Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front Brake lever jerks and sticks

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Superstock

Jeepingoose is on a distinguished road
Front Brake lever jerks and sticks

I was gonna ask this in a stoppie thread, but figured id get better response here, not to mention highjacking isnt nice

My 99 SH, when I use the front brake the lever sticks... and by that I mean when you usually go to stop you squeeze the lever and it moves smoothly and freely. Mine doesnt. It takes a slight bit of grip to move it, and as soon as it "gives" I have a sudden nose dive and a rapid deceleration.

Its not life threatening, as I usually downshift and rear brake more often than not... But it keeps me from having really smooth stops and from doing stoppies.

Lube seemed to help a LITTLE but within a few hours of riding, the problem resurfaces.

I think its the rubber "boot" that the lever pushes on to force the fluid into the system.

Anyone have/had this problem before?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Squid

YellowHawk is on a distinguished road
mine is doing the same thing. A mechanic friend of mine told me to take the front calipers off and apart and clean them good. They get gunked up with road grime and old brake fluid. I have not had the time yet, but I know what you mean.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I had twice, I used some chain lube between the lever and the cylinder. Moly grease would do a better job I think. It was annoying my passengers were hitting my helmets and stuff, wd-40 and other thin lubes are worthless there.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Squid

thedawk is on a distinguished road
Mine started doing that same thing a while agao. I was thinking I needed to do a brake job as well. Looks like I should look at the lever and piston first. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Yikes

Guys..guys.. you want to get that sorted out. you could be putting yourselves down..wet or greasy road and you will get hurt...Fresh fluid and a good bleed...check condition of pads..take calipers off..lots of good aresol brake cleaner..careful use of air..make sure the calipers move freely...bolt out of pivot on handle-bar..grease that..cleaner again around rubber boot.. Or to a shop you trust...that front brake is vital to your safety...Like your mom used to say.."Get down from there your going to hurt yourself!!" Guys..don't ride the bikes without fixing that..
Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
It's fixed, it seem that the aluminium starts to flake and hinders the lever slide on the master plunger. Clean and lube way to go !! It brakes well, it's just not smooth, when the lever go it's a bit all at once. Try to get a piece of cloth in between to get tha alu dust out.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Step one: remove front brake lever, clean and re-grease pivot with lithium (find it in aerosol can at walmart; will last you for years).

If that doesn't fix it, Step two: do what Dave Wicks said.

Step three: check to make sure brake light is working. Removing lever can sometimes mess with the alignment of the switch on the lever assembly.