General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR or SV1000S

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:01 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VTR or SV1000S

Just off the top of my head I'd say.......MONEY! You can get a VTR for a helluvalot less than a SV1000

2. IMO the Suzuki is an ugly@$$ bike but to each his own.

3. Honda vs Suzuki

Put the extra money you would have spent on the Suzuki into extra's on a good used VTR.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:46 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

If we're talking new bike purchase only, I have to say the SV. Even tho' the engine is just as old as the VTR's mid-90's design, the rest of the bike is more in the 21st century. The engine did have some teething issues on the TLS when new but they have had a long time to fix them.

The 1000S is pretty sporty in the riding position; very close to the GSXR. The no longer available standard model without the fairing had an honest to goodness handlebar so you could easily and cheaply get the bend you wanted. I personally HATE the instrumentation. Oh well, the good thing about a liter twin is you don't have to look at the tach very much! 8)
Old 02-15-2005, 01:15 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
I recommend you go to a nearby dealer and sit on both bikes, get a feel for how they fit you first.

SV1000 has fuel injection, while Superhawk is carbureted. I bought my F4i in 02 because it was the only 600 with fuel injection. Now that I am back on a carbureted bike, I prefer the throttle smoothness of it more.

I would recommend both bikes, so it is really your own decision.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

I'd buy a clean used Super Hawk and with the savings lay some pistons and cams in it for less than 700 bucks total if doing it yourself .

Stirs the soul when twisting the throttle and gives them some attitude :wink:
Old 02-16-2005, 10:59 AM
SuperSport

I assume your on Oahu. Traffic there is insane but you know that. No real place for the VTR to flex its muscle. Maybe the freeway late at night.

Have you considered an SV650??? If you haven't, do yourself a favor and throw a leg over one. The front end needs firmer springs but other than that, they really rock.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:17 PM
SuperSport

As I've mentioned before in these forums, my riding buddy owns an SV650 and we swap bikes often. Its a tough decision with no wrong answer.

I find his bike more comfortable and easier/fun to ride in traffic or tight twisties. However, on the highway there is no comparison, the VTR rules. What is surprising to me is how astonishingly fast the 650 accelerates up to 60ish. If my buddy catches me off the line, I have to really stand on it to catch him.

Still the difference in power keeps the VTR interesting. but....if you hardly get to drive on that freeway or through the pineapple fields, then I think the SV650 is a better fit.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:38 PM
SuperSport

I'm not saying the SV is faster, I'm just saying it goes like snot, way faster than it has any right to. All he's done is jetting and 2Bro's. Everyone that we ride with can't believe how fast it is. I think the best way to compare it would be in terms of cars:

SV is like a Mustang with a wrung out 302
VTR is like a well set up Camero with a 396

A lot of the people on this forum would choose it if they couldn't choose a vtr.

Also, the SV650 web site is unbelievable.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Squid

spacemonkey

$10,2 is a lot of cash I picked up a leftover '02 shawk last year for $6500 at a dealer. The day i picked up my hawk they had some sv's in. i was lookn at the 650's for my wife i like the they feel when in riding position but never got to ride one the salesman told me if i ever got the chance to ride one of the sv's do so they will surprise you. If i could talk my wife in to getting one I could spend some time on one but unfortunately she dosen't want to part with her 250 just yet
Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 AM
SuperSport

nope. svrider.com
Old 02-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Other than my not liking what one hostile critic of the SV1000S referred to as ugly, "origami" (folded paper) styling, I would weigh practical matters and cost above all else. Since the all-in-one dealers tend to push the SV over the SuperHawk, I would lean almost-naturually in the direction of quazi-collectible limited production numbers for the US version of the VTR--as in the pre-2002 versions of the VFR--and would lean also in the direction of the much lower cost for the many left-over VTRs currently being purged from dealerships in favor of VTRs with the new color scheme (with gold powder-coated wheels). The comparatively low price of $6995 seems to be the going rate for left-over VTRs, and there are even a few '03 left-over VTRs out there that can be purchased for even less.

Though some motorcycle magazine editors clamour for an udated, fuel-injected VTR, another practical consideration to take into account is the real-world, old-school advantage of owning a carbureted motorcycle: You can bump-start the thing if the battery goes dead. With modern fuel-injection systems on motorcycles (as on the SV), bump-starts do not happen--the fuel injection system will not work if the battery is dead or falls below a given computer-monitored current rating. Specifically, if your battery dies, so does your ability to get home without making some sort of arrangements to either replace the battery or tow the bike home--before thieves make-off with it. The carbureted engine of the VTR also adds what I would argue is the most distinctive feature of the VTR: its pop-and-snort, bad-***-sounding engine. (With the addition of aggressive-sounding slip-on exhaust and a jet kit, the world of VTR becomes a magical, rip-snorting place.) In a recent comparo of the "Best 50 Used Motorcyles", a VTR-converted editor noted that the VTR offers a distinctive "character-rich" engine (and that it is surprisingly affordable as far as used motorcycles
go).

Practical matters aside, the VTR is a nicely-styled, time-proven machine that owes more-than-a-little to that other, more famous, "Italian Red" V-twin sport bike. With an aftermarket lower fairing and stripped or polished wheels, the VTR is a real eye-catcher, as well as being a real ear-catcher. (Coincidentally, the other night, a young man who happens to own an SV1000S was admiring my VTR. His comment was "that's a very pretty motorcycle.") A Sharkskinz lower fairing and stripped or polished wheels add that little extra flash to the stock VTR's elegantly understated beauty. And, for the difference between the price a new SV and that of a left-over VTR, one could perform quintessential suspension mods (Penske shock, Race Tech fork springs, and Ohlins universal steering damper), allowing one to have a rides-on-rails motorcycle and still have enough left-over to pay for gas for many miles of agile fun.

Lastly, though the horsepower wars incline in the SV's direction, horsepower isn't everything, and one can always beef-up the VTR's engine by adding racing cams and forged pistons--even to the point where it could kick Ducati ***.

cheers,
-HotStreetVTR
Old 02-28-2005, 10:27 AM
SuperSport

wow, very well written. Sounds like you should be sending column's into the mags.