General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

want better exhaust

Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
want better exhaust

ok I have stock cans..nuff said! I am looking for something with adeeper throaty bark to it akin to the harley note cept not as harsh, here is the catch though I do NOT want to do a rejet! I like the factory setup ( I know everyone wants to rejet and pair removal etc of thier carbs ) however I am happy with the way mine is performance wise Just not exactly satasfied with the factory sound of stock exhaust (a little on the quiet wimpy side ) so .... I have looked up what I could find on the site but it is limited on this respect..closest I could get to was the Danmoto however I don't want to rejet so .....anyone have other options you know of ? like to hear from ya.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Bafflectomy is free. Take the first baffle out and drill the next baffle in and it will sound just as good (and as loud) as an aftermarket set of pipes. Of course any bike will run BETTER tuned properly but if it runs good now doing a bafflectomy or putting on a set of slip ons isn't going to suddenly make it run poor. Danmotos are cheap (and cheap). There's alot out there but most of it is now going to be found used here or on ebay. Some new options still out there but they do get expensive. If you like the high mount carbon look and have money to burn I do have a nice used set of Migs in the classifieds. But if all you want is the sound modify the stock pipes for free...

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-19-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
You will have to rejet with any aftermarket cans, they offer better flow than stock. I stand by my Staintune low mounts. Icant speak for highmounts or any other make as I have never seen another Hawk in person, only heard YouTube videos. However, my cousin is a diehard Harley owner and graduate of Harley Davidson and MMI, owns a Harley servce shop, and builds pre 1916 Harley board track racers. He hates imports, and that is putting it softly. The day I brought my hawk home he said if he ever buys anything other than Harley it would be a hawk with my exact exhaust setup.

Everyone will be biased to their own system though.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
I didnt have to rejet anything when I installed my D&D slipons?? Maybe it depends on the brand but my bike runs fine w/o rejetting. If I recall from the Two Brothers website I dont think you have to rejet their slipons either so there you go - two brands to keep an eye out for if you dont do the bafflectomy. Good luck !
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
. However, my cousin is a diehard Harley owner and graduate of Harley Davidson and MMI, owns a Harley servce shop, and builds pre 1916 Harley board track racers. He hates imports, and that is putting it softly. The day I brought my hawk home he said if he ever buys anything other than Harley it would be a hawk with my exact exhaust setup.

Everyone will be biased to their own system though.
Thats funny. I have a similar story..... A local Harley guy has a shop downtown that wont work on any foreign bikes period. I rode by the other weekend after having redone my Jardines (which sound great).
They were outside milling about. I was two lights down the street idling stopped at a red. Half the dudes looked up to see what was coming.
Once I got to them they were all looking. Couple dudes gave a thumbs up.

When I describe the SH to someone as far as sound. I say it sounds like a Harley on Steroids......
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Squid

wolfgun is on a distinguished road
The Harley sound on steroids. If you want that sound, check out the Danmoto stuff. I don't know about the carbon fiber units, but the titanium, with baffles, sound awesome. Maybe a little loud for some, but definitely awesome. The price is really right and the quality is good. They ship out of China and take about a week and a half to get. Mine came in missing a spring and they sent another one out, it took about another week. After a year I'm still smiling when I start it up.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
+1 for Jardines. I miss my high mounts somethin' turrible. I ran them with just shimmed needles.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
You will have to rejet with any aftermarket cans,
I wouldn't say HAVE to... it'll run fine without a re-jet. You're not opening up a canyon of airflow just with slipons on this bike...
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
These bikes are on the lean side from the factory.
So changing things will just make it leaner. It won't be lean enough to hurt anything but the power will be down a bit IMHO.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
SGT
Mechanic
Squid

SGT is on a distinguished road
I have the full two brothers carbon fiber cans with the stainless exhaust. I'm also running the k&n filter and DJ kit. I love the sound and it does make the HD guy's heads turn.
I do plan to cut down the cans though for a little more bark. Not sure if I'll need to tune my carbs after doing so, but I like working on my bike
anyway.

Last edited by SGT; 02-20-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Oops
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
These bikes are on the lean side from the factory.
So changing things will just make it leaner. It won't be lean enough to hurt anything but the power will be down a bit IMHO.
+1 Most Honda bikes are coming lean from the factory, this is just common sense. will not heart the bike, but you do loose some of the back pressure and you may need to compensate with some carb' adjusting ie pilot jets and etc...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Too bad Supertrapp doesn't make a system for the Superhawk. I checked when I bought mine, but they only make exhaust for Harleys now.

For those who aren't familiar, Supertrapp is "tunable" exhaust. I put a full stainless 4 into 1 system on my '86 CB700SC Nighthawk S, and following the recommendations from Supertrapp, I used 7 discs to make it work with stock jetting. It looked cool too, and I got a lot of comments on it. Adding more discs would have required jetting. It worked great, I ran it for 5 years and 48,000 miles, but alas... only for Harleys now.
Yessss.... I had a megaphone Supertrapp on my Transalp until it rotted out eleven years later where the dissimilar metals met at the bottom. Tuneable via discs, looked great and sounded even better with no need to ever, never, ever never re-pack it or anything. No rivets. No springs. No maintenance other than polishing it shiny. I also sought a set for the Hawk, but nope. They do have a "universal" can that uses the disc method, but they need to have mid pipes fabbed up. Shouldn't be too hard. Maybe one day I'll get the gumption to follow through with that plan.

I seriously would invest in a good set of cans. I considered the Danmotos and D & D's, et al, but felt they wouldn't last. So I opted instead for the Jardines ($385 shipped for the older model round cans, not the ovals they sell now) and then a set of aluminum Leo's. The Leo's are nice. I paid $485 shipped. They "claim" I got the last set of low-mounts in the states. I don't know the validity of that statement, but... I think that's reasonable for them. If I hadn't have bought them, I would have sprung for Captain Chaos's set of Migs, or the Leo high mount set in the classifieds right now.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
If you can get a hold on this Arrow exhaust system, that would be awesome, can't get over this video sound
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
thanks guys...Just done the partial bafflectomy (meaning drilled 4 1/2" holes and 3 1/4" inch holes into rear of pipes ) I like it!!! sounds awesome and seems to be no real change in the performance, well cept for starting it seems I have to almost always pull choke to fire it up. had several Harley guys taking a second look at it when I rode up to the light and then turned into cafe I frequent :P even had 2 of them cove over and ask what my bike is (as there are no markings on the bike anymore lol)..

oh NHSH those do sound great!! def better than the bafflectomy sound...but have to look those up and see what the prices are :P

Last edited by wsharpman; 02-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
If you want it louder like aftermarket pipes, you can drill all the way around that baffle and pull it out (you'll need a long drill or straight pry bar to knock a relief in the next baffle to get the weld past so you can pull the tube out). Then if you drill some holes (you'll need a long drill bit) in the next baffle it you'll have about the same sound (and volume) as a set of aftermarket pipes. Free too