General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR Engine temp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Squid

hoffy996 is on a distinguished road
VTR Engine temp?

The other day I was out in late afternoon highway rush hour traffic. It was about 87 degrees outside and my 03 was running about 220 degrees. My current set up is #48 idle mixture, stock needles with 4 shim washers, and Two Bros racing slip-ons with stock airfilter. It ran like crap right after I stopped to fill the tank. Should the bike run this hot in hot weather and perform lousy compared to when it is in the 50-70 dergree weather? Is the bike running too lean? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Hey, I was gonna ask the same thing but you beat me to it. Mine is normally in the 200-210 range, and runs fine, no stalling, but was wondering what is "normal".
Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
Sounds about right to me. It's been a while since its been that warm up here but mine runs at about 200 in 70 degree weather. And cooler air definitely combusts better.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
they definitely run hotter as the outside temp increases... I wired my fan so I could turn it on manually when needed like stop and go traffic and such and use water wetter - seems to keep it under 195 most times.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Well i run Water with Waterr Wetter, it was about 80 here this weekend and on the older VTR's there is only an Analog gauge. The fan kicks on when the needle just passes mid-way.

Mine never got above 1/4 of the total guage.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
jetting

Originally Posted by hoffy996
The other day I was out in late afternoon highway rush hour traffic. It was about 87 degrees outside and my 03 was running about 220 degrees. My current set up is #48 idle mixture, stock needles with 4 shim washers, and Two Bros racing slip-ons with stock airfilter. It ran like crap right after I stopped to fill the tank. Should the bike run this hot in hot weather and perform lousy compared to when it is in the 50-70 dergree weather? Is the bike running too lean? Thanks in advance!
I would drop down to the 45 pilots, bump the mains to a 178F/180R, check that your 4 shims add about .040" height, balance the carbs and run your fuel screw out about 2 turns. I run WaterWetter with Dexcool with 50% distilled H2O in my 98 VTR and the fan comes a bit past halfway. Make sure your cooling system is flushed well (there is a bleed bolt in the front cylinder below the header), drain the recovery bottle and water heated carbs too (when you rejet) by removing the carb coolant lines, and clean your radiator cap well of scum along with bugs and rocks out of all 3 rads, comb the fins, etc.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Squid

hoffy996 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies!

Have any of you heard of engine ice......? The previous owner jetted the bike with dyno jets 180f/185r which were the manufacturers recommendation. I am mechanically inclined, but I have never torn a carb apart is it complicated? I do have the factory serv manual and it seems easy enough.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 PM
SuperBike

do a search... it is a PITA the first 5 times...

Originally Posted by hoffy996
Have any of you heard of engine ice......? The previous owner jetted the bike with dyno jets 180f/185r which were the manufacturers recommendation. I am mechanically inclined, but I have never torn a carb apart is it complicated? I do have the factory serv manual and it seems easy enough.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
I've done some google-fu on the forum back when I was concerned about my temp. 220 is when the electric fan on the right kicks on, and that's about normal operating temperature. The only VTR owners that are concerned with the temp are the ones with the digital gauge. :P

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ht=temperature
Old 05-15-2007, 06:00 AM
SuperBike

more than 1 fan?

Originally Posted by midijunky
I've done some google-fu on the forum back when I was concerned about my temp. 220 is when the electric fan on the right kicks on, and that's about normal operating temperature. The only VTR owners that are concerned with the temp are the ones with the digital gauge. :P

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ht=temperature
Do you have a fan anywhere else?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Good point about the digital gauge. I have wondered that myself.
Both my Superhawk and (even more so) my CBR 1000F will see the temp gauge rise much more quickly riding slow in warmer/hot weather.
Both have the analog gauge, so I just watch it go up and down.

Both have done so for as long as I have owned them. Neither has ever displayed any ill effects. Temps always drop when the fan comes on, or I pick up speed.

I keep watch on the fluids, keep them fresh and clean. Beyond that, I figure if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Do you have a fan anywhere else?
Maybe!