General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Timing advance kit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Squid

SunsetSuper is on a distinguished road
Timing advance kit??

Anyone know anything, or had any experience with the +2 timing advance kit?
Really, just a disk. Cheap enough, and thought with higher octane fuel, there should be little risk, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Pro-...60542689042%26

Last edited by SunsetSuper; 10-18-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: include link
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Search - it's a subject that's cropped up before
Old 10-18-2013, 10:50 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Early model VTR's benefit from +4 degrees of advance Later models already have it or the IGN module is different. It is all in Knowledge Base.

Higher octane gas is a waste of money and will no difference except to your wallet.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Early model VTR's benefit from +4 degrees of advance Later models already have it or the IGN module is different. It is all in Knowledge Base.

Higher octane gas is a waste of money and will no difference except to your wallet.
First, The knowledge base had nothing on a +2 degree timing advance kit.
I'm still on the fence about that. I guess I'll get all of my other 'stuff' done first...carbs, TPS etc, then worry about timing.

Second, I'm going to have to disagree on the fuel thing. I track every ounce that goes into this bike with a phone app. I've had it for a month, and over 1350 miles, the price per mile is the exact same for 91 octane non-oxy, than Mid-grade (89) octane. There is almost always a 5-9 mpg advantage in premium. Could be coincidence, could be true.
PS...Averaging 40 MPG...37 MPG when I ride alone, and 44 MPG when I'm with the group. FYI. By reading other posts, I'd say i'm blessed.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SunsetSuper
Second, I'm going to have to disagree on the fuel thing. I track every ounce that goes into this bike with a phone app. I've had it for a month, and over 1350 miles, the price per mile is the exact same for 91 octane non-oxy, than Mid-grade (89) octane. There is almost always a 5-9 mpg advantage in premium. Could be coincidence, could be true.
Theoretically, there should be no difference. If anything you should get better performance with this motor with regular. In my experience this is true as well. I can't speak to your findings and don't want to discredit them. We had a long thread on this awhile back and it was suggested that the higher octane fuel may have less ethanol in some areas, making it better for the vtr's system.

Higher octane= less prone to detonation. With the relatively low compression of the VTR's motor, there are no pre-detonation problems so premium fuel isn't needed.

And to take the conversation further, think about it from the oil companies' perspective. If customers are paying more for the same amount of gas voluntarily, why would they correct general public perception that premium fuel is better when it isn't? Yeah, I went from zero to conspiracy in three paragraphs

Again, I'm just having fun on the internet, not trying to call out your personal experience. You're not the only one to have found they like it better, I'm just not sold on premium gas.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
95 ron and 97 ron over here and 95 is good
Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Squid

I see all the threads for fuel, so I won't beat the dead horse.
Just telling you that the app. tracks everything...Miles, Price, Gals. and octane
Pretty cool, I put my costs in it, like the Rectifier, headlight, etc and it calculates the total costs per mile in all catagories. So, between 89 with ethanol, and 91 non-oxy, the average cost per mile is the exact same...$.09/mile.
With service (just the basics so far...only had it a month, battery, R/R and headlamp). It is costing me $.21 per mile to operate the bike. As the miles go up with maint. and repairs, this number will naturally decrease...rapidly.
OK....I'm done.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:52 PM
MotoGP

Sounds like a pretty cool app. Does it work for vehicles too? And what app is it? I'd make good use of something like that...
Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Here in Oz we have 91 with 1o percent ethanol(Never use it) 95 Ron and 98 Ron no ethanol.

I have a Dynojet kit and plus 4 advancer and bike seems to perform best on 95!!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:55 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I bet that higher octane has less ethanol therefore more burnable gas.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:08 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Yeah, I bet that higher octane has less ethanol therefore more burnable gas.
Only in some areas of the country when we looked into it before. In Phoenix and most of Arizona, it all has the same amount of ethanol.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I worked for an independent oil company a few years back and recall that the cost to produce premium fuel was, at the time, about 2 cents per liter more (about 8 cents per US gallon) yet they were selling the stuff for 10 to 16 cents more per liter. You don't have to be a math major to see why they (oil companies) are all pushing the high octane urban legends.......
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Here in the Boise area the "No Ethanol" gas stations only offer no ethanol in premium 90-91 octane.

James
Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Squid

The app is called
"Car Care"....If you search with iPhone, type in car care, and it was the first one that popped up for me.
Red Fuel nozzle with drips. That's the one I use. You can add as many vehicles as you want, and can edit service items, and make alerts based on mileage or time to service vehicle. You can even set it to track and record fuel stops with GPS, and track which stations are usually cheaper, and the length of 'pit stop'. I turn this feature off through, it burns through the battery, although they were supposed to put a patch on it.
I'm rambling.
32 degrees here, had a little snow over the weekend. Very depressed that last Sat. was the end of the season. (possibly...about 40 degrees is my limit at any distance over 50 miles.)