SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Two diffene kind of cct.... why (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/two-diffene-kind-cct-why-23838/)

redmanmbz 10-03-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 282591)
why with the knowledge base that we have? why? Some days I wonder if I am getting more intolerant or the people are getting dumber.

+1 Dumber or Lazy

bjorn toulouse 10-03-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 282537)
If the mechanic is an idiot and tried to swap the CCTs without putting the cylinder that he is working on to TDC before removing the old one then yes it could have skipped or jumped timing.

It is entirely possible that the Tech had the cylinder on TDC, but was 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation away from TDC compression. (A 4 stroke engine will be at TDC twice during the complete 4 stroke cycle, which requires 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation to complete.)
This would have put the engine in the "valve overlap" position where both the intake and exhaust valves are open and the cam chain is under tension from the valve springs.

At TDC compression both intake and exhaust valves in the cylinder are closed and the only tension on the cam chain is from the CCT.
At TDC compression there is no way the engine is going to jump time when the CCT is removed.

Rex

Tweety 10-03-2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse (Post 282999)
It is entirely possible that the Tech had the cylinder on TDC, but was 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation away from TDC compression. (A 4 stroke engine will be at TDC twice during the complete 4 stroke cycle, which requires 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation to complete.)
This would have put the engine in the "valve overlap" position where both the intake and exhaust valves are open and the cam chain is under tension from the valve springs.

At TDC compression both intake and exhaust valves in the cylinder are closed and the only tension on the cam chain is from the CCT.
At TDC compression there is no way the engine is going to jump time when the CCT is removed.

Rex

And a shop mechanic that doesn't check what TDC he is at, or misreads it, is someone I'd classify as an idiot... He's taking money for work, then cuts the time by not lifting a camcover to verify where he is at...

bjorn toulouse 10-03-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 283001)
And a shop mechanic that doesn't check what TDC he is at, or misreads it, is someone I'd classify as an idiot... He's taking money for work, then cuts the time by not lifting a camcover to verify where he is at...

Please don't misinterpret my post as defending the actions of the Tech, as I think he (or the shop he works at) is most definitely "on the hook" for the repair of the OP's bike.

The point I'm trying to make is that the cylinder having a CCT replaced must be at TDC compression.

IMO, removing the cam cover is an unnecessary step. Removing the spark plug will let you hear the air being pushed out of the cylinder as the piston rises towards TDC on the compression stroke.

Rex

Tweety 10-03-2010 08:19 AM

No worries, no misinterpretations here... ;)

Actually there is a more reliable and quick way on the VTR... One of the cam cover bolts makes a nice peephole for looking at the cams... One bolt and a flashlight...

cel2620xl 10-08-2010 05:21 AM

After week an half with out having my bike and the shop mess up rear clinder. They just realize that the bike is not genarateing certain Amount of pis. So now there telling they have to do the front clinder......:( can someone give me idea what the hell he talk about

nothing 10-08-2010 05:36 AM

they probably did a compression test and you probably mean "psi" because when a compression test is performed the engine cranks and air builds up in the cylinder to a certain psi. not generating enough means that the cylinder is leaking because probably in this case there are likely more bent valves in the front cylinder.
the guy eff'ed up some more.

nath981 10-08-2010 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cel2620xl (Post 283584)
After week an half with out having my bike and the shop mess up rear clinder. They just realize that the bike is not genarateing certain Amount of pis. So now there telling they have to do the front clinder......:( can someone give me idea what the hell he talk about

Get a price and if okay just let them fix the dam thing now because who knows who fucked up what. The only other option is to pull it out and pay them and then find someone else, and that could be difficult, cost more time and money for who knows to what end.

nothing 10-08-2010 07:05 AM

^PAY THEM???????? are you crazy, the shop messed up he should pay NOTHINGGGGG
<<<<NOTHING603

redmanmbz 10-08-2010 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by nothing (Post 283593)
^PAY THEM???????? are you crazy, the shop messed up he should pay NOTHINGGGGG
<<<<NOTHING603

I agree, the shop mech created the problem. Just sell them the bike and start over.

divingindaytona 10-08-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by nothing (Post 283586)
not generating enough means that the cylinder is leaking because probably in this case there are likely more bent valves in the front cylinder.
the guy eff'ed up some more.

Agreed!
Given the caliber of the mechanic I wouldn't doubt that the front is messed up as a result of him 'working on" you bike.

NooB 10-08-2010 09:06 AM

There's some really good discussion here. 7moore7's description of his mom driving is a pretty good analogy to a inexperienced person trying to work on a bike. It's very much a mystery when you don't have any background of working on things, however the bike specific shop manual has done all the work for you already.

I always tell people that if you can cook something from reading a recipe then you should be able to fix something by reading a shop manual. The only thing you really need to learn after that are the finer details like feeling when threads start stretching/striping.

cel2620xl, don't go back to that shop again ok? Best of luck man, I hope you learn something useful from this.

cel2620xl 10-08-2010 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 283588)
Get a price and if okay just let them fix the dam thing now because who knows who fucked up what. The only other option is to pull it out and pay them and then find someone else, and that could be difficult, cost more time and money for who knows to what end.

im not pay them a dam thing . are you NUTs? They fuck up, they fix. plain in simple......

nath981 10-08-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by cel2620xl (Post 283615)
im not pay them a dam thing . are you NUTs? They fuck up, they fix. plain in simple......

I am a little crazy and that's probably my best attribute.haha, But plain and simple remains to be seen. For your sake, I hope it is.

1. we only heard your side of this fiasco. I would like to here theirs also.
2. did you ever hear of a mechanic's lean?
3. they have forever to litigate this while your bike is locked in their shop and you may wind up paying for an attorney plus the bill.
4. do you really want someone who fucked up your bike doing anything mechanical to it?
5. do you want someone who you have an adversarial relationship with working on your bike and then billing you for that work?

Hopefully, you won't have to deal with any of these nightmares.

cel2620xl 10-08-2010 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 283679)
I am a little crazy and that's probably my best attribute.haha, But plain and simple remains to be seen. For your sake, I hope it is.

1. we only heard your side of this fiasco. I would like to here theirs also.
2. did you ever hear of a mechanic's lean?
3. they have forever to litigate this while your bike is locked in their shop and you may wind up paying for an attorney plus the bill.
4. do you really want someone who fucked up your bike doing anything mechanical to it?
5. do you want someone who you have an adversarial relationship with working on your bike and then billing you for that work?

Hopefully, you won't have to deal with any of these nightmares.

i see you point, hopeful it won't come down to that!

Tweety 10-09-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by cel2620xl (Post 283584)

I really don't like to say "I told you soo!" but at this point it's actually the only fitting thing to say...

They did just what I expected them to do, and what I was trying to have you prevent when talking to them directly after the first problem...

Ie they started tearing into the bike, replacing the little things, not checking all the expensive parts, just going "fingers crossed" it migth work...

End result... They are now racking up a very impressive and long list of things that needs replacing... They are using new parts (they are a shop after all) and spending time... The total for this will be much higher than opening up both top ends, checking and replacing the expensive parts with good used parts and then doing the smaller stuff... Like a lot of people suggested... Like me and others suggested you to tell the mechanic...

Now I have pretty dim view of how a mechanics lien works, since I'm not US based, but... The cost of the repair + parts will come close to or over what an insurance agent would deem a "total"... It will probably also come close to the cost of the bike...

If the shop is owned by a stand up guy who honestly thinks in the way we all hope he does, he will say "Our fault, we will fix it, never mind the cost"... If not, at the point where you start adding up the cost, he will start squeasing you...

So a question, did you talk to him like we suggested? What options where discussed and what was agreed upon? Did you get it in writing? Was it him that suggested going for the throw parts at it instead of replacing the engine route?

All of that will matter in the end... Trust me... And if my understanding of your legal system isn't completely wrong, the written part might be even more important...

Bluesuperhawk83 10-09-2010 07:04 AM

Damn the mechanical skills, lets start with this guy's grammar problem.

cel2620xl 10-09-2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesuperhawk83 (Post 283724)

so what about it ? what, you cAN'T READ IT? I DON'T NEED YOU CONCERN FOR My GRAMMAR.

Bluesuperhawk83 10-09-2010 09:59 AM

It's not that it can't be read, Its just annoying trying to figure out what information you attempted to get across. ;)

Tweety 10-09-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesuperhawk83 (Post 283740)
It's not that it can't be read, Its just annoying trying to figure out what information you attempted to get across. ;)

Well, considering you just managed two red marks from the teacher in that post alone, and a few more in the first, I'd say start with your own grammar before you go pointing fingers... But that's just a friendly suggestion...

nath981 10-09-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesuperhawk83 (Post 283724)

Lighten up.

Maybe he is bi-lingual with english being his second language. Since 98% of Americans speak english only, and a lot of them not to well, this guy could be 1 giant step ahead of most of us.

May have a learning disability or other handicapping condition that compromises his communication skills.

Maybe just a dumb ass who is too lazy to edit his posts

Maybe all, some, or none of the above, but who knows.

hondavtr1000sp2 10-10-2010 01:01 AM

:thumbsup: to Tweety & Nath981.....

Scooberhawk 10-10-2010 02:08 AM

Perhaps cel2620xl will tell us his background, so we know how to put his grammar in perspective.

It's not like he came on and immediately got ripped for his poor grammar. Forty or fifty-something posts were in the interest of straightening out his bike problem. I don't think it's a big deal to tack on a "work on your grammar" message at the end. The degree of tact in delivering that message is debatable, but the request was reasonable. Don't you think?

Tweety 10-10-2010 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Scooberhawk (Post 283818)
Perhaps cel2620xl will tell us his background, so we know how to put his grammar in perspective.

It's not like he came on and immediately got ripped for his poor grammar. Forty or fifty-something posts were in the interest of straightening out his bike problem. I don't think it's a big deal to tack on a "work on your grammar" message at the end. The degree of tact in delivering that message is debatable, but the request was reasonable. Don't you think?

The thing is, me and nath are kind of on the top ten list of tactless around here... And when we start complaining... Well... figure it out... ;)

cel2620xl 10-10-2010 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Scooberhawk (Post 283818)

"Really people" Haitian/America born in the state's but was raise Haiti for my first seven years.

Wicky 10-22-2010 12:20 PM

bump

Any resolution to this sorry saga?

cel2620xl 10-23-2010 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 284948)
bump

Any resolution to this sorry saga?

It been over a month and they finally finish redoing the heads. However they don't wanna reuse the old gaskets so the shop order new one. there suppler is out of stock. so were waiting on the back order. i have no idea when there comin in ....

RWhisen 11-20-2010 05:19 PM

Updates?

cel2620xl 11-21-2010 03:06 AM

after two an half months The gasket finally came in on Friday afternoon. The SH is currently being put back together. im going to see how that goes on Monday. also can sum one tell me how much Hp dose my bike has (stock)? im have the shop Dyno it on Tuesday just to make sure the bike is in working order.

cel2620xl 11-21-2010 03:20 AM

also i add a few items to SH BMC street filter, stage one Dyno kit , JR RT1 high mount. i have shark skin low body and rear hugger that it got from ebay. i want to repaint Sh.