General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tire changes are easy. Now with video!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
OKOK so I just drove up to Conn to pick up my used HF motorcycle tire changer. I already ordered more than enuff delrin thermoplastic for the mojoblocks for $7 from mcmaster-carr. If anyone is in my hood and needs a tire change call me....
I looked at their site and it was not clear to me what to order. What exactly did you order?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
It is the material they make knee & frame sliders out of.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8739k93/=aivoj6
You can get it from these guys. I got 1.5" square solid rod in white. Half a foot was like $7. I have made sliders for all my race bikes out of it. Bar ends, muffler sliders, fairing sliders, etc.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 AM
MotoGP

It is the material they make knee & frame sliders out of.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8739k93/=aivoj6
You can get it from these guys. I got 1.5" square solid rod in white. Half a foot was like $7. I have made sliders for all my race bikes out of it. Bar ends, muffler sliders, fairing sliders, etc.
apersheate it joe. What do you do? melt it and put it in molds? shape it with a grinder? do you have any pics? Sounds interesting.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
MotoGP

No you just machine it/ drill it/ dremel it. I have a friend with a lathe but you can cut it with a hacksaw or coping saw. For the sliders it is lathed.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

No you just machine it/ drill it/ dremel it. I have a friend with a lathe but you can cut it with a hacksaw or coping saw. For the sliders it is lathed.
oh..i thought you were going to put it on the rim holders to keep from scratching the wheels. And on the big tire bar ends.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM
MotoGP

Yes, in this application I am cutting them into blocks to replicate the mojoblocks to hold the wheel. I have thinner pieces to cover the tire bar.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM
MotoGP

Yes, in this application I am cutting them into blocks to replicate the mojoblocks to hold the wheel. I have thinner pieces to cover the tire bar.
I'm having difficulty visualizing how to do this. Can you post some pics of things that you have done on your bike/other and are going to do to the tire changer? Sounds amazing.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM
MotoGP

OK so I got & cut the delrin, notched it out & mounted it on the tire changer. Works perfectly. Changed some tires. Turns out the mojolever is worth the money for ease of use. This beats riding to the shop with a tire around my waist or bungeed on...
Attached Thumbnails Tire changes are easy. Now with video!-tirefix1.11-021.jpg   Tire changes are easy. Now with video!-tirefix1.11-022.jpg   Tire changes are easy. Now with video!-p90x-pics-tirechngr-025.jpg   Tire changes are easy. Now with video!-p90x-pics-tirechngr-027.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 PM
MotoGP

awesome! thanks. Did you buy the mojolever bar and/or modify the harbor freight bar? Nice job.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

I just broke down & bought the mojolever. I didn't think I could modify the HF one without much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I am glad I did. Besides, its made by a biker so good kharma.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM
MotoGP

I just broke down & bought the mojolever. I didn't think I could modify the HF one without much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I am glad I did. Besides, its made by a biker so good kharma.
well if he this biker has such good karma, why didn't you just spend another 30 bucks for his tire changer blocks instead of making your own?haha

seriously, nice job on the blocks. No more butchering up the wheels huh.

thanks for the pics. I'm doin it. electrical tape is too iffy. I guess i could cut a thin slice for the bead breaker with a table or chop saw huh?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

For sure I will always do for myself when I can. I cant make the bar or I would have.

For the bead breaker you could use sheets (thats what I did) or just laundry detergent bottle plastic & zip ties. The bead breaker doesnt really contact the rim like the blocks or the bar. (or as violently)
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm... Better karma would have been to buy Hawkrider's brother's bar

And I tried the electrical tape route first - it sucked. A nice Bar (Mojo or Nomar) and the blocks turns the HF into a very workable solution
Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM
MotoGP

I would have if I had the info. Do I search hawkriders brothers bar?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 PM
MotoGP

I would have if I had the info. Do I search hawkriders brothers bar?
Nomar, but you already have that one covered. Maybe hawkrider's brother would have offered a discount to superhawkers if he had karma? Or maybe he did and we didn't take him up on it because we don't have karma?

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/6
Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I thought I'd update on the Dynabeads since I've been using them for a while now.

The Good: They seem to work very well in any condition I've been in as long as the speed is above 20 mph (when tire balance matters the most). I have a very smooth ride on a front wheel/tire combo that would have needed about one ounce of wheel weights (so not that out-of-balance to begin with). They are easy enough to use. They are fairly cheap compared to taking them to be balanced or buying a balancer and weights. Also, either Power Pures are the best tires ever (which is possible), or they might be increasing my tread life. I think it's most likely the Pures though . . . I have over 3000 miles on these tires, and I'd guess the tread is still 80% or more.

The Bad: At slow speeds you can hear them moving around in your tire, but it's not very loud. It sounds exactly like sand in your tire. My biggest gripe though is under hard braking at less than 30 mph, I can feel them shifting in the front tire. This seems to reduce my braking "feel" at the lever, because I can feel the beads shifting and I lose the feel for what the tire is doing on the road. The first time this happened, I was stopping hard in traffic thanks to a Toyota Camry and a cell phone, and thought my front tire lost traction, or something was wrong with my brakes. When it happened again later, I remembered the Dyna Beads. This feeling is only at slower speeds, like under 30 mph. At higher speeds, the beads seem to be planted and I don't feel anything unusual.

Verdict (so far): I would say that Dyna Beads are a decent alternative to weights, especially for anyone who does mostly highway or backroad miles without a lot of slow speed poking around and starting and stopping. But I think I'll be switching back to weights and a spin balancer due to the shifting issue I described above at slow speeds. I spend most of my riding time commuting, and it can be slow stop and go the entire way. Unfortunately it's under that scenario where Dyna Beads are out of their element.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by evines
I thought I'd update on the Dynabeads since I've been using them for a while now.

The Good: They seem to work very well in any condition I've been in as long as the speed is above 20 mph (when tire balance matters the most). I have a very smooth ride on a front wheel/tire combo that would have needed about one ounce of wheel weights (so not that out-of-balance to begin with). They are easy enough to use. They are fairly cheap compared to taking them to be balanced or buying a balancer and weights. Also, either Power Pures are the best tires ever (which is possible), or they might be increasing my tread life. I think it's most likely the Pures though . . . I have over 3000 miles on these tires, and I'd guess the tread is still 80% or more.

The Bad: At slow speeds you can hear them moving around in your tire, but it's not very loud. It sounds exactly like sand in your tire. My biggest gripe though is under hard braking at less than 30 mph, I can feel them shifting in the front tire. This seems to reduce my braking "feel" at the lever, because I can feel the beads shifting and I lose the feel for what the tire is doing on the road. The first time this happened, I was stopping hard in traffic thanks to a Toyota Camry and a cell phone, and thought my front tire lost traction, or something was wrong with my brakes. When it happened again later, I remembered the Dyna Beads. This feeling is only at slower speeds, like under 30 mph. At higher speeds, the beads seem to be planted and I don't feel anything unusual.

Verdict (so far): I would say that Dyna Beads are a decent alternative to weights, especially for anyone who does mostly highway or backroad miles without a lot of slow speed poking around and starting and stopping. But I think I'll be switching back to weights and a spin balancer due to the shifting issue I described above at slow speeds. I spend most of my riding time commuting, and it can be slow stop and go the entire way. Unfortunately it's under that scenario where Dyna Beads are out of their element.
Interesting feedback on the dynabeads. Never noticed that phenom. I had to use them in my XR tires and the Q2's I had before the Power Pures. I didn't have to use that much though.

My first Power Pures lasted 4,400 miles at which time the threads appeared in the middle of the rear tire. Not bad considering I run low pressures(28-32). I just mounted my second set, but this time a 190x55. Very easy tires to mount and neither set needed balanced, so no dyna beads. I only have 100 miles on the 190x55(5.5 rim) and can't even get near the first of the 3 lines at the edge of the rear tire, whereas there were no chicken strips on the 180. Much steeper sidewall.