General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE

Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE

I have seen comments here and there regarding the Superhawk's place in life... Is it a sportbike? Is it a sport tourer? Is it sporty at all?

I don't like to start arguments so much anymore... I'm 37 years old, and frankly I have better things to do.

This post is more to state a fact than anything else.

The Superhawk is a sportbike. A sport-twin if you want to get technical.

How can he say that?! BLASPHEMY!!!

It's pretty simple really. Sportbikes have gotten harder-edged over the years. The ergonomics have changed, and focuses have sharpened. This has lead people to believe that anything short of the latest model 1000cc 4 cylinder is NOT in fact a sportbike. NOT SO!

Any good argument will have some evidence to back it up. Evidence from reliable sources, lacking any ambiguity.

Reference #1: Cycle World Magazine, April 1997, page 41. Quote, "The VTR1000 project was so successful, that his department started out testing the bike alongside a Ducati 900SS, but ended up comparing it to a 916." Cycle World Magazine - Google Books

Reference #2: Motorcycle Consumer News, 1997: Motorcycle Consumer News: Model CycleStats: 1997 Honda ST1100 ABSII

Reference #1 points to the VTR1000 Superhawk being compared (by HONDA) with the Ducati 916. The Ducati 916 has never (to my knowledge) been called a sport tourer.

Reference #2 points to Honda's own 1997 ST1100. What does ST stand for? Sport Tourer. This begs the question: If Honda already had a sport tourer in the ST1100, why would they make a sport tourer VTR1000, then compare that VTR1000 to the Ducati 916? The answer: They didn't make a sport tourer VTR1000. They made a sport-twin, or in the generic: "sportbike" in the VTR1000.

Closing statement: Just because the VTR1000 is more comfortable than a GSXR, and someone has made some saddlebags for it, does not qualify it to be a sport tourer. A similar illustration would be to put a huge windshield and highway pegs on a CBR1000, and calling it a Goldwing variant.... It's not. It's a CBR1000 with weird parts on it.

The VTR1000 was a sportbike in 1997. It was also a sportbike in 2001. It remains a sportbike on the used market in 2014. It may be a bit softer than today's cutting edged, specific focused 600's, and 1000's, but it's still a sportbike.

James
Old 05-19-2014, 08:45 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Not too loud with that..... here in Quebec, it's considered a standard (or rahter, a non-sportbike) which means I save a whole wack of money on licensing, so don't rock the apple cart, lol
Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
LOL
Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
i agree with you 110% James. if i was looking to walk into a showroom and buy a bike to ride cross country on, i wouldnt throw a leg over the VTR and say "This is the one!"

its without a doubt a sport bike. i think what the VTR is not is a "supersport" or a "superbike" because those terms are refering to race ready, track bred, monsters. To me the VTR, in Stock form is more like a CBR650F which looks like this

now i think everyone can agree the the CBR650F isnt a sport touring bike. i think the common consensus is that it is a de-tuned and more comfortable CBR that doesnt bite back quite as hard. honestley the VTR is more sporty than that CBR650 IMO. What keeps the VTR from being a "super-sport" type bike is it lacks the "race-track refinement" that bikes like the R1 or Gixxer are built with. The parts that were used on the Hawk werent meant for outright performance, but more so making the hawk a excellent, very pleasing, real world sportsbike. Lets be honest, most idiots that buy an R6 are never gonna take it to the track... but that bike was born for track riding... so Honda i think realized that and made a sportsbike built for the road rather than another race replica. theres a TON of bikes like the Ninja 650, gixxer 650, yammy 650, etc... that are more sporty than a "standard" but not as racey as their 600 counterparts. they fall into their own class of a relaxed sport bike. nothing that a few simple mods cant change.

This Honda ST1300 IS a sports-touring bike just in case people are confused about what classifies as one.

I dont think the VTR fits into that category AT ALL.

i deffinatley think that the mods alot of us do quickly tip the scales for the VTR into the Super-Sport catagory. things like USD forks, Braced swingarms, racing shocks, lightened flywheels, engine upgrades, etc.. are all mods that if the VTR came with off the showroom floor, no one would ever call it a sports tourer, and those are all things that bikes like a CBR1000RR come with standard. the VTR, with what ive done, is a very track ready. very competent at high speeds and high lean angles. plenty of power to take the 600's and agile enough to carry more corner speeds. my bike now is right in line with the 600cc I-4's. but its deffinatley a very capable track weapon. ive also heard of people ripping it on the VTR at the track in stock form. i havnt heard of anyone ripping a honda Goldwing at the track...

i think the reason people call it a sports-tourer is because honda already had the CBR900RR so obviously any other bikes they made werent a full on sports bikes right? wrong. but like i said i think there is a difference between a sports bike and a race replica. so well it annoys me when people say its a sports touring bike, i do understand their train of thought. i think it just doesnt fit into any one catagory which is why it was referred to as a great "all-arounder" when it was being sold. its a sport bike that is at home in the twisties as well as a track day. i think people just get confused because it didnt come standard with all the latest and greatest racing pedigree's so they automatically had to put it into a "standard" or "sports-touring" catagory.

My insurance calls it a "super-sport" and kelly blue book puts it in the "street-Sport" catagory right next to the CBR900RR, where bikes like the goldwing and ST1100 get put into the "touring" catagory.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
It is very important to my personal sanity that I call it a sports tourer. I am unable to re-formulate conceived notions of reality and so any legitimate, logical argument that you present will result in me stating my view more adamantly and with more volume. This forum's founders I can confidently say based it on the VTR being a sports tourer, and if you don't like it, then you can just get out!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
+1 7moore7.

When the VTR1000f was in production Honda had sports bikes, they where the Fireblade & RC51, that's why the VTR1000f is called sportstourer , ( I think maybe that's why it has higher handle bars, lower foot pegs, moore comfortable seat & so on..... )
Old 05-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Squid

SunsetSuper is on a distinguished road
"Tourer" it is NOT

Show me ONE touring bike that has a 120 mile range gas tank, NO fuel gauge and a ******** popping seat!

Just as it isn't meant for 2-up distance riding, it isn't a touring bike by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:07 PM
MotoGP

*clenched teeth"

SPORT TOURER!!! << I don't need any supporting evidence because I know I'm right.

And don't you say otherwise. If it is ever classified as a sports bike I will sell it and buy a proper UJM like a CB1100.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:17 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2
+1 7moore7.

When the VTR1000f was in production Honda had sports bikes, they where the Fireblade & RC51, that's why the VTR1000f is called sportstourer , ( I think maybe that's why it has higher handle bars, lower foot pegs, moore comfortable seat & so on..... )

Just wanted to mention that the RC51 want in production in 1997 at the release of the superhawk, and the only compairable bikes at the time in Honda's line up were the CBR919RR (AKA 900RR) and The CBR600F3.

For any of you who have ridden either of these bikes you would notice that the seating position is just as relaxed as the SuperHawk, the only difference is the clip ons lower.

That being said, if you took the Hawks clipons and stuck them under the tripples they would be at about the same position.

The difference was, they didn't update the SuperHawk. (Why fix something that isn't broke?) Instead, for the guys who loved the V-twin engine but wanted a little more of that modern sport bike feel, they made the RC51.

So when compairing the SuperHawk to other sport bikes, make sure you use bikes of the same time period, not bikes that are 10+ years newer.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM
SuperSport

Like has been said the RC didn't show up until 3 years after the hawk. I think its rediculous to call the VTR a touring bike. If it is then it has to be the worst touring bike ever built. Horrible range. Not comfy on long trips. Not comfy for a passenger. Not a lot of storage options. Just a low gas light. No clock. One trip meter. The list goes on....
Like I said its not a race ready super bike but it sure as hell, even in stock trum , isn't a touring machine. It falls in the all arounder category. It IS a sport bike. Not a SUPER sport but a sport bike none the less. I've seen panigales with luggage taken cross country. Doesn't make it a touring bike.

Ive seen magazine articles from back in the day call it a touring bike. I think they mean that in the same sense of the word as "touring car racing" in Europe. not because those cars are meant for cross country road trips. Its just another way of saying a street car. Not a race car with license plates. which is what bikes like a panigale are. A race bike with headlights and a license plate
Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2
+1 7moore7.

Where you are wrong in this though is that when the VTR1000F was realeased in 1997, so was the new VFR800 which as we all know is a true sport tourer.

Which would leave a sane person to wonder why Honda would release TWO Sport Touring V-twins in the same year with one being a true sport touring bike, and the other to be closer to the sport bikes of the same time frame?

Because they didn't, the SuperHawk is a sport bike, the VFR800 & VFR1200 were the sport touring V-twins.

Let us read these links and see how they classify these bikes

VFR800: Honda VFR800 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VTR1000F: Honda VTR1000F - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well according to this the VFR is a Sport Touring Bike, and the VTR is a Sport Bike. Hmmm.

7moore7 : I guess it's time for a new bike
Old 05-19-2014, 01:49 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
The good thing about the Vtr is that you can make it into a tourer or a sports bike.

That's the thing I love about it.

Mine is tending towards sports with all the mods I have done, however I have toured it as well.

I don't know of too many other bikes that have this versatility.

That's what I like about it.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:05 PM
SuperSport

I also like how it is so versatile and can easily be made into a touring bike or a supersport with just a few mods.

But I guess the debate is on the bike in stock form and I don't think anyone would consider the VTR of they set out to be a touring bike.

What I don't understand is why people think that Honda can only make ONE of each class of bike at a time. Since they already had the 900rr then obviously another liter sports bike was out of the question. So it has to be something else. Wrong. Its a sport bike that had a totally different power plant and was meant to grab some of the ducati sales.

Regardless of what people call it... I ride it like a race bike. You could call it a Harley but I'll still ride it like I stole it
Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 PM
MotoGP

The very existence of the superhawk relies on it being a sport-tourer. Who would want to live in a world where it's not? What would be the point?
Old 05-19-2014, 03:09 PM
SuperSport

Well I was considering buying a VFR as my track bike. I don't wanna hurt my beloved hawk. Plus that way I can save the hawk for long road trips and 2-up riding. I've always found the VFR to be such an amazing superbike. I know every piece of logic ever says its a touring bike but It just corners like its on rails and man can you lean that thing over. Its nice and light to so it pulls hard out a corners and lofts the front no problem. Its the same reason that motogp bikes use V4s. They would have never put such a racey engine in the VFR if it wasn't meant to be tossed around a race track.

The hawk on the other hand is huge and heavy and barley leans over. It has no power or torque and its basically a sporty looking Harley. Good for long cruises down the highway. Idk why anyone would call it a sport bike. Its obviously Hondas version of a Harley. A Honda Davidson as I call it. Or sometimes I call it a hardly Davidson. Either way its a cruiserrrr. That's why they added SO much wind protection and such a longggggggg tank range. I can't remember the last time I had to get gas.

Edit: now doesn't all that sound freaking whacked?!?
Its a sport bike. Ask Big Red if they designed the VTR for touring.

I find it REALLY hard to veleive that companies like revloution racing, Moriwaki, yoshimura, etc.... Would produce racing parts for a touring bike. And go as far as to RACE the bike which made the cut in British SuperBike!! Touring bikes DO NOT race in BSB or suzuka or BOTT.

If you seriously think the VTR is a touring bike then you need to go ride a touring bike....

Last edited by jscobey; 05-19-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Then on the other hand... I find my VFR800 to be slow and heavy.

I much prefer the Superhawk for anything other than long distance, or hauling a passenger around.
Going interstate, or out of state? It's all about the VFR for putting miles behind you.

My Superhawk corners like it's on rails, and is always wanting a little more lean, a little more throttle, a little more...
It feels smaller, narrower, lighter, much more like a 600 sportbike, and much more nimble than it's yellow slightly portly little brother.
If it's going to be a FUN ride, I'd leave the VFR in the garage and take the VTR.
(As long as we're not leaving civilization behind and there are plenty of gas stations where we're going.)

In fact, having recently purchased a ZRX1100, I'm selling the VFR.
I think I came into the Interceptor following a little too late and they were already out of kool-aid. It's very nice, but I've never been in love with that bike.
The ZRX is much more fun to ride, roomier, has loads of low-end torque, handles a passenger better, is easier to turn and steer, and just as comfortable if not more so.
(both bikes have upgraded bars, Sargent seats, and aftermarket pipes)

I consider the VFR800 to be right in the middle of the sport-touring class, and I consider the VTR1000 to be a sport bike.
It's not the latest, newest, razor-edged supersport race replica, but neither is a FZR600, and it still qualifies as a sportbike.

But my new favorite is my old favorite... I had a ZRX1100 in Atlanta in 2001, and I have missed it since then.
So now I have another one, and I'm very happy with it. Now it's time to clean out the garage.

Over the next 60 days, I'm dropping from 5 bikes to 1. Then maybe I'll start shopping again...
I'm thinking a Valkyrie would make a nice sport-touring bike. Track day, anyone?

Last edited by FTL900; 05-19-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
I would like there to be machine with the comfort of the VFR and the raw disobedience of the VTR, for under $3500 Wait, that's an Aprilia Futura.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
I will go with 7 Moore on this...let's call it sport touring, as I like my $100/yr. Insurance. :-)

We all know what it really is though...One bad *** machine.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
*clenched teeth"

SPORT TOURER!!! << I don't need any supporting evidence because I know I'm right.

And don't you say otherwise. If it is ever classified as a sports bike I will sell it and buy a proper UJM like a CB1100.
I'm old and my hearing is shot. WHAT did you say? Speak up if you have something to say.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:54 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
sport bike plain and simple.
not a repli racer
not a sport tourer
it is in the same vein as a ducati 900 ss.
sport plain and simple.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:33 PM
MotoGP

Y'all are brainwashed by new age mumbo jumbo. I know my rights and I will call it a sport tourer until the day I die.

What about the fact that if I put touring tires on it, they fit? You can't explain that, other than it was meant for touring!! I even use touring bearings in the wheels, which puts the nail in the coffin right there.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
Just got my notice for renewal with Progressive, $79 for the next year. My R1's were around $85 and the FZ1's were $82. Of all things, my Vulcan Classic was $100/year.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
It is very important to my personal sanity that I call it a sports tourer. I am unable to re-formulate conceived notions of reality and so any legitimate, logical argument that you present will result in me stating my view more adamantly and with more volume. This forum's founders I can confidently say based it on the VTR being a sports tourer, and if you don't like it, then you can just get out!

LAUGHING MY *** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

insurance on the S-Hawk... FULL coverage ++ $60.00 ever 3 months...
ON any of the RC-51s Full coverage ++ $1,100.00 a year.............................

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 05-19-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:08 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Its a sportbike. Period. Unless you are in England where the Brits call them sportsbikes.

A Honda ST is a sport tourer. (the word sport modifies the kind of tourer).

Kinda surpised so many guys are confused about this. I had a cbr600 before the hawk and did 1000mile trips on both. Doesnt make either one a tourer in any way.

I get the insurance thing. For years they gave me half price if the bike was under 400lbs. So every bike I registered I changed the title to be 398. DMV doesnt care what your bike weighs it turns out.

But for realz guys. There is nothing "touring" about a rip-snorting ill tempered v twin inferno.

What else is a touring bike, a tuono? An rsv mille? Panigale?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:54 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
*clenched teeth"

SPORT BIKE!!! << I don't need any supporting evidence because I know I'm right.

And don't you say otherwise. If it is ever classified as a touring bike I will sell it and buy a proper UJM like a CB1100.
Fixed that for ya. 130 mile range ain't no touring bike, plain and simple.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
What else is a touring bike, a tuono? An rsv mille? Panigale?
Depends on the season and whether for not its election year
Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FTL900
Then on the other hand... I find my VFR800 to be slow and heavy.

I much prefer the Superhawk for anything other than long distance, or hauling a passenger around.
Going interstate, or out of state? It's all about the VFR for putting miles behind you.

My Superhawk corners like it's on rails, and is always wanting a little more lean, a little more throttle, a little more...
It feels smaller, narrower, lighter, much more like a 600 sportbike, and much more nimble than it's yellow slightly portly little brother.
If it's going to be a FUN ride, I'd leave the VFR in the garage and take the VTR.
(As long as we're not leaving civilization behind and there are plenty of gas stations where we're going.)

In fact, having recently purchased a ZRX1100, I'm selling the VFR.
I think I came into the Interceptor following a little too late and they were already out of kool-aid. It's very nice, but I've never been in love with that bike.
The ZRX is much more fun to ride, roomier, has loads of low-end torque, handles a passenger better, is easier to turn and steer, and just as comfortable if not more so.
(both bikes have upgraded bars, Sargent seats, and aftermarket pipes)

I consider the VFR800 to be right in the middle of the sport-touring class, and I consider the VTR1000 to be a sport bike.
It's not the latest, newest, razor-edged supersport race replica, but neither is a FZR600, and it still qualifies as a sportbike.

But my new favorite is my old favorite... I had a ZRX1100 in Atlanta in 2001, and I have missed it since then.
So now I have another one, and I'm very happy with it. Now it's time to clean out the garage.

Over the next 60 days, I'm dropping from 5 bikes to 1. Then maybe I'll start shopping again...
I'm thinking a Valkyrie would make a nice sport-touring bike. Track day, anyone?

I don't think that I could disagree with you more on this subject!

Honda has a whole line of Harley want to be and I have one, a 2007 Honda VT1100 Shadow Spirit, it looks like a Sportster and will simply blow it away.

Along with the Honda Fury, Sabre, Stateline, RS, Phantom, Rebel and Aero Honda has plenty of V Twins to take on HD with!

If you want a Sport Touring Motorcycle look no further than the GL1800!

This bike is a rocket that handles like a dream, my 1800 lives 2 up on twisty back roads, the only problem with the 1800 is you have to tap the linked braking system to set your self up going into tight twisty turns, but still a great bike indeed!

IMHO the VTR1000F is a sport touring, sport bike m/c similar to the Suzuki V-Strom.

VTR V-Twin Race 1000 ******, When mother Honda gives a bike a name and moniker they use the letter R to describe a race bike.

A few examples, CBR1000F, CBR600, CBR600RR, CBR600F4i, CRF250R, CRF450R, XR400R, XR650R

Interesting thread!

SIRR1
Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 PM
SuperSport

have a look at this thread i started on the UK board and you will quickly realize that the VTR isnt a touring bike at all. yes i know all those bikes are in race trim, and not stock at all, BUT there is no such thing as "race trim" on a sport touring motorcycle such as the ST or Interceptors. case and point.

www.vtr1000.org &bull; View topic - Racing VTR "photo album"

i mean this guy doesnt look like hes taking a cross country road trip to me...
Name:  Picture018.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  69.0 KB
Old 05-20-2014, 02:34 AM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sailorjerry
Just wanted to mention that the RC51 want in production in 1997 at the release of the superhawk, and the only compairable bikes at the time in Honda's line up were the CBR919RR (AKA 900RR) and The CBR600F3.

So when compairing the SuperHawk to other sport bikes, make sure you use bikes of the same time period, not bikes that are 10+ years newer.

VTR1000F production - 1997 - 2007
RC51 production - 2000 - 2006
Fireblade production - 1992 - present

What are you talking about "10 years newer" RC51, VTR1000F & Fireblade all in production at same time between 2000 - 2006 ! In Australia CBR900RR, CBR919RR, CBR929RR, CBR954RR, CBR1000RR are all Fireblades.

Last edited by hondavtr1000sp2; 05-20-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 AM
MotoGP

Poes law in full effect

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE