General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Track Day Newb

Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Track Day Newb

Going to my first track day next week in Carolina motorsports park with STT. I tried to get some other guys to go along but looks like its going to be just me. So being that it's my first track day, I'm looking for some pointers.

I did talk to another friend that rides track days a lot and he told me I'm gonna scare the crap out of the novice group I'm in (I disagree). I just didn't want to start in intermediate for my first time out. He is also going to loan me his tire warmers and suggested bringing a canopy, some carpet to work on, a chair, some fresh fuel, and good tools.

I am already running the right coolant. He mentioned they were strict about that.

Anything else this newb needs to know that would help?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jaypo
Going to my first track day next week in Carolina motorsports park with STT. I tried to get some other guys to go along but looks like its going to be just me. So being that it's my first track day, I'm looking for some pointers.

I did talk to another friend that rides track days a lot and he told me I'm gonna scare the crap out of the novice group I'm in (I disagree). I just didn't want to start in intermediate for my first time out. He is also going to loan me his tire warmers and suggested bringing a canopy, some carpet to work on, a chair, some fresh fuel, and good tools.

I am already running the right coolant. He mentioned they were strict about that.

Anything else this newb needs to know that would help?

Good STT TDay overview
Track Day Overviews for Sportbike Track Time

TDay regulations
Track Day Regulations for Sportbike Track Time

If in "N" you don't have to change the coolant.

Best advice is to have everything ready before you arrive. Set Air pressure few pounds high so you can just let a little out when you get there (start at 30lbs cold). don't cook the tires and still keep it saine even with warmers first few laps. If you are not going to the garage the night before; arrive before the garage gates open the day of event. Get in garage early, unload, get your area setup. Listen for announced tech open time and get to tech early in case you have to fix something you didn't anticipate. You do not have to take your gear to tech. You will have to register when they open it (before tech time starts) and then go to tech. It's really smooth with STT, they go a good morning system.

"N" has different groups within Novice. If you are truely a good experienced rider on street you will easily move up to faster "N" groups for later sessions unless you start there of course. First 2-3 STT morning sessions will be paced (briskly ) and then you should get 3 -4 four afternoon sessions pretty much open with restrictions set forth.

Relax, be prepared and have fun. Get in the front of your group, then it is you and Rider Coach instead of some other rider in front of you.

well enough on that.....

Last edited by Thumper; 11-11-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
if its your first track day then you should absolutely start in novice. fast on the street has no correlation to being fast on the track. if it turns out you are skilled enough than the coaches will see you and bump you up. work on fundamentals, be smooth, go slow to go fast. i would not bother with the tire warmers. are you using race tires? if not, street tires heat up very quickly and youll be good to go in a lap or two. and hate to burst your bubble but you probably arent fast enough to keep the heat in the tires. in that case you start out with nice warm sticky rubber, then as you warm up your tires cool down, bad things happen.

just have fun! the track is an awesome place to be. its also a huge money pit, but im sure youll find that out soon enough. bring lots of water and snacks, also isnt a bad idea to start hydrating the day before. it really is a lot work.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Back Marker

Hey no bubble burst man! Good stuff keep it comin.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I always do track days before my race weekends. If you can get there the night before and camp at the track do it, it takes alot of small frustrations out of the deal.

Focus on the track and get the rythm of the turns and slowly increase your pace. DONT stare at the other squids around you.

MAKE A CHECKLIST. Pressure guage, water, chairs, canopy, bike keys (really), gear, etc,
Try to meet and pit close to the instructors/leaders. They usually want to help and will keep you alert of track schedules.

Bring food and water, (full cooler/ice)dont assume you can "run out" and get some. Bring gas. the bike goes faster with that stuff.

Have fun, its the only reason you are doing this (hopefully).

I would bring the tire warmers but be sure on power hook ups at the track(call the track directly). I bring a box of extensions and splitters. If you have an adapter to hook to the big RV 30amp outlet bring it (or buy at walmart).

Dont forget the checklist.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Back Marker

Thanks for the info. Definitely looking forward to it, riding my pace, learning a ton, and having a good time. Checklist has been started...
Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Wish I had known. I would have gone with you. How was the experience?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Back Marker

Hey man you still got time. Check STT. Track day is this weekend on the 19th. I'll be there all Saturday and have to head back to TN on Sunday. If you end up going PM me. I am staying up near Fort Mills and will drive down to the track that morning.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Find someone to go with you, stuff happens. Driving a couple of hundred miles home with a broken collar bone is no fun.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
Give me an e-mail address and I'll send you a comprehensive "Trackday Checklist" as a .pdf and as a word doc so you can edit it so suit your needs.

I've done CMP 3 times but it's an 825 mile pull and my VTR is sleeping for the winter.

Have fun and build into the day at a relaxed pace. You have nothing to prove to anyone.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Back Marker

Thanks YTK. PM sent. Any tips about CMP I should know?

I definitely tried to get several buddies to go and they all backed out. I didn't like the idea of doing a track day without someone else there, but I have family less than an hour away if needed. Gotta backup plan if I step it out too far.

Went over the bike last night adjusting and securing. I'm out of gaffers tape for all the glass but should get her taped up tomorrow. Do they allow GoPro/cameras on the track? Seems I've seen videos of guys doing it, but not sure.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You can gopro but be sure to tether it with a length of safety wire. If you use the adhesive mounts clean with carb cleaner before applying. Be sure to bring TONS of duct tape and zip ties.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Be sure to bring TONS of duct tape and zip ties.
For gagging and hog tying all the other novice riders in a closet so I have the track to myself?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
SuperSport

Went over the bike last night adjusting and securing. I'm out of gaffers tape for all the glass but should get her taped up tomorrow. Do they allow GoPro/cameras on the track? Seems I've seen videos of guys doing it, but not sure.
painters tape works best for lights, and make sure to unplug or pull the fuse so you dont melt the tape and have to spend an hour trying to peel it off. or even better pull the healdlight out and tape a piece of cardboard in its place (headlights are expensive).

cameras are ok, just make sure they are secure.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Back Marker

Ok first track day is in the books and what a crazy day. They warned us the track was green and it sure was. There were about a dozen wrecks, one bike dumped oil on the track, and one guy required a helicopter ride to the hospital. Everyone said it was the most amount of accidents on a track day they have ever seen. But, I kept the shiny side up and left with a grin from ear to ear.

The instructors were great and learned some great tips for going faster and smoother. All the tips you guys gave helped and I met some great folks. Definitely addicting!! Might need to book a trip to Tally next. The hawk without a doubt did fantastic.

Video on the way!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM
SuperSport

might as well just start sending you paychecks straight to the track orgs
Old 11-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Back Marker

STT-CMP-FULL

Here is some video. Havent really edited much except for the warm up lap. This session I found an instructor to chase.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Back Marker

Finally just got home and had some time to think about any other tips I would recommend or highlight the ones above for someone else doing a track day for the first time.

- Get the canopy.
I debated on buying one but figured I'd use it for other stuff. It did come in handy and even being cold, not having the sun on my bald head the whole time was nice.
- Tire warmers do help.
This track hadn't been driven on, seen a bunch of rain, and it was 26 deg that morning. The very first lap about 5 people went down. My tires felt really planted and never had any slips except one corner which bit several people that day (sand). Just had to remember to go easy on the exit throttle. I borrowed the warmers but if I do it again I'll buy a set off ebay. Worth the $200 IMO (ebay MJ moto version for $161).
- Bring tools, lots of painters tape, and a piece of rug (or carpet)
Even after taping what I thought was good enough, I had to retape the rear light, go over the license plate bolts, and the third eye in the front. I also needed the tools to recheck some stuff and make sure all was good between sessions. I took a movers blanket with me and it was good to sit on while working on the bike instead of the ground (or take a nap on).
- Bring food, snacks, drinks.
I brought a lot and it was well worth it. Beef jerky, peanuts, water, apples, cookies, and sandwich. Not much time to run out and get anything. I did wish I had a 6 pack after the day was over, but I'm sipping on Jim Beam now, so all is good.
- Bring Advil
It is a lot of work and wished I had brought some advil to ward off the "old man" pains. May be supplemented by 6 pack...see above.
- Soak up the info.
Some of it was repeat but I learned about hand positioning and it made a world of difference for me in the corners. I felt like my wrist was bound up when off the bike, but learning to "handshake" the grips helped a lot. I also heard the phrase "Body, Brake, Shift, Look, Lean, Believe". Still working that one out in my head and also being on a v-twin I still engine brake a lot. But just ask a bunch of questions and get a lot of instructor time. Get your money's worth.

Now all I can think about is how to get another track day, put on some track plastics, and keeping doing this. One of the best times I've had on my hawk and riding in general.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
looks like you had a blast man! very jealous, hopefully i can get some track time in this next season
Old 11-21-2011, 07:02 PM
SuperSport

STT-CMP-FULL

Here is some video. Havent really edited much except for the warm up lap. This session I found an instructor to chase.
looking very good for your first time! try to use more of the track, especially at the apex. in a few turns it looked like you were a good couple feet away from the curb. also try to pick a line a stick with it, saw you bob up and down a couple times mid corner. your line from the apex to the exit should be the same every time, the only part of the corner that should change is your entry. unless of course your setting up a pass on the exit. throttle control, no coasting. if your off the gas and not on the brakes, then your not in control of the bike, and being in control is a good thing. this will also just kill your lap times as you get faster. one more thing, try to be a little smoother on the downshifts. the rear will easily step out on the superhawk if your not fethering the clutch enough. had it happen to me and on another hawk right in front of me.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Back Marker

Good points! I've watched that video a hundred times now and can see my line is all over the place along with gear choice. Once thing I couldn't get used to was passing. No inside passing, others drifting wide, and then they hammer it in the straights. Just had a problem setting up the passes. You're the second person to tell me gas or brake, no coasting. Gonna take some time to grow them cajones... hehe
Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Glad to see u started the new addiction. You should come down to jennings gp in Florida. I'll be heading there a lot this year. Mabey road Atlanta and barber on my list too. All those are great things to have at a trackday, but my biggest thing to make sure I did when I first get there in the morning is to make friends and be very out going to the people in the pits next to me. You never know when you need a hand with something.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Back Marker

Found this vid of a guy at CMP in advance class on an R6. About drops it halfway through (missed gear) but his line makes way more sense than how I read the corner. He dumps in early where I was turning in way late. I really liked that track and the layout. Gonna have to ride it again.

R6 @ CMP

I've heard good things about Jennings and Barber. Just gotta figure out how to pay for this new found addiction..
Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 AM
SuperBike

that was on 14 and you really do need to late apex on that one or you'll be on the rumble strips and into the sand on exit. At least that's what I was always told by the instructors. it always worked well for me.

once you get comfortable with your skills, they have club track days at CMP which they allow outsiders to run. You have to be at least intermediate level to join them as they don't want the risk of newbs clogging up the track with them. At first I was concerned with not being a back marker for them, but I found I was pretty much alone on the track all day long. there were only 12 riders in total and I wasn't passed much at all. There's a few of us in the larger area on hawks. maybe we can plan a hawk invasion with them sometime next year.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Back Marker

Old Yeller that sounds like a good idea. CMP is convenient for me as I can drop the kids off at Grandma's up in Fort Mills and then the wife gets a weekend to herself (winning).

Sounds like a 2012 hawk invasion of CMP.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
SuperBike

hey....fwiw....I remembered I had this crappy vid from my last time there. date/time on the vid is wrong. it was from this past July. Note the turnin point on 14 past the last marker. that's how the STT guys suggested doing it and I've followed that since.

CMP session 2a short.avi - YouTube

Here's another that I got passed on by the faster guys. Note in one of the passes that a guy in red dumps under me on 14. tells me that late apex isn't the only fast way around since he's obviously very advanced from his speed.

CMP session 3a short.avi - YouTube
Old 05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Bump - reviving an old thread cause this info helped me a lot at my first trackday Good info for first timers, particularly if you're going solo.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
As necro-threads go, it's not really all that old... Still, good stuff here about trackday planning. The one thing I would add to SmokinJoe's checklist is to pee. It seems like a no-brainer, but it really sucks to get all suited back up, gloves, helmet, swing a leg over the bike... and then realize you should have hit the port-a-potty before this session. Also, if you're not drinking enough water that you need to pee at least every other session, you're probably getting dehydrated, whether or not you realize it.

For the OP, like Jay said, good stuff for a first time out. Getting to where you trust the brakes enough to be ***** out on the throttle up to your brake marker, then switch to full brakes, then feather and lay it over into a turn takes time. It's even harder on the 'hawk because we have so much engine braking available (I still cheat sometimes...). The thing to remember about passing is that if you can get to where you're getting on the gas much, much earlier in corners than the guys on 1k I-4's who hammer it down straight sections, you'll be with them or ahead once you get to the far end. The straight at my local track is long enough that the guys on CBR1Ks and one dude on a 1098 kept passing me every time... Until I got to where I was nearly 2/3 into the throttle before even standing the bike up completely coming out of the corner entering the straight. Once you get to that point, you'll stay even or ahead down the straights and be pulling away in the corners. Skilled guys on I-4 literbikes won't be holding you up anyway, it's mostly the 'street fast' guys who are flying down the straights and parking it in the turns.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Agree that's more good info. Especially remembering to take lots of water and keep drinking it between sessions.

I am pretty old to be starting a track career so I have no illusion I'll be fast. But I learned alot about body position and where to keep my gaze thru the corners. By the end of the day I was a lot faster than than my first few sessions so it was all I could hope for and more.