SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Two diffene kind of cct.... why (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/two-diffene-kind-cct-why-23838/)

Tweety 11-21-2010 03:33 AM

A shop that doesn't manage a simple CCT swap (something I can do in about 2 hours without blowing shit up...) and you let them get near the SH's carbs with a carb kit? Obviously some people don't learn from their mistakes... Goooood luck and enjoy the results is all I'm going to say... 9 shop guys out of 10 will screw that up royally, based on the fact that they are used to working on IL4's and injected bikes, not carb'ed big twins...

One advice though to help you out in the next few months fixing stuff... Make sure to tell them in advance that any and all parts that get taken out and replaced by that carb kit goes in a zip-lock bag with you home... Saves you having to buy the parts to put back in...

cel2620xl 11-21-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 287174)
A shop that doesn't manage a simple CCT swap (something I can do in about 2 hours without blowing shit up...) and you let them get near the SH's carbs with a carb kit? Obviously some people don't learn from their mistakes... Goooood luck and enjoy the results is all I'm going to say... 9 shop guys out of 10 will screw that up royally, based on the fact that they are used to working on IL4's and injected bikes, not carb'ed big twins...

One advice though to help you out in the next few months fixing stuff... Make sure to tell them in advance that any and all parts that get taken out and replaced by that carb kit goes in a zip-lock bag with you home... Saves you having to buy the parts to put back in...

yeah i know, but people do mess up in life that how they learn from there mistake. N I decide to give them a second chance. also your right gear head that work on my SH is use to inline and injected bike's. i just wish he did't have to learn from my bike. furthermore the owner has been cool with me about about the mess up. anyway check out there web site http://www.amrsuperbikes.com/#

divingindaytona 11-21-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 287174)
A shop that doesn't manage a simple CCT swap (something I can do in about 2 hours without blowing shit up...) and you let them get near the SH's carbs with a carb kit?

After this experience I am with Tweety. Sounds like you should not trust the mechanic and shop any farther than you can throw him.

Tweety 11-21-2010 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by cel2620xl (Post 287190)
yeah i know, but people do mess up in life that how they learn from there mistake. N I decide to give them a second chance. also your right gear head that work on my SH is use to inline and injected bike's. i just wish he did't have to learn from my bike. furthermore the owner has been cool with me about about the mess up. anyway check out there web site http://www.amrsuperbikes.com/#

Well... OK, granted... People mess up, and it's how hey handle things afterwards that matter, so depending on that I can see why you give them a second chance... (hopefully you are also getting discounts on the add-on work)

But if yo do that, save yourself some grief... There is a reason for my advice above to get the stock jets back with you in a zip-lock, so you have the option to go back later... Mainly being if the jeting is messed up, having the option to start at stock makes things easier...

A second bit of advice... And here YOU can learn from the other misshap... The tech doing your CCT's wasn't aware that the VTR could have catastrophic failure while doing that, so he did it according to his experience on IL4's (which doesn't skip a chain when you remove the CCT's)... Had he been told, he might have avoided the misshap...

Now, you get the benefit of our collected experience on the forum... So I'd say it's your responsibility to inform the tech that tuning the VTR i done completely opposite to how he deals with IL4's... And the intelligent option is to do that before he tears into i, and spend your and his time and money...

So, go read up on the forum... Print out some of the basic setup ideas that has been posted by various experienced members and bring that with you and explain that you do not want him to tune for top end power, but for a wide flat powerband in the middle...

If you don't he will likely end up doing the same as before, going on his past experience with best intentions, and ending up with a mess... Which by my count will then be as much your fault as his...

cel2620xl 11-21-2010 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 287209)
Well... OK, granted... People mess up, and it's how hey handle things afterwards that matter, so depending on that I can see why you give them a second chance... (hopefully you are also getting discounts on the add-on work)

But if yo do that, save yourself some grief... There is a reason for my advice above to get the stock jets back with you in a zip-lock, so you have the option to go back later... Mainly being if the jeting is messed up, having the option to start at stock makes things easier...

A second bit of advice... And here YOU can learn from the other misshap... The tech doing your CCT's wasn't aware that the VTR could have catastrophic failure while doing that, so he did it according to his experience on IL4's (which doesn't skip a chain when you remove the CCT's)... Had he been told, he might have avoided the misshap...

Now, you get the benefit of our collected experience on the forum... So I'd say it's your responsibility to inform the tech that tuning the VTR i done completely opposite to how he deals with IL4's... And the intelligent option is to do that before he tears into i, and spend your and his time and money...

So, go read up on the forum... Print out some of the basic setup ideas that has been posted by various experienced members and bring that with you and explain that you do not want him to tune for top end power, but for a wide flat powerband in the middle...

If you don't he will likely end up doing the same as before, going on his past experience with best intentions, and ending up with a mess... Which by my count will then be as much your fault as his...

Thank you for the advice and yes the work is being done free of charge. All i have to do is buy the parts. In regards to the jet kit i kept the old stock parts just in case. Can you please explain (why would't i want to go top end rather than wide flat power band in the middle) i don't know much when it come to dyno. I was just told that if i were to get an exhaust and air filter i would need to get my bike jetted

Tweety 11-21-2010 02:57 PM

Because if you tune for top end like you would on a IL4 it will basically behave like one... Ie no fun to ride... And seeing as it isn't one, the fuel mileage goes through the floor and while you might on paper have +10 hp the net result is less usable power...

I'm not saying you do not want top end period... But if you tune like an IL4 on a twin the result is crap... If you tune to where you get a flatter, wider powerband with a smaller peak towards the top of the revband, ie this is compared to the IL4's that have a thin middle and a big towering peak at full song...

Then you get a fun to ride bike with decent fuel mileage... And the net result is much more useable power... Might not look as impressive on the dynosheet if the highest hp figure goes up 2-3 hp at that specific RPM... But instead of +10hp at a narrow rpm band with losses or the same over the rest, you might get + 2-3 all over... Not impressive in numbers, but fun on the road...

nath981 11-21-2010 06:31 PM

Interesting article in Dec. Sport Rider entitled "the sign of the skorpion" relative to exhaust systems and how they affect mid-range vs top end.

As far as the aberrant shop issue, I agree with Tweety. What happens after the screw-up is really what tells you who they are and consequently whether or not you should give them another shot. Anyone can make a mistake, true enough, but when you do you need to take full responsibility for that mistake.

That means first, acknowledge the mistake and apologize, second fix it free. Then and only then do you know they are trying to do the right thing, and therefore warrant another opportunity to do it right. Treating you coolly, you buy the parts, no freakin way!

Tweety 11-22-2010 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 287242)
Treating you coolly, you buy the parts, no freakin way!

Nath, I think that was in reference to the extra stuff, ie new exhaust, airfilter and jet kit... Which seems fair...

cel2620xl 11-22-2010 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 287250)
Nath, I think that was in reference to the extra stuff, ie new exhaust, airfilter and jet kit... Which seems fair...

yea he fixing the bike for free

nath981 11-22-2010 04:31 AM

As long as it's okay with you, but when I think about 3 months in the shop, months waiting for parts, I get irrational. 3 summer months where I live = 1 year w/o riding, and that's enough to piss the pope off.:flamethrower:

cel2620xl 12-11-2010 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After four an a half month of bent val and redoing the cylinders SH, she finally back up an running. With know issue i can final go riding tonight. plus having a Djkit, Rt1 high, Bmc and Cct manual done. i was able to get a dyno in please tell me what yall think. Also if you had your sh dyno i would like to comp air to your

evines 12-11-2010 04:50 PM

I think that looks about right. Glad to hear that you back up and running.