General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Title problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Squid

RBaldwin87 is on a distinguished road
Title problems

I bought a 98 super hawk from a guy who didn't have the title in his name because the guy he bought it from filled out the info for purchaser on the title but never got the title transferred into his name. It's been about three weeks and now the guy I bought it from isn't answering his phone for me now. When I went to the DMV to get the title they told me they couldn't do it because the other guy already filled out the information. Does anyone have any advice or tips for a guy who got suckered?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Squid

majordomo490 is on a distinguished road
Need some more info but being the legal owner and having the title are not the same thing so you should be ok.
Do you have the filled out title or is he refusing to give it to you?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Squid

alwayshonda is on a distinguished road
Did you at least write up a bill of sales and have it notarized? That would at least give you a way to get your money back if everything else goes sour.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
It's different in every state, but in sc whoever the bike/vehicle is titled tomis the only who can sign it over. So if your guy never had it transferred into his name you may have to contact the first owner.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
As is said - states differ. In texas you can apply/buy a bonded title for about a $100 on a bike. I went through this **** when I bought the VFR. If nobody comes forward to contest your ownership within (?) two years you are granted a normal title of ownership. It's a better option than chasing down deadbeats.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem with a car i originally bought for parts, than decided to title it. In Wisconsin we have a form called "statement of intent". If your state has something similar, you would have to fill out the form as if the original seller on the title decided to sell it to you and not the purchaser listed on the title. Of course if you can't get a hold of either person, you would have to forge the signiture on the document.