General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Thinking of selling my Firestorm

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
Thinking of selling my Firestorm

I wanted to see if I could get some input from anyone who owns, or has owned both a Firestorm and an RC51. Since switching from my I-4 600 to my VTR it's been wicked awesome. BUT I really like the look and sound of the RC51's and was curious about all sorts of things. For example power, comfort for both rider and passanger, reliability especially the CCT's I keep hearing the VTR's are notorious for. Thanks guys
Old 08-01-2009, 06:20 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
well, i own both rc51 and vtr. i bought the vtr last summer as a second bike for my lady. i had an 05 gixxer 1k. after i bought the hawk i rarely rode the gixxer. sold it and bought an rc51. got a 2001 with 12800kms in montreal for $5800.
i love both bikes. the hawk might be a bit more fun.
power is similar. the rc51 has a bit more and is faster top end.
reliability would be similar except for the gear driven cams on the rc51. no chain and associated cct.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A note on passenger & passenger comfort... On the VTR it's possible to be 2-up and with a shorter/lighter passenger it's reasonably comfortable... Not something you'd do cross country on 2-up though...

On a RC51 the passenger saddle is an optional extra accesory... As in "If I buy a bike that legally can't carry a passenger my wife will kill me..." That kind of extra...

Unless your passenger/significant other is a contortionist with S/M tendencies don't bother...

For the rider the position is "track oriented"... with emphasis on track... Anything not involving curves at high speeds and hanging off is considered touring...

Don't get me wrong... I love the RC51 and if I had the money to own two bikes or more it would be on my list... But it's purpose is completely polar opposite to the superhawks...
Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
Wow thanks alot for your input guys! I like the gear driven cam idea for reliability but if I`m not mistaken I would lose that totally original whine my VTR produces. I purchased my VTR this spring and have had problems with it the whole way. The dealer I got it from has made attempts to get it running better but it hasnt made it to my mechanic yet whom I put on a pedastal because hes always more than capable. Im just saying maybe once its running top notch I will be happier with the power. Also the passenger info was very important for me as I have 2 kids and a wife and occasionally they will all ride with me(seperatly obviously)
Old 08-01-2009, 11:04 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
oh yeah, rc51 isn't great for a passenger.

i'm glad i don't have to choose between the hawk and the 51.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Squid

bdudemon is on a distinguished road
The RC51 is a very cool looking bike but the Superhawk is way more comfortable if you are a big guy. The RC51 feels more like sitting on a 600 cc GXSR the handle bars are closer in and the pegs are higher so you can lean further. The Superhawk is a somewhere between a sport bike and almost a sport touring bike in comfort. The RC51 is pure racebike. Personally I think the RC51 is a cool bike but being a big guy I'd go for the Superhawk as I would end up riding it more.

The only thing I've ever heard that as Superhawk was weak on was the cam chain tensioner but that was for the early models 98-2000 I think it was. Many many people have ridden their Superhawks for 50K or 100K miles with no problems. Both bikes are Honda's I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bdudemon
The only thing I've ever heard that as Superhawk was weak on was the cam chain tensioner but that was for the early models 98-2000 I think it was. Many many people have ridden their Superhawks for 50K or 100K miles with no problems. Both bikes are Honda's I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much.
The cct design never changed. They may have changed the spring to a more robust one, but that is no guarantee. The only way to be sure is replace it every 20,000 or get a APE manual cct.

And there are bikes with over 150k on them.