General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
Stephan: from what I gather, the sv will take 8l /100km in town, and about 6 outside.

I'm not that worried about out of town consumption (the vtr will average 7-8)

The in-town is killing me.

the SV650s from 2003 would be perfect if it would have a bit more punch...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
I would buy scooter for in-town riding, vtr itself is not good city bike, there is always more power than you can use and bike works better in higher speeds. Actually I rather use public transport than vtr because there is no fun, so it´s waste of money
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
I am NEW- so don't berate me here- but if you are looking at VTR you already know the range is a bit less than ideal- I am coming off of a hawk gt that had a 3.2 gallon tank- half the horse power- but was a hoot to ride- and i was fine knowing i had a max range of 125 miles per tank- that is why I wasn't fazed by the fuel consumption of the superhawk-

plus they are just more BA than the SV- truth

Craig
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Back Marker

stephan: where I live,it's ok with a bike like VTR. IT's no metropolis, rest assured.
And I wouldn't ride a scooter even if you beat me. (not to mention that would mean extra money).
I want a bike which I can ride anywhere/anytime.
And what public transport we got here...that's why I"d be using the bike in the first place

I think I will eventuall give a f**k and get the VTR... it's a too fun/nice bike to move to something else..
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Compromise is a part of life. If it was perfect everyone would have (or want) one.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insider
You doubt I will spend the difference between the SV and VTR in cash at the pump?

Here it goes:

I had the 2000 VTR in oct 2010. I've ridden it about two months, almost daily, putting up about 5000-5500 km. It was ridden 90 % in town (due to certain factors).

If you average a 9-10 L /100km fuel consumption that will get you from 495 to 550 liters. At the price of 1euro per liter, that would be 500-550 Euro spent in two months.

I can get a VTR for about 1500 eur (97-00 model).Let's say 2000 euro tops.

I can get an SV for just less than 3000 eur.

If i've spent 500 eur on gas in two months of almost daily riding, how much you reckon i'll spend in 1-2 years? especially if I wanna travel a bit?

So you see why i worry about money on fuel?

I don't wanna become a granny with the throttle,but neither rob a bank to re-fuel everytime..
There's a set of flawed calculations there, if I ever saw one...

Sorry, but you just can't compare it that way... To have any relevance to anything you have to compare it to the SV, not just calculate the fuel cost and say "X months of fuel = the price of an SV"...

If the VTR uses 9 L / 100 Km in town and 7 L / 100 Km highway (No, not 9-10, set it up properly and you will get 8-9, so if you get 10 start working on it...) and you ride 90 % in town and you do 5000 km then you get 440 L... At 1 € that's 440€ per month

If the SV does the same at 8 L and 6 L respectively you get 390€ per month... The difference is then 50€ a month and you will then spend the difference at the pump after 20 months, or two years of ownership...

But that is comparing a figure I kind of doubt is true...

The difference isn't that big, and even if it is, that is with an unmodified SV vs an unmodified VTR... Start modifying the VTR and you can gain hp and mileage VS the stock SV... Do the same to the SV and you will gain hp, but not much mileage... That's the downside of the FI... You can tweak a few of the parameters with an PowerCommander or similar, but it won't gain you much mileage, just more power...

Either way, get the bike you like... If it's a VTR, making it more frugal isn't that hard if you like too...
Old 01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Back Marker

Perhaps to some of you I might sound like an idiot making all these calculations & bothering about the fuel.
As you've said it tweety, if it's a small gap (as far as consumtion is concerned) between the VTR and let's say....the SV, then yes, there's no point of going for the SV. The vtr is cheaper and puts a big smile on the face.

I think I'll drop the comparisons ....

The only better visible choice would have been an 2003 onwards SV650s, which can get 5.something outside and a 7 in town.
Here it is a visible difference between the VTR (stock) & the SV.

Can you point me to some discussion threads as to what (easy/cheap) mods can be done on the VTR to lower the fuel consumption? I'm interested in mods which don't affect the riding/response/power (power as in i'm not interested in less power just for -1.0 L per /100km).
Or you can elaborate here ,if you want. They should be cost effective so one does not end up with a vtr costing as much as an SV.
thanks for the info until now
Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insider
Perhaps to some of you I might sound like an idiot making all these calculations & bothering about the fuel.
As you've said it tweety, if it's a small gap (as far as consumtion is concerned) between the VTR and let's say....the SV, then yes, there's no point of going for the SV. The vtr is cheaper and puts a big smile on the face.

I think I'll drop the comparisons ....

The only better visible choice would have been an 2003 onwards SV650s, which can get 5.something outside and a 7 in town.
Here it is a visible difference between the VTR (stock) & the SV.

Can you point me to some discussion threads as to what (easy/cheap) mods can be done on the VTR to lower the fuel consumption? I'm interested in mods which don't affect the riding/response/power (power as in i'm not interested in less power just for -1.0 L per /100km).
Or you can elaborate here ,if you want. They should be cost effective so one does not end up with a vtr costing as much as an SV.
thanks for the info until now
Seeing as I also pay € for my fuel, I know why it's an issue for you... The guys payng $ for their gas, well... Some of them understand, some don't...

There is no "simple" answer... Keep the airbox/filter OEM, swap in a set of billet velocity stacks and then jet the carbs... And that's the answer... Jetting... Aside from adjusting the nut behind the bars...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I have to ask if I am converting incorrectly. I am seeng all these relatively high consumption numbers...

Given:
7L = 1.85 US gallons
100K = 62.1 mile
Then:
7L/100Km
= 1.85gallon/62.1mile
=1 gal/33.6 mile
or
33.6mpg
This is correct, right? I have to ask because this would be my high consumption average. I'm in the states, so I am not typically riding continuously over 130kph, but I zip up to >200kph quite a bit because it is SO DAMN FUN!
If you search on mileage you will find several different threads where it is discussed
Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I can't remember what model it was, and I'm not going to dig through past issues of "Motorcyclist" magazine to find out, but I've read road tests within the last year where some current liter sized sportbikes delivered gas mileage in the low 30's.

Come to think of it, I believe one was as low as 28 mpg. Of course that's run on their test circuit (but not on the track).

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 01-18-2011 at 03:04 PM.