Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:22 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2
VTR1000F production - 1997 - 2007
RC51 production - 2000 - 2006
Fireblade production - 1992 - present

What are you talking about "10 years newer" RC51, VTR1000F & Fireblade all in production at same time between 2000 - 2006 ! In Australia CBR900RR, CBR919RR, CBR929RR, CBR954RR, CBR1000RR are all Fireblades.

I am talking about bikes that were built at the same as the first production year of the hawk. The reason being, is because since its release it never got any major upgrades. So when you compair a 2005 Superhawk to a 2005 CBR1000RR, the look, the riding position, everything seems a little more sport touring by that time. Reason for that is that by the time of the 1000rr rear sets were further back and higher up, riding position is more agressive.

But no go back to its release in 1997 and compare it to the 919rr and really, its not that different. Riding position is about the same, power out put isn't drastically different, carbs are used on both bikes, suspension setup isn't too far off. So if you think about it the 919rr was the superbike of that time frame and the hawk shows similar traits.

IMHO, compairing the superhawk to the RC51, the 1000RR, is like compairing apples to oranges.

As for the 10 years newer, I wasn't talking about the bikes you mentioned, more so the people compairing them to bikes made in the last few years like the CBR650F and such.

As stated, it's not a Superbike, it's not Race Ready, but it is a sportbike.

Of all the bikes I have ridden, I have never had a Sport Touring bike leaned over to 50* of lean angle. The SuperHawk on the other hand, she loves it.

The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-tires.jpg

The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-tires2.jpg

Please feel free to show me a Sport Touring bike that will wipe the chicken stripes off like that on a PP3 and I will be very impressed. The Hawk is a Sportbike all day everyday.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I don't think you understand. If anything, it's a touring bike purebred. Why do you think they gave it a third eye running light? No one needs that nonsense on a track!

I always thought VTR stood for Vivacious Touring Rascal.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:30 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Very tiring rhetoric
Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 AM
SuperSport

Damn, I guess you're right.

Hold on, let me strap my luggage to this 1000RR and tell the insurance company that because it has a 3rd eye running light it is a touring bike and not a supersport. I'm sure they will agree with me

Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
UJM
Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jerryh
UJM

First bike concidered a UJM was what again?

Oh yeah! That's right, it was the CB750. Also known as the worlds first Superbike.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yeah but the third eye is bigger on the Superhawk!

Ok I've had enough fun. I'm going to bow out before someone starts throwing virtual punches my direction for saying the Superhawk is basically the same bike as a Victory Cross Country. You guys should know me better by now
Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 7moore7

Ok I've had enough fun. I'm going to bow out before someone starts throwing virtual punches my direction for saying the Superhawk is basically the same bike as a Victory Cross Country. You guys should know me better by now

HAHAHA, Its all in good fun here 7.

I think we can all agree on one thing for sure.... The Hawk is an amazing machine that most of us wouldn't trade for the world.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Squid

SunsetSuper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sailorjerry
HAHAHA, Its all in good fun here 7.

I think we can all agree on one thing for sure.... The Hawk is an amazing machine that most of us wouldn't trade for the world.
+1 Here....
I'm living in heaven...got an Aspencade 1500 sitting right beside my beautiful SuperChicken.
One for show, and one for go!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
BUT there is no such thing as "race trim" on a sport touring motorcycle such as the ST or Interceptors. case and point.
Ahem

Interceptor race bodywork
HONDA VFR750 1994-97, VFR 750 fairings, bodywork, fairing, upper, lower, mid, seat side, race, street, fender, tail, undertail, tank

Remember the interceptor is based off the RC30 which was a race bike

and as for the ST, its a perfectly capable track bike thank you much.. I was told at my trackday this past weekend I could bring it to do my 2 up riding session with.. I want to make a fiberglass front cowl for it now just to be snarky about it

Really just about anything can be made into a race bike though.. even Harley has had their day on the race track That doesn't mean it will be a race winning bike, but I don't care what it is.. bar stool, horse, bicycle, and especially if it has wheels and an engine it can be raced

Last edited by insulinboy; 05-20-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
That's not really relevant. Sure you can put race plastics on an interceptor but that's just a touring bike with race plastics. Sure you can take any bike to the race track. Doesn't make it a race bike.

My point is that the hawk isn't a repli-racer, nor is it a touring bike. Its just a sport bike. Since no one has, here is the definition of a sport bike

"A sport bike, aka "sportbike" and "sportsbike", is a motorcycle optimized for speed, acceleration, braking, and cornering on paved roads,[1][2][3][4] typically at the expense of comfort and fuel economy by comparison with more standard motorcycles.[5][6] Soichiro Honda wrote in the owner's manual of the 1959 Honda CB92 Benly Super Sport that, "Primarily, essentials of the motorcycle consists in the speed and the thrill," while Cycle World's Kevin Cameron says more prosaically that, "A sportbike is a motorcycle whose enjoyment consists mainly from its ability to perform on all types of paved highway – its cornering ability, its handling, its thrilling acceleration and braking power, even (dare I say it?) its speed."

I think its obvious that the hawk was built for handling and excitement. Not comfort (hard seat, horrible tank range, not comfy on long runs) but it has loads of power that are deffinatley thrilling. Handles like a dream. Corners great. Accelerates and brakes amazingly fast.

I really don't know how anyone could sit on the hawk and think "this would be great for cross country riding"
Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
So a sport-tourer is only 700 lbs while a touring bike is 900 lbs?
I found a copy of Motorcyclist magazine from April 1997. The lead article is called "Battle of the Twins". It compares a Ducati 916, a Suzuki TL1000S, and our own VTR1000F. The gist of the article is if you're going to the racetrack, get the Ducati. If you want fast, but butt-ugly with a jerky throttle, get the Suzuki. If you want a good fast bike for the real world, get a Super Hawk. Some quotes "Still when the cruel realities of straight pavement, urban traffic, and the credit union specify more of a broadband approach, nothing goes faster easier than the Super Hawk."
"In a 10-round decision, I'd have to go with the dang Honda. It's not quite so sportingly competent as the Suzuki at high speed, but I always head for the slow twisty stuff when I go for a ride anyway, and that's what the Honda likes. There's not quite as much top-end power as the Suzuki, either, but it's interesting to exit a 50-mph corner at about 4000 rpm, behind the Ducati, and whack open the canal locks Honda calls carb slides: buwHHUUUUUUUpp. You'll run right up the 916's twin tailpipes if your not careful. Whoa! Up to about 60 to 70 mph, I'd wager the VTR is one of the very fastest vehicles ever.
"You can also ride the Honda to work every day, comfortably, and you could even take somebody for a ride in back if you wanted to. Where it really whomps the TL, though, is in the looks department. While Honda captured some 916 beauty in its bike, Suzuki captured some sort of big koi fish."
" Ahh, but it's this razor-sharp focus wherein lies the Duck's Achille's Heel too, as it misses the mark as real-world transport...That said, I'd have to nod to the VTR here. It's almost everything the Duck is, and isn't, which is to say cozy."

Almost a Ducati without the torture, that sounds like a practical sportbike. That's why I got my 'Hawk. Got to go open the canal locks.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Amateur Hour, Every Hour
Squid

TboneNast is on a distinguished road
These labels are incredibly subjective. To me, it's all about the combination of rider and machine. I've seen nutcases tearing up corners on homemade choppers at mind-bending lean angles who then proceed to ride them on a 600 mile camping journey. Isn't that considered sport-touring? But it's a chopper?!

Additionally, each individual motorcycle can be rigged, hacked, tuned, set-up, messed-with, massaged, and/or completely overhauled for a plethora of purposes.

Here's some handy code to assist you with future posts:

[IF]
(The scope of this argument) = solely relates to insurance rates based on motorcycle classes.

[THEN]
Proceed to bitch, moan, and nitpick

[ELSE]
Worrying about what "they" call YOUR bike is not a worthy allocation of brain energy...
Old 05-20-2014, 05:55 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sailorjerry
Where you are wrong in this though is that when the VTR1000F was released in 1997, so was the new VFR800 which as we all know is a true sport tourer.
Do I really need to pull out my library of old magazines...

Motorcycle Consumer News, December '96 "By far the most notable of the two is an all-new supersport twin, the VTR1000F, dubbed the Super Hawk."

Cycle World 1997 "One of this year's most eagerly awaited sportbikes, the VTR1000F takes dead aim at Ducati's vaunted 916."

Should I keep going, because I can?....

Honda was gunning for the 916 plain and simple, not some "touring" bike.

Last edited by Wolverine; 05-21-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 PM
SuperSport

I think its also worthy to note that in a few articles I saw quotes from members of Honda saying that the VTR is meant to rival the performance of era ducatis while still maintaining real world capabilities. By this I figure they meant that they did more to make it a canyon carver that's just as at home on the highway as it is on the racetrack.

Its not a race bike with lights which is what Honda intended. Although mines beaten plenty of 916's 996's 998' and hell even a few 1098's at the track
Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
It's an out of production motorcycle. Why does anybody care what it's called?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I think its sad and confusing that this is even a question. I guess lots more non-bikers are getting into riding and buying hawks, then not understanding what they bought.

Maybe reading this will take the place of being an avid biker for years and reading every moto mag in print.

Honda ST series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Honda ST (for Sport Touring) series, also known as the Pan-European in some markets, fills the gap between touring-oriented sport motorcycles such as the CBR1000F and full-dress tourers such as the Honda Goldwing.

Introduced in 1990, the ST1100 provided many of the amenities required by touring enthusiasts in a sporty package better suited to European roads than the Goldwing. Its successor, the ST1300, was introduced in 2002 and discontinued in 2014
Attached Thumbnails The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-imagesg.jpg  

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 05-20-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 AM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7

NOOOOOOOOO ! I was laughing my **** off.

Just about to post the .

Some people are a little to serious to see humour when it slaps them in the face.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 AM
Squid

Barron is on a distinguished road
Excuse me...

Ehem... If I may interject... It's a full on tourer!

My last trip from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and return about 2 months ago. About 800km in one direction.

Return trip was 2-up(a friend hitched a ride) AND with full luggage. 160km/h all the way.

Besides 5 or 6 fuel stops(who's counting anyways) I would lable it a tourer/bagster.

Attached Thumbnails The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-img_8445.jpg   The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-img_8446.jpg   The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-img_8541.jpg   The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-img_8546.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Barron
Ehem... If I may interject... It's a full on tourer!

My last trip from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and return about 2 months ago. About 800km in one direction.

Return trip was 2-up(a friend hitched a ride) AND with full luggage. 160km/h all the way.

Besides 5 or 6 fuel stops(who's counting anyways) I would lable it a tourer/bagster.

Nice pics. Which saddle bags are those? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:27 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I think Cycle World summed it up pretty well when it won the "Sweet 16" shootout back in '97-"The VTR is a sporting streetbike, pure and simple. Honda even claims it's initial development target for the bike the 900SS. On the street, on stock tires, the VTR's suspension and handling are near-perfect, and the agile chassis makes it feel like a machine of the gods. It's a magical ride." They later go on the say "we like that fact that Honda designed the VTR for sporting street riding rather than racing."

I remember reading somewhere else that they said how well the bike performs at a 9/10's pace. Which is why when I first got one it felt so fast, because it was so comfortable and so much easier for an average rider like me to go fast on. That last 1/10 is probably beyond the reach of a lot of people and obviously all my riding buddies because I loved riding past their R1's and GSXR's in the corners. And Honda said they were surprised by how well it initially performed against the 900SS and it was only then that it began being compared to the 916-that's out of Cycle World '97's 916 Challenge.

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-12-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:39 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TboneNast
These labels are incredibly subjective. To me, it's all about the combination of rider and machine.
So true. I learned this years ago when I was pushing pretty hard on a ZX12 to keep up with a guy on a....go ahead it's ok...on a Goldwing. It's amazing what some people are capable of.

But all the "dual sport touring utility activity crossover" labels get pretty annoying after awhile. Gets me thinking of George Carlin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSp8IyaKCs0

Used to be called a "station wagon" now it's a "crossover sports activity vehicle" Makes mom seem a little cooler...Geesh.....

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-12-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:05 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
First off, I think 7 is just trying to rile folks up.

And B), BIKE magazine did a track test with the VFR1200 in Britan putting it on the racetrack against like 50 "pure sportbikes".

In all out lap times it beat early 900RR's, first gen R1's and cbr1000s. That big porky looking tourer.

In NH we used to have an instructor do near race pace on his kawi concours 2-up

I remember the first time I saw him in a practice, man did it look like some nut just rode onto the track.

But still, speed is not what makes a sportbike.

Oh and 7, no offense but you are banned from this thread. (if you dont mind)
Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
There's a certain fella on a Wing that will show you his tail all over The Dragon...
Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 PM
SuperSport

theres a dude that hits buttonwillow on some POS kawi from the late 80's thats half made of duct tape. the bike cant have more than 50 hp. needless to say he rides in A group and laps almost every rider out there.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Squid

Barron is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jerryh
Nice pics. Which saddle bags are those? Thanks!
Hey Jerry,

They are Oxford X50 saddle bags. I think theyre 20L each in these pics but can be expanded to a combined 50L.

They are well made and realy good looking IMO. They suit the lines of bike nicely and have the same angle as my low mount pipes.

In my country(South Africa) I got them for R2200.00(rand). That should be aproximately $200.00 directly converted.

I plan on using them for the same trip in about 3 weeks time.

Check out their site!
Attached Thumbnails The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-img_7140.jpg   The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-img_7141.jpg   The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-img_7146.jpg   The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE-img_7149.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 01:22 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Barron
Hey Jerry,

They are Oxford X50 saddle bags. I think theyre 20L each in these pics but can be expanded to a combined 50L.

They are well made and realy good looking IMO. They suit the lines of bike nicely and have the same angle as my low mount pipes.

In my country(South Africa) I got them for R2200.00(rand). That should be aproximately $200.00 directly converted.

I plan on using them for the same trip in about 3 weeks time.

Check out their site!
Looks like they were made for the Superhawk. SA is beautiful! Thank you Baron!
Old 06-14-2014, 01:29 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by bmidd
There's a certain fella on a Wing that will show you his tail all over The Dragon...
There is an old timer Sorney and I've ridden with who rides a 1000 vstrom with all terrain tires on cheroholla. Old school open face helmet, zip down hood and really has some moves. He's wadded it up one time, grass clippings on the road
Old 06-14-2014, 07:36 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kenmoore
The good thing about the Vtr is that you can make it into a tourer or a sports bike.

That's the thing I love about it.

Mine is tending towards sports with all the mods I have done, however I have toured it as well.

I don't know of too many other bikes that have this versatility.

That's what I like about it.
+ .5

I've turned mine into a tourer of sorts - BUT the bottom line its a ******* great moto.

V-Twin Baby!!!!!

Call it whatever U want - Just ride it, but don't pass a gas station without getting some

My Touring VTR
Heated Grips
Taller windscreen
cig lighter charger
Givi Top Case

My Sporting VTR
Ohlins
RaceTech
Erion Pipes

I bought her new & will NEVER sell it!

I love U baby

Old 06-14-2014, 09:23 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
+ .5

I've turned mine into a tourer of sorts - BUT the bottom line its a ******* great moto.

V-Twin Baby!!!!!

Call it whatever U want - Just ride it, but don't pass a gas station without getting some

My Touring VTR
Heated Grips
Taller windscreen
cig lighter charger
Givi Top Case

My Sporting VTR
Ohlins
RaceTech
Erion Pipes

I bought her new & will NEVER sell it!

I love U baby

You two should get a room lol! Actually when traveling I get a ground floor room and roll that sucker inside. Like to keep her close. We watch spanktra vision together

Quick Reply: The VTR1000 Superhawk is a SPORTBIKE