General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Throttle sticks wide open..

Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
  #1  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 43
LoPing78 is on a distinguished road
Throttle sticks wide open..

Before anyone goes screaming "use search function" I already have.. Tried "stuck throttle, throttle stuck, sticky throttle, and just throttle alone" No findings.. on to my point if anyone can help..

Failed MD inspection for amongst other things the throttle sticking for a few seconds when held wide open.. I checked online for some resolutions and tried the easy fix first.. Picked up some cable lube with the little syringe thing and squirted some down.. At first it seemed to have helped.. a few hours later now however, it seems worse.. It won't click back to normal with out me helping it along.. Not sure what to do at this point.. I have a few weeks until my 30day temporary registration runs out and I'm not the most technically savy so I'm not sure I'm going to be the best at taking the whole tank off and getting to the carbs and all that stuff.. Thanks in advance guys..
LoPing78 is offline  
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
  #2  
Boosted
SuperSport
 
Syclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 642
Syclone is on a distinguished road
make sure your throttle cable doesn't have any weird bends or tight spots in it
Syclone is offline  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cochrane, AB
Posts: 154
slabm7 is on a distinguished road
Just some easy idea

- Check your grip and make sure its not rubbing on the bar ends or throttle cable housing
- pull your grip off and put some grease between the clip on and throttle tube, the throttle tube may be rubbing on the clip on.

I don't think it would be a problem in the carb, I think worst case scenario you might have to replace your throttle cable.
slabm7 is offline  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM
  #4  
Member
Squid
 
motogomojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 35
motogomojo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
Just some easy idea

- Check your grip and make sure its not rubbing on the bar ends or throttle cable housing
- pull your grip off and put some grease between the clip on and throttle tube, the throttle tube may be rubbing on the clip on.

I don't think it would be a problem in the carb, I think worst case scenario you might have to replace your throttle cable.

+1 check bar ends
motogomojo is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 AM
  #5  
Head Scratcher
Back Marker
 
poppazuti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 202
poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
Just some easy idea

- Check your grip and make sure its not rubbing on the bar ends or throttle cable housing
- pull your grip off and put some grease between the clip on and throttle tube, the throttle tube may be rubbing on the clip on.

I don't think it would be a problem in the carb, I think worst case scenario you might have to replace your throttle cable.
+2 on the throttle tube. Had a sticky throttle on my old zx7 and that cleared it right up.
poppazuti is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
evines is on a distinguished road
I think the above posts just about covered it. Mine used to stick and it was just the grip getting pinched between the bar end and throttle cable housing.

When I did my front end swap, I had too tight a bend in my throttle cables during one trial position, which resulted in the throttle sticking. I repositioned the throttle cables and everything was back to normal.

If it ends up being something other than what we already mentioned, I'd be curious what it was . . .
evines is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Erik S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westerly, RI
Posts: 1,216
Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Here's another possibility, inside the throttle housing, make sure the cables or throttle tube aren't sticking in there.

The grip is usually the culprit. My friends 2008 CBR600RR wouldn't return to idle, I knew he had just changed grips. Slid them away from the bar ends, and all was as it should be.
Erik S. is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
  #8  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 43
LoPing78 is on a distinguished road
Sweet.. thanks for the info! I did just put new grips on and I had to cut the ends for them to fit on. They're definitly not rubbing on either end. I pulled off the cable housing last night applied cable lube.. seemed to help for a moment or two then it went back to sticking only worse than before.. I'll check between the clip on and throttle tube.. Any recommendation on what sort of grease to use there?

Thanks again for all the input.. Pulling the tank off and getting into that whole area is not in my best interest with out having someone experienced help me along.. I fear I'd do more damage than good.. spill gas all over the garage, blow something up.. etc..
LoPing78 is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cochrane, AB
Posts: 154
slabm7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LoPing78 View Post
Sweet.. thanks for the info! I did just put new grips on and I had to cut the ends for them to fit on. They're definitly not rubbing on either end. I pulled off the cable housing last night applied cable lube.. seemed to help for a moment or two then it went back to sticking only worse than before.. I'll check between the clip on and throttle tube.. Any recommendation on what sort of grease to use there?

Thanks again for all the input.. Pulling the tank off and getting into that whole area is not in my best interest with out having someone experienced help me along.. I fear I'd do more damage than good.. spill gas all over the garage, blow something up.. etc..
Just use whatever grease you have available, no special kind required. Clean the crap off the clip on. Cover the clip on in a nice thin layer of new grease. Don't use and kind of penetrant (WD40).
slabm7 is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
7moore7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,867
7moore7 is on a distinguished road
If that doesn't work, try taking the cables off if you can get a screwdriver in through the frame. Detach them from the grips and the carbs (again- I can't remember if one can do this while they're on the motor).

Then try to move the cables in the housing- if they move fine when not attached to the bike, it's in your grip, a kink in the line, or on your throttle at the carbs. If they don't move very well, squirt a bunch of WD-40 down the cables and move them up and down and repeat this a couple of times. I did this to mine and a bunch of grime came out. If you have a compressor, blow the WD-40 out but if not just let it drain as best as possible. Then put cable lube back in and hopefully that will work...

Just throwing out ideas...
7moore7 is offline  
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 AM
  #11  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 43
LoPing78 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7 View Post
If that doesn't work, try taking the cables off if you can get a screwdriver in through the frame. Detach them from the grips and the carbs (again- I can't remember if one can do this while they're on the motor).

Then try to move the cables in the housing- if they move fine when not attached to the bike, it's in your grip, a kink in the line, or on your throttle at the carbs. If they don't move very well, squirt a bunch of WD-40 down the cables and move them up and down and repeat this a couple of times. I did this to mine and a bunch of grime came out. If you have a compressor, blow the WD-40 out but if not just let it drain as best as possible. Then put cable lube back in and hopefully that will work...

Just throwing out ideas...
Thanks man.. I think I'm going to have to disconnect the cables and do what you said. I have no idea how to do this.. Take front fairing off and just go to town I guess haha.. I tried squirting more cable lube down the housing last night.. guy at the shop said that once you start lubing in there that debris can become dislodged and gather in one spot thus causing further sticking. Weather isn't cooperating either.. I'll let you know once this issue is solved once and for all.. It's very frustrating.
LoPing78 is offline  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
7moore7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,867
7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Rt side fairing comes off, then if you follow the cables in they attach to a circular guide thing that rotates. THAT part is mounted to the carbs with two screws- if you take those two screws off, the whole things comes loose and you can pull your cables out. After that part is off it's pretty easy to pull them off the guide attached to your handlebars (which you also have to remove two screws to get to.
7moore7 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
1971allchaos
Technical Discussion
22
08-07-2010 10:32 PM
ranchomice
General Discussion
28
06-12-2010 07:06 AM
ranchomice
Technical Discussion
7
06-10-2010 04:01 PM
CNI Dawg
Classifieds
2
05-11-2009 07:58 AM
Jeepingoose
Technical Discussion
6
07-12-2007 06:50 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle sticks wide open..


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands