General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR fuel consumption

Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 AM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
VTR fuel consumption

I've been trying to search the web for some relevant info regarding the fuel consumption, but i wasn't lucky.

Can any of you tell me what's the average consumption in-town for the VTR (normal riding). Somebody told me that it's about 10L per 100 km (10.0)
And out of town, it's about 8L per 100km (8.0)

I'm trying to decide between a VTR (97-2000 model) and the Suzuki SV.
SV has the 'edge' on the consumption issue,which is quite important for me.

Even though I've had a VTR for a couple of months, I never tried to see what was the consumption,but I do remember i was NOT happy with the 'figures'...

I just wanna know if the VTR can average a 7-8 L per 100km, at 90-140 km/h riding outside the city, and a below/equal to 10 L per 100km, in town traffic.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Quite easily... Out of town/mixed riding, I get around ~7,5 L / 100 Km and in town somewhere around ~9 L / 100 Km in most cases or up to ~10L / 100 Km depending on if I play or not... This is with a bike that is heavily modified, and not being easy on the throttle... But it took some setting up too get there, stock it was a bit thirstier and gave me less power...

Jet the bike, and do it right and you get decent fuel consumption, cure all the little problems with large doses of fuel and you can get the consumption to go up considerably...

As a sidenote, on track I averaged 14,8 L / 100 Km...

No matter what, a FI bike like the SV will win on consumption, but an older SV is a royal PITA to ride in traffic as the FI/throttle is more than a little digital and the engine more peaky than the VTR's... Testride one before you make a decision, they might be similar on first glance, but two very different bikes...

Last edited by Tweety; 01-17-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
I have stock engine and consumption is

city: 8 /100
outside 8-9 / 100
cruising 7 /100
track 11-12 / 100

I believe with aftermarket cans and carb kit it will be similar, maybe lower, depends on proper setting.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
i got 43mpg last fill up with around town and mountain roads with moderate throttle nothing over 80. conversion said, 5.5l to 100kms. i suspect mid to upper 30s (35-38)mpg with spirited twisty riding...(6-7l/100km) i don't run the rpms up i stay in the mid rang using the torque. 4.5kr to 7k rpms, more momentum riding. something i picked up ridng/racing bmw airheads.

i have stock gearing.. 16/41

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-17-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Back Marker

Tweety: What attracts me to the vtr is pretty much everything,except the fuel consumption. I love how i sit on it (ergonomically speaking), I love how it HANDLES, how it sounds,how it looks, how it pulls, I also love that it is cheap and not a pain to look after.

If I had the cash, i'd go for a 2003/2004 SV 1000s.

It's newer, fuel consumption is lower than that on the VTR, it looks good, rides well, etc.

I'd go for a 2003/2004/2005 SV650s, but there's little difference in the price between 'em so I'd rather have the 1000s.

I was also thinking about the 99 - 01 SV650s but being used to the VTR, I don't think I'd be too happy with it (power /style wise). I'm not saying that the SV is underpowered for me, not at all,but I don't dig it that much.

So I think that's pretty much..the fuel consumption 7-8 outside, 9-10 in town.

I was also curious,after what speed, outside city, would the consumption rise significantly. After 130/140/150 km/h? after 160?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
Insider,
I too was looking at a hawk and was hesitant because of the mpg posts. But then I said screw it, I want a fun bike. I found a stock 2002 and was surprise that I was getting 45 mpg non-spirit riding and 40 mpg getting on it in the mountains and curves. Best decision I made.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
What do we really buy motorcycles for? The motorcycle carries your FAT ***, and the bike weight. I mean really -IF FUEL Consumption was really your concern.
You would NOT even be considering a 1 liter motorcycle- VTR, SV, or other....
Buy yourself a moped, Primus, or walk...
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
What do we really buy motorcycles for? The motorcycle carries your FAT ***, and the bike weight. I mean really -IF FUEL Consumption was really your concern.
You would NOT even be considering a 1 liter motorcycle- VTR, SV, or other....
Buy yourself a moped, Primus, or walk...
You didn't think much when you wrote that,did you?

So what you're saying, i'm not allow to want a 1000cc bike with some fuel economy?

Most 1000cc bikes have a fuel consumption less than that of the VTR so my question and the whole topic is very relevant,so are my 'concerns'.

Why I buy the bike is none of your business, since you put it that way.

There are bikes out there (600/650/750/800cc) bikes which have a greater fuel consumption than some 1000cc bikes.

If I'd ride the bike only on sundays, perhaps I wouldn't think about maintenance, I wouldn't think about consumption and all that stuff.
Perhaps I'd think only how good my "FAT" *** would look from the rear and how flashy the colors on the bike should be. (PS: i weigh about 65 kg,so I'm definitely not the one with the fat ***)

But since i intend to use the bike daily,as a means of transport, and also for fun (in weekends & so on), I strongly believe that I have to put fuel consumption into the ecuation.
I'm a poor bastard and I can't afford to spend all that money on fuel.
Then again,if I could afford, I wouldn't be asking these dumb questions about fuel, would I?

You're talking about the VTR being a 1000cc bike like it's some 180 bhp mean machine to which I shouldn't aspire and I should expect it to have some 15L per 100km fuel consumption.

C'mon dude.

I wanna VTR because I had one, i love it, it's cheap, looks & sounds great.

When you'll see me asking "Why does a 15.000 $ bike like the 1400cc ZX14R have a big fuel consumption", then you can easily mistake me for a retard....
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insider
You didn't think much when you wrote that,did you?

So what you're saying, i'm not allow to want a 1000cc bike with some fuel economy?

Most 1000cc bikes have a fuel consumption less than that of the VTR so my question and the whole topic is very relevant,so are my 'concerns'.

Why I buy the bike is none of your business, since you put it that way.

There are bikes out there (600/650/750/800cc) bikes which have a greater fuel consumption than some 1000cc bikes.

If I'd ride the bike only on sundays, perhaps I wouldn't think about maintenance, I wouldn't think about consumption and all that stuff.
Perhaps I'd think only how good my "FAT" *** would look from the rear and how flashy the colors on the bike should be. (PS: i weigh about 65 kg,so I'm definitely not the one with the fat ***)

But since i intend to use the bike daily,as a means of transport, and also for fun (in weekends & so on), I strongly believe that I have to put fuel consumption into the ecuation.
I'm a poor bastard and I can't afford to spend all that money on fuel.
Then again,if I could afford, I wouldn't be asking these dumb questions about fuel, would I?

You're talking about the VTR being a 1000cc bike like it's some 180 bhp mean machine to which I shouldn't aspire and I should expect it to have some 15L per 100km fuel consumption.

C'mon dude.

When you'll see me asking "Why does a 15.000 $ bike like the 1400cc ZX14R have a big fuel consumption", then you can easily mistake me for a retard....
quoted because sorry this is a bit ridiculous. of course some other 1L bikes have better MPGs (such as the SV) more than likely they are fuel injected. I have an idea for better economy, shift under 3k rpm's and be light on every accelleration. he was right about choosing a smaller bike. it's like buying the hummer instead of the vauxhaul!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
insider, I can see your point if you live in Europe, where gas is about double the price we pay on this side of the pond.

My mileage dropped at least 2 MPG after installing slip-ons and going up one size on the pilot jets. I used to get 38 to 40 mpg consistently with stock exhaust and pilot jets. Now I get 35 to 38 mpg, and my riding hasn't changed.

But to me that's worth it for the fun factor, and it's still double what I get in my Toyota Tacoma.

However, my wife's SV650S gets over 50 mpg like clockwork. It's a very fun bike to ride, but doesn't have near the punch of the VTR. I've never ridden an SV1000.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
In addition to the SuperHawk I have a 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 which is fuel injected and is much better on fuel consumption. I get about 10MPG more with the Z highway driving. The SuperHawk gets about 40MPG but does supply me with a bigger smile! Fuel economy should be in your thoughts when buying any vehicle because the oil companies are hogs and the price will never go down. Buy what's best for you in all aspects. What ever you do end up with enjoy the ride.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nothing
quoted because sorry this is a bit ridiculous. of course some other 1L bikes have better MPGs (such as the SV) more than likely they are fuel injected. I have an idea for better economy, shift under 3k rpm's and be light on every accelleration. he was right about choosing a smaller bike. it's like buying the hummer instead of the vauxhaul!
I don't wanna buy a bike and think about fuel every time i twist the throttle.
If I'd wanna go 'easy' on the throttle EVERY TIME,then really, i'd get a 250cc or something.

I just want some balance, if you know what I mean.

I want some pull, some handling,some looks,some sound,some economy.
I don't expect a bike to deliver all of these, but at least some,at some extent..and at a decent price.

I think the VTR has a far too big fuel consumption for its engine & perfromance, that's all.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Well the VTR has the largest carburetors that Honda ever put on a motorcycle, at 48 mm.

A Top Fuel Dragster or Funny Car burns 10 gallons of nirto methane fuel during every 1/4 mile run...(of course they only go 1000 feet now, for safety reasons). And the nitro goes for about $50/gallon.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Back Marker

VTRSurfer & nothing: that's pretty much what it comes down to. The smile on your face. But that's what i'm fearing,that the smile will be teared down by the gas
Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
I don't wanna buy a bike and think about fuel every time i twist the throttle.
If I'd wanna go 'easy' on the throttle EVERY TIME,then really, i'd get a 250cc or something.

I just want some balance, if you know what I mean.

I want some pull, some handling,some looks,some sound,some economy.
I don't expect a bike to deliver all of these, but at least some,at some extent..and at a decent price.

I think the VTR has a far too big fuel consumption for its engine & perfromance, that's all.

Your expectations are fair. The vtr is by no means the top performer on the track, nor is it an underpowered bike. It is all round a good, solid bike suited to fit many needs and desires. You're not going to find that magical bike with huge torque and a low fuel consumption and stellar handling for 'the right price' - ever. I think you would be happy after coming back to the vtr. Good luck with the decision, no pressure!
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
carb tuning is a huge thing on these bikes. i increased my fuel range from full to reserve light by almost 40 km when the jetting was sorted out and the carbs were synced.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road

I think it is important to realize that the VTR is almost capable of eating gas like a 180hp machine. You do not get typical twin fuel mileage. That said, nice examples sell (at least here in the states) for quite a bit less than flashier inline fours. You save money on the bike, you get a torque fix but you spend more in fuel.

I think most of the folks here are simply pointing out they are well satisfied with that compromise - you are on the Superhawk forum afterall. All we are saying is that if fuel efficiency is high on your priority list, then there are likely other bikes that will better suit your needs - Possibly the SV like you pointed out.

By the way, when I take it easy I can easily get 44mpg ~5.4L/100K.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Bikes all have strengths and weaknesses. Fuel consumption is always in the weakness category on this bike. Like everyone said- you have to tune, it has huge carbs, it's older technology, etc. I'd say that if it's a big priority on your list and always in the back of your mind you won't ever be fully comfortable on a ride with the VTR. I don't think anyone is trying to push your buttons, they're just pointing out that Litre sportbikes are hardly ever known for good fuel consumption. No one buys an SUV for it's efficiency; we're comparing Suburbans to Escalades right now. You may look into an FZ1 or a 919 Hornet or something to get similar HP/motor with better economy.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
liter bike fuel economy, this is an oxymoron..

with that said one would have to compare the vtr to other liter bikes. so how many liter bikes get better millage and not a mile or two better. i can not recall any liter bikes on average getting better than 45mpgs and that is on a good day, fuel injected or not... i have read all the shoot out and reviews for liter bikes and i can not remember a single on getting better than 40 when ridden aggressive. my round the world Bmw G/S (10gal tank) gets 45 to 50 if i ride under 50mpg on level or smooth roads. riding normal 38-42 and grinden pegs or fully loaded 32-38.. and it has 32mm carbs. our r1150rs get a sollid 42-45 at 70-80mph over that and it goes below. power require fuel. the over all cost of a motorcycle with 40mpg is lower than a car. that is why i have a few bikes, even though smiles are fun... my friend rides a ninja 500 for economy. and is thinking about the cbr250.

riding a liter bike is not about fuel economy it is about fuel planning "when i see a gas station, pull in" or "i hope i make it , this 4.5gal tank is small"

get a liter bike, and buy bp,exon,Mobil stock.

motorcycle news said that the sv1000 average fuel consumption was 41mpgs i get that on the hawk and at a faster pace, 38mpgs that is 12miles less over a tank of gas
Old 01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by r80gsman
motorcycle news said that the sv1000 average fuel consumption was 41mpgs i get that on the hawk and at a faster pace, 38mpgs that is 12miles less over a tank of gas
I found the SV1000 cooked my legs in summer traffic much more than my VTR does. Swapped with a buddy, didn't like the SV1000... now the 650, that I liked; in my opinion it makes a better streetbike than the 1000.

I had to work the gearbox & keep the revs up on the 650 to keep up with the faster bikes (made it way more fun to ride, much more involved).

I'm trying to get my younger brother on a SV650 or a DRZ400SM, always been a big fan of SUMOs.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by uchi
carb tuning is a huge thing on these bikes. i increased my fuel range from full to reserve light by almost 40 km when the jetting was sorted out and the carbs were synced.
Could you detail that or point me somewhere to further read this info? (i'm a mechanical retard but I'm willing to get informed/learn). (thanks)
Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
By the way, when I take it easy I can easily get 44mpg ~5.4L/100K.
You are joking,right? In which situations would the VTR eat 5.4L/100km ?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 AM
SuperSport

[quote=r80gsman;291186]liter bike/ fuel economy, this is an oxymoron..

I like your statement better-GSman, Being that my way of saying the samething was "Blah, Blah, Blah'ed to death...."
The factors ,variables to this question are endless. And irrelevant to WHY we buy a motorcycle.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Bikes all have strengths and weaknesses. Fuel consumption is always in the weakness category on this bike. Like everyone said- you have to tune, it has huge carbs, it's older technology, etc. I'd say that if it's a big priority on your list and always in the back of your mind you won't ever be fully comfortable on a ride with the VTR. I don't think anyone is trying to push your buttons, they're just pointing out that Litre sportbikes are hardly ever known for good fuel consumption. No one buys an SUV for it's efficiency; we're comparing Suburbans to Escalades right now. You may look into an FZ1 or a 919 Hornet or something to get similar HP/motor with better economy.
I understand what you're saying, but I want a V twin. So FZ1 or 900cc hornet our out of the question, especially price wise.
I don't like anything about the FZ1. The hornet is ok,but not in my ballpark.

As I said before, if I had the cash, I'd go for SV1000s, no doubt.

As somebody pointed out, VTR is cheaper, fun, but you spend mooore money on the gas (and I do mean to go places).
Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM
SuperSport

FACTual- You could go for a rides (ON Sunday, as it was put) riding into a head wind - and get less than 10 mpg on any bike..... Simple truth..
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Could you detail that or point me somewhere to further read this info? (i'm a mechanical retard but I'm willing to get informed/learn). (thanks)
The tank is 16 L, and the reserve comes on when you have roughly 3 L left... At 9 L / 100 Km you get 30 Km... At 7 L / 100 Km you get 43 Km ie a difference of 13 Km...

A badly jetted bike will give you roughly 9-10 L / 100 km or more whatever type of riding you do... In uchi's case his bike was jetted so rich that he would have been lucky to hit 15 L / 100 Km... So in his case it made a huge difference... Starting at stock, it will not...

I'd say it's probably reasonable to assume you can increase it by up to 20 Km on a bike with less than perfect jetting, better than that and it was jetted completely wrong to begin with...

You are joking,right? In which situations would the VTR eat 5.4L/100km ?
Highway speed, no wind and steady throttle staying in the same gear keeping revs near constant and you can get it down to even lower numbers, combine that with a bit of cruising around, with deliberately "easy" riding, and you can probably average around there over a trip with a well setup bike...

The thing with huge torque and huge carbs isn't that they need large amounts of fuel all the time... But as soon as you twist the handle to enjoy the torque, you need it... Sit on top of the bike and bore yourself to death and with the right set of cicumstances you can actually get lower consumption than an FI bike with the same set of premises... The FI gives you a lower average with normal riding style, and keeps the peaks down, but it also can't ge beyond it's set parameters, so a human can beat it...

The VTR doesn't have crappy fuel mileage... VTR riders have crappy fuel mileage... Simple as that... And most of them are somewhat unwilling to change that fact...

Last edited by Tweety; 01-18-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I understand what you're saying, but I want a V twin. So FZ1 or 900cc hornet our out of the question, especially price wise.
I don't like anything about the FZ1. The hornet is ok,but not in my ballpark.

As I said before, if I had the cash, I'd go for SV1000s, no doubt.

As somebody pointed out, VTR is cheaper, fun, but you spend mooore money on the gas (and I do mean to go places).
I gotta have me some V-Twin too! I highly doubt you will spend the difference between an SV and VTR in cash at the pump (although SV's aren't super expensive in the states) If it interests you, start applying little petrol saving techniques and tuning and see how good of fuel consumption you can make this thing. The internet seemed to have a lot of suggestions, some more bogus than others. Plenty of people on here to help you tune...

And if you see a good deal on an SV in them meantime take a test ride (as someone said before, they feel WAY different) and buy it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I FOUND YOUR SOLUTION

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...sv-1000-a.html

same town I bought my car in, hey!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I gotta have me some V-Twin too! I highly doubt you will spend the difference between an SV and VTR in cash at the pump (although SV's aren't super expensive in the states) If it interests you, start applying little petrol saving techniques and tuning and see how good of fuel consumption you can make this thing. The internet seemed to have a lot of suggestions, some more bogus than others. Plenty of people on here to help you tune...

And if you see a good deal on an SV in them meantime take a test ride (as someone said before, they feel WAY different) and buy it.
You doubt I will spend the difference between the SV and VTR in cash at the pump?

Here it goes:

I had the 2000 VTR in oct 2010. I've ridden it about two months, almost daily, putting up about 5000-5500 km. It was ridden 90 % in town (due to certain factors).

If you average a 9-10 L /100km fuel consumption that will get you from 495 to 550 liters. At the price of 1euro per liter, that would be 500-550 Euro spent in two months.

I can get a VTR for about 1500 eur (97-00 model).Let's say 2000 euro tops.

I can get an SV for just less than 3000 eur.

If i've spent 500 eur on gas in two months of almost daily riding, how much you reckon i'll spend in 1-2 years? especially if I wanna travel a bit?

So you see why i worry about money on fuel?

I don't wanna become a granny with the throttle,but neither rob a bank to re-fuel everytime..
Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
insider:

And do you know what is real consumption of SV 1000? What I´ve heard it´s between 8-9, and VTR with good jetting is typically 7-9, depends where you ride and how.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VTR fuel consumption