this weekend. Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
If you haven't dowloaded it already, here is the link to the Superhawk's manual in pdf form.
superhawk996.net

Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. If you get stuck on something, just post your question and someone will chime in and help.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-25-2016 at 08:16 PM.