SV1000S or buy another SH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
SV1000S or buy another SH?

It's time for a new bike (long story)

I've owned a SH since 2000, so I'm well aware of it's Plus's and Minus's

What about the SV1000S? Anyone got any experience regarding the pro's/con's of the SV?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Squid

bkdu is on a distinguished road
I'll have a go ....

Firstly, the SH is muuuuuuuuuuuch sexier looking

And she's got character ... whereas the SV seems to be a well behaved little church-goer by comparison. Well, test rode a SV not long ago - if I didn't have a SH, I might have liked it ... enough power, very smooth, fuel injection (one of it's "flaws" now that I love my SH) which makes it (too) easy to ride in traffic.
Plus, I never liked the overall look of the SV ... but that's just me.

I love my SH (or Firestorm as we call 'em over here) ... the fact that you have to work and pay attention when riding in traffic (she demands a little work due to the carbies as opposed to injection ... or is that just me?!).
Absolutely love the look, sound and general feel. Then again, swapped with a mate a while ago and rode his Triumph Daytona ... he didn't like the vibrations on my Storm too much ... I on the other hand love that.

I'd say test ride and see which you prefer ... they might both be V-twins, but there's quite a bit of difference when riding them.

Cheers, happy new year ... and stay safe
bkdu
Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Every time I see and hear a Super Hawk, I just have to stand there and watch it.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:43 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk

What about the SV1000S? Anyone got any experience regarding the pro's/con's of the SV?
What kinda bike are you looking for? A superbike, a sport tourer, a naked? If you have a SH, getting an SV is kinda defeating the purpose. You already have a Vtwin, I would try something else, a V-four or a triple or even an inline 4.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I think the SV is a great bike (assuming you aren't keeping or don't have the SH anymore). Especially if you are into modifying it - I think the potential in the long run is easier with the SV. The un-modded power is higher, there are some very easy swaps to GSXR front ends for example and its a really nice bike overall. The looks are very different, more modern, but its subjective and some people don't like it. Of course I don't think they have the ideal forum support that the SH has
Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Squid

Prilliant03 is on a distinguished road
A lot of your decision is ultimately about whether or not you like the looks of the bike.

I personally have never liked the SV1000. The angular frame is just plain ugly to my eyes and the running gear looks cheap. I would also be wary of Suzuki quality in comparison to the Honda. I previously owned a GSXR600 which was by a considerable margin the worst finished and least reliable bike I ever had the bad luck to own.

You will of course be aware of the SH/Firestorm's own weakneses, so you'll know already if you could live with them day to day.

There is another option you might like to try. You might have to look hard to find one, but if you fancy a change you could give the Aprilia SL1000 Falco a look. I've owned 2 of these Italian beauties in the past and have nothing but praise for them. They are the only bikes on the market that can truly match Honda quality. Engines are bombproof, handling is superb, brakes are awesome, comfort is great, tank range is way beter than the SH, and dealer back-up is vastly improved compared to what it once was. There are of course owners who have had their share of problems with Aprilias, but the same can be said of most makes and models. If you want any more info have a look at www.apriliaforum.com

Really you can't go wrong with any of these bikes so it's all down to personal taste. Happy shopping
Old 01-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I'm looking into SH's and SV's to replace my current bike (Long Story). The Aprilla Falco and other 'rilla's are nice, but too rich for my blood. Also the 60 Degree v-twin just doesn't do it for me sound or "feel" wise. I prefer 90 Degree v-twins.

I too prefer the looks of the SH over the SV. My biggest beef with the SV is that I REALLY HATE that damn "11" tail lite arangement on the SV's... I just don't think the tail light is safe (Big enough, bright enough)...so that would be my first "mod" is to fix that.

The biggest advantage a SH would have, is that all of my "mods/parts" would transfer over.

They are similar in price used/semi-new...so I'm just wondering "why not an SV". We bought the wife a SV650S, and it's a darn good scoot. I'm just wondering if it's bigger brother has any problems/issues/gottacha's I should be aware of.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine who is a title winning racer raced an SV1000 for a time. For what it's worth, he said he never could get it to turn like he wanted unlike the SV650's he raced with and won; the engine is a heavy lump.
I can't say how it compares with a Superhawk, but it seems like a lateral move to me. The real world performance difference is basically nil.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Speed Triple
Old 01-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I have ridden my friend '03 SV1000 a few times. The driving position is much more comfortable compared to the SH. The engine feels about the same, the FI makes it run a little bit smoother but it's also a little bit less peppy than the SH twin. The transmission is awesome; the shifter is short and ALL the gears drop in with the precision of a swiss clock. The suspensions is the weakest spot of the bike, much worst than the SH, some work is needed right away if you want to ride an SV aggressively. The breaks are great! Braided lines are all they need to be more than satisfying.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Squid

gpz4jp is on a distinguished road
Wink A Matter Of Taste....

When I was first investigating the possibility of owning a V-Twin motorcycle (sportbike), I had the chance to look at and ride several. My first choice was the YELLOW VTR1000 which I was infatuated with the moment I saw one parked in the town square where I live. The owner let me sit on it, start it, rev it....and we talked motorcycles for about 2 hours. He filled me in on ALL the pluses/minuses of the VTR1000 (Superhawk) and was convinced even with the shortcomings, it was the most fun ride he had ever own in 30 years of motorcycling.

Regressing a bit....I could not find a YELLOW VTR1000 for quite a while which allowed me the opportunity to test ride several other models; Aprilias Falco and Futra models; Moto Guzzi's V11 Cafe Sport; Ducati SS900; Suzuki's TL1000S and later on the SV1000S. I even test rode the Honda V4 800cc. All of these test rides were in 2005. Each model had it's pluses and minuses; some down on power, some with low comfort factors, some with frequent and costly maintenance intervals, and a few with equally lousy gas mileage just like the Superhawk. As an example, the Aprilia Futura got about 130-140 miles per gas tank and that's suppose to be their "sport-touring" model!!! The Guzzi was interesting but felt awkward and steered slowly and was down on power compared to all the rest. The TL1000S was too racer-like and I knew I'd be getting off that bike to my chiropractor if I stayed on more than an hour. I absolutely hated the "feel" of their space-age rear suspension unit. I good friend of mine bought and recently sold his TL1000S because the unit kept heating up because it was close to the motor heat and the suspension got weird as a result. Not much you can do with that....The Duc 900ss was OK, low on the power, steered great but looked "old" in my opinion. The 6K Ducati desmonic valve adjustment interval didn't appeal to me either. The Falco was quite good but the forward lean was similar to most sportbikes....unforgiving The brakes worked OK, but felt like bricks....if you know what I mean. Gas mileage was 140-150 per tank for the Falco (per the dealer and others I talked to on line). The VFR was very nice but after riding the V-twins, was way down on my list regarding "character". Let's face it, NOTHING replaces the feel of the V-twin motor. Nothing!!! That left the SV1000S which I rode for nearly three hours in southern California. The first thing I noticed when performing a close inspection of the SV1000S was a lower level of fit-finish than your typical Honda bike. The bike was also fitted with aftermarket exhaust cans (probably an investment to get that v-twin sound up to par for perspective buyers). The first thing I noticed was at my first stop light. The brakes were absolutely terrible. They felt like wood (aftermarket here for sure). The suspension was also "adequate" but not better than the Superhawk for sure. I also felt the console was too "phony" looking. The squared off look and blue color reminded of my old 1987 VFR700F2 console design. Again, these are MY ASSESSMENTS and will surely differ from your no doubt. What I look for in a motorcycle is the following:

1) Uniqueness (which includes looks for sure as well as exhaust note)
2) Handling
3) Overall comfort
4) Dependability
5) Extended maintenance intervals
6) Rideability
7) Fun Factor

Despite I how I rank these, they are all important to me. These guided me to the VTR1000 and have not wavered with this bike. Sure...there are faster 1000cc bikes, better suspension, better brakes, and even some that handle better, but as an overall package, its the bomb!!! It starts every time without a single problem, rides great (love the fact you ride the Superhawk with the throttle) and sounds awesome. As far as the biggest downfall goes...horrific gas mileage, I say just this. I have a good friend who is pretty well off and collects cars. His favorite is his mid-60's Ford Cobra with that big motor, race-car like exhaust sound and torque everywhere. It get absolutely terrible gas mileage (10 and below mpg), but he loves this car the best because everything else is there and he has a great driving that car every single time he gets in it. That's how I feel about my VTR1000 also. If you feel the same, I'd look for another nice VTR1000. This is one bike I do not intend to ever sell. I have owned over 45 motorcycles, mostly sportbikes and this is the one that puts a smile on my face every time I take it out for a spin. Count yourself lucky. I do.
:
Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gpz4jp

Despite I how I rank these, they are all important to me. These guided me to the VTR1000 and have not wavered with this bike. Sure...there are faster 1000cc bikes, better suspension, better brakes, and even some that handle better, but as an overall package, its the bomb!!! It starts every time without a single problem, rides great (love the fact you ride the Superhawk with the throttle) and sounds awesome. As far as the biggest downfall goes...horrific gas mileage, I say just this. I have a good friend who is pretty well off and collects cars. His favorite is his mid-60's Ford Cobra with that big motor, race-car like exhaust sound and torque everywhere. It get absolutely terrible gas mileage (10 and below mpg), but he loves this car the best because everything else is there and he has a great driving that car every single time he gets in it. That's how I feel about my VTR1000 also. If you feel the same, I'd look for another nice VTR1000. This is one bike I do not intend to ever sell. I have owned over 45 motorcycles, mostly sportbikes and this is the one that puts a smile on my face every time I take it out for a spin. Count yourself lucky. I do.
:
wow.. i think i'm gonna cry....

I WANNA RIDE MY SUPERHAWK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the jack, you can have your thread back now...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk

What happened with the old SH? Stolen? Vandalized? Crashed?

Anywho, I love my SH, but with it being a 3 years out of production model, I'd give a few of the other bikes a ride just to see how you like them before deciding.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
my 2 cents worth

I have ridden sv1000s and raced a sv650......they are two totally different bikes.....they may look very similar...but thats about it.....the 650 is a very easy bike to ride fast or slow...gets great gas mileage.....and almost never breaks....
Sv1000 is kind of an odd beast...just does not inspire confindence like the the 650...is use's as much gas as our superhawks...I'm sure it's as heavy?......
I just did not like it to ride?......power and speed wise I doubt there is anything in it form superhawk to sv1000......
P.s I'm very happy with my 05 SH......
Aprilia's are cool...BUT!!!!....spares are a nightmare!
Have you thought about a triumph 675...they are getting cheaper used now.....ride real nice...handle perfect....great brakes good gas....if you are on the shorter size are a perfect fit...I had one for a while really like it...but was it a little to cramped for my 6'0" frame...just to painful on my wrist for daliy comuting..
Good luck with whatever you buy..
Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gpz4jp
rides great (love the fact you ride the Superhawk with the throttle) ...
I know just what you mean... dial the throttle back & it just dips right into the corner... give it a twist & it stands right back up. You feel sooo connected to the engine in the whole process of cornering. Love it!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Squid

Streaky is on a distinguished road
I'm almost positive I read a review by Rider Magazine (?) maybe a year ago (July 06?) comparing both of those models. I will look and see if i still have it.
I think the conclusion of that review was (suprise) they liked the superhawk....
Old 01-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Squid

Veles is on a distinguished road
ok i am a total noob on this forum and to vtr1000s! however i rhode an sv1k for some time and i totally loved the bike, it had a sporty riding position but it was comfortable enough to where i could ride it on longer rides and my arms and legs wouldnt fall off. now that my vtr is finally here it feels similar but a little more upright and comfortable (better seat for sure)

i have never ridden a vtr (still broken) but the sv was really nice, i loved the torque, handled fairly well, easy to throw around. i would test drive it and see how you like it.

personally i love the looks, its front end is a little big but its tail section looks very nice imo - especially with an undertail kit

again i dont know if its better than a vtr but its really nice