General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Triumph Thruxton

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Back Marker

steener is on a distinguished road
Triumph Thruxton

Looking at selling the hawk and picking up a thruxton. Anyone ridden one and what were your thoughts/comments?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i have not ridden one, but sure as hell would jump at a chance to!

i really like the thruxton's looks, and dare i say, this is embarassing, it's image. i like the red color.

i would hope the standard riding position would be comfy. the bars are adjustable. i have a hawk and a 1098, so i might have concerns about power with the thruxton. that being said the thruxton is not about power.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
they look cool. they are much simpler and lower performance than even the SH. A friend of mine rented one for a day when in florida. Has a oilhead bmw twin and has ridden my SH plenty. Thought he wanted to switch. the day ride changed that. but depends on what you're after. he said it was well made just a different riding style for a primary bike
than what he was after
Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 AM
gaz
Squid

gaz is on a distinguished road
Test rode one 4-5 years ago I think. I had a 599 hornet at the time. Perfect riding position, great overall feeling. Not much power. Didn't push it in corners - not the point obviously. Very very vibey when revved close to redline. Strange lag when twisting the throttle like it had bad fuel injection or something although it was carburrated.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Back Marker

steener is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the comments. I'm getting older and riding the hawk more and more like somebody's mom would. Really like the looks of the Thruxton.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Squid

LoPing78 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steener
Thanks for the comments. I'm getting older and riding the hawk more and more like somebody's mom would. Really like the looks of the Thruxton.
If you want style, comfort, and power I'd go with the Triumph Sprint GT.. I think you'll be left wanting "something" going from SH to Thruxton.. Doubt that would be the case if you got on a triple.. imho...
Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
I've been on the Thruxton and found it much more uncomfortable than the SH. You lean way forward with your buns pretty high behind you. Having said that, you can check Triumph's web site to see if they do a demo day anywhere near you. A truck load of new bikes shows up at a dealer and we get to ride them for free! What a country! Around here, it's May 6th. and 7th. at Pete's in Baltimore.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steener
there are a lot of neat retro type bikes out there now. kawi re-released its old bonneville look alike, this time an 800 - the 650 version was supposed to be a really fun old style twin. ducati also has one but some of theirs had pretty extreme cafe riding posiitons also.