General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR vs VFR

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Squid

hzryr61 is on a distinguished road
VTR vs VFR

Hey everybody!

I'm still here, but I still haven't taken the plunge! But it is getting too nice NOT to get a bike.

In my need to over-analyze everything - I stumbled across the VFR (800). From what I can tell, it's wider, longer, and the seat is lower, and it is a bit more $$. It also looks like there are less of them on the used market.

What are feeling about the difference between them? I think I saw someone on the board that has both, please chime in.

One of the things I liked about the SH that I test rode was the torque, it seemed to make it easer to ride and more 'mannerly'.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Squid

DavidEW is on a distinguished road
I've had both. Originally had a VTR, sold it and got a the newest generation Interceptor and sold that to go back to the VTR. Some big differences I noticed:
Wasn't a big fan of the VTEC kicking in on the Interceptor. Something Honda threw in just to over-tech everyone else.
Weight. The Hawk is (and feels) much lighter.
Brakes. The Interceptor had ABS (which again I'm not a fan of) and the infamous linked braking system no one seems to like all VFRs have. I prefer to control the brakes myself thank you.
I love the instant pull of a big V-twin. The VFR is no slouch, but a properly modded Hawk will slap most bikes around off the line.
The engine is SO much simpler to work on yourself and cheaper to have a dealer work on it than the high-tech 4 cylinder VTEC VFR engine. Try adjusting the valves on that thing and you'll be drinking heavily in no time.
The Interceptor is a MUCH better 2-up cruiser though. I bought it so my wife and I could ride together - she got pregnant so I no longer needed a bike that can comfortably carry a passenger. That bike was the best for sport touring.
The money you would save buying a used VTR over a VFR would let you mod everything and anything on it and have money left over.
These are just my opinions from owning both bikes - many people swear by the VFR. If you were to get one I would personally suggest (and so would many others) you get the previous generation VFR which was sportbike of the year, weighed much less, had gear-driven cams everyone loved and is a great used buy.
I have never had a bike that made me grin more that this twin Hawk though. It's like being a kid again with a dirtbike it's got so much torque. Very confidence inspiring too unlike it's rival the Suzuki TL1000 which basically just scared the crap out of anyone riding it.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Here are some comparison pics I took. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17682

The VTR feels little lighter and more nimble plus feels more like a "sport bike", I can see the VFR for long cruises but you can make a few mods to the VTR and you can go on those same long cruises - better seat and maybe some risers. As for me im sticking with the VTR.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Squid

Rolla_guy1 is on a distinguished road
I took a VFR for a ride last yr and for me the power wasn't there and it just felt like a wide bike. they would be a nice bike if you are riding for unless hrs and maybe better for a pillion. if i was you i'd be goin for the VTR, the power is there at any Rev.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
DavidEW, you took the words right out my mouth. +100

I've been down the same road as well, Owned a VTR, sold it, bought a VFR, sold it, went back to the VTR. Simplicity is hard to beat.

Last edited by inderocker; 05-21-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Having owned a VF750 and an '88 VFR I agree with everyone. While my modded '88 was pretty close to the VTR in most respects and I'll argue was the best of the VFR builds, it was a PITA to work on. For me it all comes down to cost to own. Even if you were to get an older VFR which might cost you less than a VTR, it would still cost you more in the long run as it's got a much more complicated engine and has more working parts.

The bottom line is it's hard to beat a VTR on cost to buy and own; Nothing with similar HP and Torque specs is as cheap! Which lets you invest in upgrades to suit your needs.

Last edited by Moto Man; 05-22-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Squid

htwin is on a distinguished road
I did the same... I bought a brand new VTR, then I sold it to buy a Vfr 800. Them I sold the Vfr for another VTR... The power between the 2 is night and day... The only 2 thing I can add is the fuel economy. (With the VFR I was able to get around 350km before the light go on. With the VTR... 150KM ) And if you are planning to do some track day, with the VFR you will grind everything on both side of the bike when leaning over in the curve.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
The VFR I rode was a nice bike, but didn't feel as light or narrow as the Superhawk. The Vtec kicking in was a little unsettling, but I'm sure that's something I could get used to.

I guess it depends on what you want out of the bike. I've done stuff with my 'hawk that I really should be using a VFR for. I'm not sure how the VFR does in the twisties, but I can't see it being a big difference unless you're really going at it, in which case, the Superhawk isn't the best choice either.

There's really nothing sport-touring about the Superhawk other than the seating position. Shorter range, more vibrations from the v-twin, and zero cargo capacity or places to even bolt a rack to.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
I think it depends on what you want from your purchase.The VFR is a sport/tour kind of machine,with more emphasis on the tour. The VTR is a much more focused bike.Definite sport machine with loads of potential.
I agree with all the previous opinions,so just ask yourself what type of riding you want to do. If you can't decide.... then buy both!!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Also there's a big aftermarket for the VFR.

For the VTR, you have to use your imagination and have some ingenuity.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
seems like the vtr is a solid platform to build the kinda bike you want out of it. Some people focus on the track, some on comfort, and some on the ultimate canyon carver. With the limited range touring can be done too you just have to relax and fill up more frequently. The vfr on the other hand I don't think is a "build it how you like it bike" it does its job well ad thats it.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
I do miss churning out the miles.

Hard to do 1k miles a day on the VTR.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Rode 'em both, back to back. Each a fine piece in it's own way, but... The VFR is very busy mechanically. Noisy in the engine cases. Gotta lot going on between your knees.

Gimme' a good bass line to carry the tune every time.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Back Marker

epleeds is on a distinguished road
You can buy mine and have the best of both worlds....

Name:  IMG_3462.jpg
Views: 3554
Size:  54.7 KB
Name:  IMG_3459.jpg
Views: 3283
Size:  55.3 KB

let me know...eric
Old 05-21-2009, 06:01 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Moto Man

The bottom line is it's hard to beat a VTR on cost to buy and own; Nothing with similar HP and Torque specs is as cheap! Which lets you invest in upgrades to suit your needs.
Exactly, I don't need Ducati to build me a motorcycle.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the advice/info! All opinions are what I was guessing.
Now does anyone have suggestions on how to talk the wife into it?? LOL I was planning on 'having the talk' with her next w/e - wish me luck!

Eric - I PM'd you

Kevin
Old 05-22-2009, 01:55 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I can't add much to what has been said already, but here is my 2c (short version).

I own a 2006 VFR800 and a fully rebuilt 98 VTR1000. The VFR is my "tourer" and the VTR is my day ride. To me, this is the purpose they both serve best. The VTR is great as a fun bike in the twisties. The VFR eats up the miles in comfort, but the power and handling cannot match the VTR in the tight stuff.

Horses for courses as they say.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Viffer

I too have both, 92 VFR and 98 VTR. I know my VFR is not the new'est, but I love that bike! It's not thumpy like the VTR, but I love that gear whine.
Originally Posted by shayne
I can't add much to what has been said already, but here is my 2c (short version).

I own a 2006 VFR800 and a fully rebuilt 98 VTR1000. The VFR is my "tourer" and the VTR is my day ride. To me, this is the purpose they both serve best. The VTR is great as a fun bike in the twisties. The VFR eats up the miles in comfort, but the power and handling cannot match the VTR in the tight stuff.

Horses for courses as they say.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
Choices

I am glad that I seemed to make the right choice, I always wanted a VFR and was looking for one and came across the SuperHawk first by luck. I don't have to tell you which bike I rode first, and I only rode one. I am still looking for ways to carry stuff. Bought a used pair of nylon saddle bags I think I can make work. I almost didn't buy the SuperHawk because of reading about the bad mileage though, but last tank was 38 mpg (all highway 65-70 mph) and I can live with that.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Oh man, I just went through the same thing. I like to ride with my wife, and it didn't take me but 1 riding season (well one ride with her on it really) to figure out the hawk was not going to work for me. My wife is a small person, but still, 2 up on the (stock) super hawk just plain blows. I needed a VFR for the kind of riding I like to do.

I had a deal lined up that went like this - brand new anniversary VFR from honda (they are still available) for my 05 hawk and 3 grand, out the door. I thought that was pretty good. I almost bought me that new red white and blue VFR. Until I remembered another sport tourer that honda doesn't make anymore - the CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.

So I found an 02 'bird with low miles and it's currently in my garage. It is very similar to a VFR, but with a much simpler, bigger motor.

And I want to tell you that this thing hauls ***.

Pegging the hawk was an enjoyable scenery blurring rush that I enjoyed often. Looking at the 1/4 mile times, I imagine the VFR experience is very similar.

WOT on the bird is a totally different experience. You had better have a lot of straight road ahead of you because you will cover it faster than you think. This is the fastest ride I have ever been on, and I don't want or need to go any faster. The torque is also quite amazing. I thought it was going to be slow off the line. It's not. Also, I really appreciate the extra pounds the bird carries over the hawk. I'll take a little more wieght to have a lot more stability.

I really didn't need/want anything faster than the hawk, to be honest, because the hawk is fast enough. Ride a CB750 nighthawk sometime and you'll appreciate how fast the hawk really is.

The blackbird is what I think the VFR should be. Honda could have dropped the VFR and kept on making the bird. It is better for 2 up than the hawk. The seat is actually nice and large. It doesn't constantly smash your nuts into the tank. It is extremely easy to ride smoothly at slows speeds. And it rides like a Cadillac.

Granted, it won't carve the corners like the hawk will (neither will the VFR), but it doesn't really matter beacuse when the road straightens out, it's over. It is plenty capable, though.

I'd say between the two styles of bike hawk vs. VFR/CBR1100XX you really need to figure out what kind of riding you will be doing. Distance riding - hawk doesn't like that as the tank is tiny and the engine is thirsty. Corner carving - hawk loves it. 2 up - hawk doesn't like that and neither does your body. General commuting - I think the hawk would be more fun. Maintenence - hawk for simplicity - however carbs need synced often. I had it done 2 times in 3,000 miles.

A word about honda's linked brakes, I like them. The bird's brakes are fierce. One finger will bring you to a stop no sweat. I like how the rear brake works, as I do not have to apply the rear brake early to settle the front, like I had to do on the hawk. If you are into racing, or riding at race speeds, you may not like them. In everyday street riding, they do what they are supposed to do, with no drama.

I would only recommend a blackbird if you have owned another bike with 100hp or more. It has more engine than a beginner should have access to, in my opinion. It is, however, the most well rounded sport bike I have ever ridden. It does everything well. You just need to remember that it can easily and quickly write checks that your butt can't cash (when it comes right down to it - any motorcyle can).

The hawk is a very fun steed, and it would be a nice first high performance sport bike. In fact, I think the hawk is one of those bikes you could ride for a very long time, as long as you ride alone. I really don't have a single genuine complaint about the hawk. It just turned out to be wrong for my purposes. But it is a very fine motorcycle.

I have never ridden a VFR, but with horsepower numbers in line with the hawk, and a general purpose similar to the bird, I think it would also be a great choice as a first high performance sport bike. I'm sure it rides like a blackbird, and probably stops like one too. So, given those similarities, I'd imagine it's a pretty good all arounder.

So I guess I'm echoing others here - figure out what you want first. There's a lot of good info about both bikes in this thread - and if you search, you probably find 10 more like it.

I will say this (like I haven't said enough already) if you are in doubt about what to buy - and can only get one - buy a super hawk. I'm glad I owned one.

Last edited by 59burst; 05-25-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Squid

I did some soul searching over the long w/e..
What kind of riding do I want to do - mostly commute and pleasure riding.
What is my skill level - a lot of dirt bike riding, like 25 yrs ago.

I've had my license for 15 yrs, but never used it (yes, I will retake the MSF course before doing anything).
When I test rode the hawk it 'seemed' to be a gentle giant - was I kidding myself? BTW - I'm on the smaller side (150lbs 5'8").

Kevin
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Hey since youre a dirt biker, you will appreciate how well you can slide the rear end powering thru turns, and when you hit the envelope and the tires break away, its very dirt bike like.
I bet a street-fighter superhawk could be ridden like a mile flat track bike.
Powering thru a turn with the rear sideways is a blast.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Back Marker

Liquidogged is on a distinguished road
I wanted a CBR1100xx Blackbird for a looooong time before getting the Hawk. All reports indicate that it is a rocket powered couch that actually handles.

I wound up buying my Hawk on eBay last September while I was still in Thailand, from a seller in Texas. I flew Bangkok to Houston, picked up the (fightered/ratted out) Hawk and proceeded to ride it to Virginia, and then up to Illinois, within the span of a few weeks, stopping here and there to visit people. So I know a bit about distance on the Hawk. I would add that my Hawk has no instruments or fairing of any kind, and I was wearing a backpack that easily has 30 pounds of gear in it. No saddlebags of any kind, just a tank bag.

The Hawk does just fine as a touring bike, IMO. If I could do all those miles with that set up, then I imagine I could gobble up serious miles with an aftermarket seat and some kind of saddlebags. The mileage wasn't in issue, with all that highway riding I was getting 40+ mpg. I can't stand to ride any motorcycle for more than a hundred miles at a time anyways.

I'm not sure if i could ever go back to a four banger now... the torque, the sound of the V-Twin... pure moto-crack. Maybe if I make it big in the future I'll add other bikes, but I think I'm gonna own the Hawk for good.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hzryr61
I did some soul searching over the long w/e..
What kind of riding do I want to do - mostly commute and pleasure riding.
What is my skill level - a lot of dirt bike riding, like 25 yrs ago.

I've had my license for 15 yrs, but never used it (yes, I will retake the MSF course before doing anything).
When I test rode the hawk it 'seemed' to be a gentle giant - was I kidding myself? BTW - I'm on the smaller side (150lbs 5'8").

Kevin
Yeah it's a "gentle giant"... The power delivery is linear and rather smooth so you have plenty of warning... However the gentle giant does have a rather healthy dose of torque, so if you poke it to hard with a stick you can get yourself in deep, deep trouble... Or serious fun, depending on how you look at things... Me, I'm stupid so I consider it fun...

The VFR is hammer and nails... The VTR is a sledgehammer and chisel... You can go "tap, tap, tap"... but it's o so darn inviting to squint your eyes, take aim and whack it real good...

VFR's are for gentlemen... VTR's are for... Well me...