General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tire break in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
nOOb
Squid

Dusty B is on a distinguished road
Tire break in?

Another noob question. I just picked up my hawk, had a new pilot road 2ct mounted on the back (will give updates on opinions) and had a question. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a good method to break in the tire. I know to be careful for the first 100mi or so, but am worried as to how far I should lean as the tire is breaking in. A kid at the shop as I was leaving told me "to smoke the tire", but this only helps me in the middle of the tire I thought. I did do a search and did not find I was looking for. I apologize ahead of time if I'm .

Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
get some sand paper and knock the new off of the whole thing to the edges. ride carefully to warm it up on a twisty road and find the limits cautiously. enjoy and report, i bought one too, but am waiting until i wear out the conti road attack and a round of slabbing until mountage.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:54 PM
nOOb
Squid

Dusty B is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
get some sand paper and knock the new off of the whole thing to the edges. ride carefully to warm it up on a twisty road and find the limits cautiously. enjoy and report, i bought one too, but am waiting until i wear out the conti road attack and a round of slabbing until mountage.
Thanks, this is what I really was thinking of trying. I commute 40 mi one way each day so I deff report the pros and cons of this new tire. The reviews have been very good from many so far though...
Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I've honestly never worried about it. I just swerve around a bit and scrub the chicken strips all the way off first time I ride it. I push my tires hard the very first time, every time. That way I know what I'm getting into with a new tire. If it starts sliding, provided your doing everything else right, then you know the limit of the tire.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
there isn't anything overly slippery about new tires (assuming the mounting liquid is off). I agree with Drew. Just ride gradually until you have some heat in them to soften the rubber to working temp. I have never had a problem with them being anything but sticky. Depending on the compound and intended use, getting heat into them can take some laps or riding - especially things that flex the sidewall (accel, braking, leaning). With those new fancy tires you have, once up to temp you aren't going to be dissatisfied.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditto posts #4 and #5.

You are not the noob. The goof-ball that told you to "smoke the tire" is the noob.
More accurately the "boob".

I'd get on it and ride it as hard as you want to as soon as the tires warm up.

I don't see any need to take it easy the first 100 miles or so, or go at your tires with sandpaper.

Ever been to a track day?
Imagine a guy buying new tires and the Dunlop guy, or Michelin guy telling him to take it easy for 100 miles.
Yeah, right.

Most of that is old school stuff that does not really apply to modern high performance sport rubber radials.

I will ride a few miles to make sure the tires are rolling smoothly, not shaking, etc. Stop and do a visual check, and then they are as ready to be pushed as they will ever be.

Cold tires are to be feared.
New tires are your friend!

FWIW and AFAIK, unless you ride sufficient to have absolutely zero "chicken strip" you'll never touch the softer compound of the 2CTs.
There is a pretty narrow strip of softer rubber that runs just around the edge of the tread surface right near the lip. Other than that, they are just standard Pilot Powers.
GREAT tires to be sure, but I'm not sold on the real world advantage of paying the extra for the 2CTs.

Last edited by Brian A; 04-24-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
i just put new tires on my superhawk.. first turn at like 10 felt the rear slip out a little.. so i took a brillow pad(or something like that) to them.. then i took it a little easy on the turns, I road motard style for a bit (foot out).. probly looked like a douche but better safe than sorry... just dont be scrapping pegs for a while.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
heh! i don't mean that you need to take a grinder to 'em, lol! just that with my two brand new tires, well, i'd like 'em to be one femtometer less shiny than brand new before i ran 'em into enough lean to heat them all the away up edge to edge. and yeah, the rear has *no* chickens the front has 1/8". wish my effin camera was workin' right about now...
Old 04-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
so the tires that are originally on the hawk "208 dunlop" i think, are they any good?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
one thing you can always do is find an empty parking lot and ride in a circle over and over again while leaning over more consistently.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:16 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Tires are for women.. I just run on the rim's...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
OEM Dunlops were D204s. They were crap back then and are still crap (probably more due to new technology). 208s aren't bad but get greasy when heated up good. The new Qualifier is the way to go if you're a Dunlop guy. Michelin - Pilot Power. Bridgestone - I don't really like any of 'em. Pirelli - Diablo Corsa is a good street/track day tire but the Supercorsa friggin rocks! These opinions are performance-based. I don't worry about mileage from tires...I've pretty much given up on that.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest
Tires are for women.. I just run on the rim's...
Finally, someone I can agree with. What a bunch of Nancys on here!