General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Those little bells...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
I was given one by some of my cruiser riding buds, and yes, the legend is it must be a gift. In 20+ yrs of riding this was the first one I've had. Put it on the Bonneville. It just didn't seem to be appropriate for the Hawk...
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
As i heard this superstition- The bells is given to another/with a prayer of good, safe riding on the roads.
Bells - Angel bell, you shouldn't be riding slow enough for the angels to keep up with you.
-Demon bell, if your riding fast enough for the angels not to keep up with you- Then the demons will definitely hear you coming-Should SCARE the hell out of them -demons, and make them leave you alone.
Either way- says a prayer before you get on the machine, Trust in your skills.
Not some dum bell..
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
This topic is too stupid for me to comment on. This seems like a real dumb thing to put your faith in. But I guess if hard work and dicipline required to hone riding skill was easy then everyone would do it. Easier to put some gay bell on your bike. Oh yeah, I realize the irony of my opening line......
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Squid

Meierznutz is on a distinguished road
C'mon folks. It's not about the bell. It's about having someone think enough about you to give you a little something that says they wish you well. Do you think that a St. Christopher medal will keep you safe? That a cross around your neck will help you stay upright on a slick corner? That the rabbits foot on your key chain will be great luck for everyone but the rabbit? What about the person that says a prayer when they hear a siren or see a Hearse?
And can we please stop the bike bashing? I have owned 3 Hondas, 2 Kawis, and two Harleys. It bugs me that folks cant just be glad that someone else enjoys the sport even if its in a different way.
I once stopped on I-84 to help a guy haul his broke down Harley. As I was helping pull the bike back out of the truck, he asked if I rode. When I told him I had a Kawi he scoffed like I wasn't worthy of his time. I called him a DICK to his face and reminded him the "Ricer" just got him and his bike home. I hope he learned something. And before you say "Thats a Harley", I've had the same thing happen picking up metric machines.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 AM
MotoGP

I dont think anyone is bike bashing per se. It is just that at this time in American history the situations leading to people owning harleys is that they are costume wearing, bike trailering non-riders who just crossed "own a harley" off their bucket list. I know plenty of ignorant riders of all makes (some post on here).
Sometimes everyone needs to be reminded we are all on the same 2 contact patches. When my RR died in coney island I had to push my bike for 2-3 miles in Brooklyn with my wife pushing from the back. We were rescued by a tatoo'd harley guy who drove us all the way home to get my van.
I still maintain that those bells are gay no matter who gave them to you. If someone gave you a sundress to put on your bike would you do that? Its your bike, still a statement of you.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I have them. as stated just above, I consider it a "someone cares" type of thing. I don't think they are gay at all. Want me to send you one so you'll know someone cares?

Oh...that entry doesn't exist on my bucket list either.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
MotoGP

That is funny.. I guess I am used to seeing the ghetto boys with dollar bills taped to their bike & all sorts of dumb-*** crap like spiked bolts etc... I guess I just dont believe in superstitious good luck charms. Christianity doesn't allow for it. That aside, the bell do look dumb. I guess they do go with the village people costume though.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife cares that I'm safe when I ride, and she's usually riding with me on her SV (although I ride ahead when in the twisties). That's all that matters with me. And of course I want her to be safe as well.

"We don't need no stinkin' bells!"
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NCDave
it's more of a cruiser thing, but a little good luck never hurt anyone. Generally, it's said that they work best if they are a gift from someone else, as opposed to just going out and buying one yourself. I don't have one on my SH yet. Perhaps that's the reason I went down at the track this weekend.
I'm thinkin' not.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

It's a bitch thing, no guy is going to put a freaking good luck/angel bell on his bike, on his own. It gives the emotion driven Mom/GF/wife some sense that they are protecting their loved one from potential harm.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, but my wife would never think I am the kind of guy to ride with that crap. Like I said, probably makes a good match to the ***-less chaps that complete the ensemble. My wife kisses me before I head onto the track a couple hundred times a year. Bells? really? Are you sure you want to ride a bike? Do you wear her undies too?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
If a little bell did anything, it sure is good at riling people up

Little pieces of wax fire on a large dessert that represent wishes sounds pretty silly too, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with birthday candles on a cake every once in awhile!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Still, Harley guys with tinker bells is pretty funny...
Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
they would probably say that us dressing up like Ricky Racer is pretty silly too.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Squid

stumplove is on a distinguished road
Have you seen alot of the women that ride passenger on Harleys? Its not a gremlin/angel bell, its more like the dinner bell.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Once again, "Same planet, different worlds."

The longer I reside here, the stranger and more alien the life forms become. I wonder how much longer I have to go before I'm spotted for a total auslander and have to come up with a new costume.

Uh, where do I go to get bells, fringe and those chaps that got mentioned? Is the do-rag de rigeur?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stebbdt
Nope, ain't got one on either of my custom V-Twins. Guess nobody likes me that much.
Brother...if you really want one, send me your address and I'll send you one for free that has been on the shelf ever since it was given to me. I'll even knock the dust off it, so it'll be new again. I'm not puttin' it on anything I'll ever ride coz all I'm gonna ride is the Hawk. After that, I'll be too old to ride anything else!

Seems as if it's brought luck to a few, but I don't rely on luck for much of anything.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

Originally Posted by stumplove
Have you seen alot of the women that ride passenger on Harleys? Its not a gremlin/angel bell, its more like the dinner bell.
Ol Stumpy seems to have hit the nail on the head. Good one!