General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Thinking of parting out my 98 bird, need a bit of advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Squid

xboxxer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Thinking of parting out my 98 bird, need a bit of advice

I ran into a little snag with my mechanic buddy who thought he could adjust the valves, but now realizes he can't. I'm already in for $300 and just don't have the funds or will to invest any more money into the bike. What prices should I ask for/expect to get if I part the whole bike? Bike was never crashed, frame has a clean title, only incomplete item is the motor since it needs a shim kit and the valves done, but otherwise in great shape w/12k. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to ask for too high of prices and end up not selling or haggling (which I just hate). TIA
Old 07-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Squid

Rashardj is on a distinguished road
What kind of exhaust is on it? and I want first dibbs on it
Old 07-18-2009, 04:21 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Don't give up so quick, what was the problem with the bike? Was it running and just needed adjustment?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Rashardj
What kind of exhaust is on it? and I want first dibbs on it
Bike is bone stock mechanically, and thinking of parting, not sure if I'll do it yet.

Originally Posted by drew_c14
Don't give up so quick, what was the problem with the bike? Was it running and just needed adjustment?
As far as he told me, two exhaust valves on the rear head were not sealing all the way and ran the risk of burning up. Asked me to buy a used head for it, I did. Asked me to buy a set of gaskets for the head, I did. Asked me to buy the cam tensioners, I bought a set from trucker. Now he said that it's a more complicated job picking the right shims etc. I'm not a mechanic, I know basic stuff and spending more money on the bike is not an option today. If I could do the job myself, I would as I love the hawk, most fun bike I ever had. Bike ran great before I brought to him, figured it was time for service. Now I regret it.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:53 PM
SuperBike

Man, I hate to say this if he is a buddy of yours. But sounds like your getting hosed. I'm not a valve expert and I hope someone else chimes in here but I've never heard of jumping straight into replacing a head like that. If the bike ran fine before why was he even tearing it apart in the first place?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:57 PM
SuperBike

I just looked on ronayers, the shims are less than 6 dollars not including shipping. Just a matter of figuring out which is needed. I know for a fact that there are a number of people on this forum that have that knowledge, I'm just not one of them. Take all your parts back, ebay the used head you bought, do the work yourself, and you'll break even. Just my $.02.

Last edited by drew_c14; 07-18-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:12 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Sounds like your friend doesn't own a micrometer and doesn't have a grasp of basic math. That sucks. I wonder if he even measured the lash right in the first place.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Fix it!

did the cct's fail or was this just a ruitine maintenance valve check?

The only people I know of that go through all this is people whose cct's failed. I wouldn't part it, you only need a little work to get her back going. You might make more parting it out, but it will be a big hassle in shipping and communicating with buyers. Much easier to sell complete.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:26 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Don't part it! You'll lose you ****. Try to find someone local that can help you out. Where do you live?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Where are you located? If you are at all close to NH I will give you a hand. If not I will be glad to walk you through a valve adjust. They really are not that hard on a v-twin, just a bit time consuming.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Squid

Man, I hate to say this if he is a buddy of yours. But sounds like your getting hosed. I'm not a valve expert and I hope someone else chimes in here but I've never heard of jumping straight into replacing a head like that. If the bike ran fine before why was he even tearing it apart in the first place?
I just looked on ronayers, the shims are less than 6 dollars not including shipping. Just a matter of figuring out which is needed. I know for a fact that there are a number of people on this forum that have that knowledge, I'm just not one of them. Take all your parts back, ebay the used head you bought, do the work yourself, and you'll break even. Just my $.02.
I actually don't doubt his expertise, from what I gathered from him he's just frustrated with the process and doesn't want to spend more time on it, and I don't have a problem with that. Disappointed? sure am, but nothing more than that. Taken apart due to regular maintenance, wanted to take the bike cross country late September and figured it would be a good idea to do check the valves and adjust if needed. He took the heads off because he said he heard chain noise. Diagnosis was the two rear head exhaust valves weren't sealing all the way and slightly bent. He gave me two option, buy a used head and slap it straight on or replace the valves, said that if I get the used head it's a much quicker and easier thing to do. So since he's busy, I understood that's the option he wanted, turns out I should have gotten the valves.

I'm not an engine guy, I know basic mechanics, I can change plugs, filters, oil etc. but not messing with the engine. I strongly believe that you must crawl before you run and this will be going over my head for certain.

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Sounds like your friend doesn't own a micrometer and doesn't have a grasp of basic math. That sucks. I wonder if he even measured the lash right in the first place.
He probably did all that, but got frustrated and didn't anticipate it taking so long so he got sick of working in it. Like I said above, disappointed I sure am, but I don't hold it against him.

Originally Posted by cornandp
did the cct's fail or was this just a ruitine maintenance valve check?

The only people I know of that go through all this is people whose cct's failed. I wouldn't part it, you only need a little work to get her back going. You might make more parting it out, but it will be a big hassle in shipping and communicating with buyers. Much easier to sell complete.
cct's did not fail, but were probably close to it. This was just routine, but extensive maintenance. I wanted him to check the valves and sync the carbs etc. I'm not looking for the easier way out, just want some of the money back. Way I see it, if the trip doesn't happen this year, I'll be able to buy another hawk in a year or two but have my check book in check.

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Don't part it! You'll lose you ****. Try to find someone local that can help you out. Where do you live?
Thanks for the advice, but it really doesn't help me with my original request. I really want to know what I should be asking for, say for the frame, engine and all other parts. btw, I'm located in Fair Lawn, NJ.

Originally Posted by FTMS
Where are you located? If you are at all close to NH I will give you a hand. If not I will be glad to walk you through a valve adjust. They really are not that hard on a v-twin, just a bit time consuming.
I'm in Fair Lawn, NJ. Which is not that far from NH for a vacation at the shore, but too far to be convenient to help out. I sincerely appreciate the gesture though, you are super person just for offering. I would tackle this on my own if I felt I could do, but have literally zero confidence in doing it.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 PM
SuperBike

sounds like to me you are dead set on parting it...
Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think you miss the point the others are trying to make. You don't have any parts. Nobody needs stock stuff. If you're going to call it quits then sell it as a pile of parts for $1500 and hope that you can get it. Frame 300, gas tank if it's perfect 250-400, tail with seat and fairing 150, wheels 100, front forks 150. No offense but if you're not capable of fixing it are you any more capable of properly taking it apart? Save yourself the pain - dump it local as a piece.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by nuhawk
I think you miss the point the others are trying to make. You don't have any parts. Nobody needs stock stuff. If you're going to call it quits then sell it as a pile of parts for $1500 and hope that you can get it. Frame 300, gas tank if it's perfect 250-400, tail with seat and fairing 150, wheels 100, front forks 150. No offense but if you're not capable of fixing it are you any more capable of properly taking it apart? Save yourself the pain - dump it local as a piece.
Didn't miss the point, but then again I was asking for something else. No offense taken, but do you actually believe it takes the same skill level to disassemble a part as it does to repair to properly? Youv'e go to be kidding me.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 PM
SuperBike

where are you located xboxxer?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xboxxer
do you actually believe it takes the same skill level to disassemble a part as it does to repair to properly? Youv'e go to be kidding me.
It actually takes a greater level of skill to disassemble a mechanism that you are unfamiliar with.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Squid

where are you located xboxxer?
As stated before, in Fair Lawn, NJ. Updated my signature to reflect. Still a long way away from Oregon

Originally Posted by nuhawk
It actually takes a greater level of skill to disassemble a mechanism that you are unfamiliar with.
Please, I don't where you come off saying that. Taking a bike apart is a piece of cake, service manual optional. I took three bikes apart in the past, much more complex than the superhawk and it was cake. One thing I know is my limitations, and that said, there is no way you can compare the skill level for working on valves and engines components and taking a bike apart. I don't know what your angle is, but your comments make zero sense.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
SuperBike

I think alot of us die hard hawk riders hate to see a complete unwrecked superhawk get ripped apart because of something as silly as valves. Maybe Nuhawk is just voicing his opinion more forcefully but it still is an a bummer you are giving up. If you were closer to me I would either take it off your hands or help fix it. There are only getting fewer hawks out there.

You gotta understand people on this forum are on a whole a rebuilding crowd not a part it kinda crowd (unless it was wrecked). Overall its your decision, and in a day or two no one will care.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Trouble Makers Union 510
Squid

Roundboy is on a distinguished road
Great! I need parts! https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=19616
Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
12k miles and valve issues on a VTR, don't think so.

You are getting reamed and don't even know it.

If you were closer to TN i would fix it for you.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Squid

I think alot of us die hard hawk riders hate to see a complete unwrecked superhawk get ripped apart because of something as silly as valves. Maybe Nuhawk is just voicing his opinion more forcefully but it still is an a bummer you are giving up. If you were closer to me I would either take it off your hands or help fix it. There are only getting fewer hawks out there.

You gotta understand people on this forum are on a whole a rebuilding crowd not a part it kinda crowd (unless it was wrecked). Overall its your decision, and in a day or two no one will care.
I'd cosider myself a huge fan of the bike too, but my common sense always prevails no matter what. Speaking with my head and not my heart, I will be picking up the bike today and towing it back home. Will take a look at the heads and show them to someone in a bike shop and see what's actually going on. But in response to keeping hawks on the road, sometimes a donor bike puts 5 or 6 bikes back on the road, so look at the glass half full rather than half empty. I really don't care how poeple think of me or this situation, figured this place was a good point to get some ideas for prices for parts. If I am not willing to save the bike, now I feel that ebay will be my choice.

Originally Posted by Roundboy
Will let you know if I'll part it out first.

Originally Posted by Thumper
12k miles and valve issues on a VTR, don't think so.

You are getting reamed and don't even know it.

If you were closer to TN i would fix it for you.
Perhaps, I don't like to think that way, but worse things have happened to me before. If I find someone to help me get this thing back on the road with minimal cost, that would be my first choice. Also, thank you for the gesture, next time I'm in TN, drinks are on me.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
Thats some "buddy" you have there

I wouldnt part a bike for such a simple task, even if you leave it into a proper bike place to get done right it wont cost that much.

And i agree with nuhawk it does take skill to dissassemble a bike without ******* it up, you dont just go ripping into it
Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xboxxer
I actually don't doubt his expertise, from what I gathered from him he's just frustrated with the process and doesn't want to spend more time on it, and I don't have a problem with that. Disappointed? sure am, but nothing more than that.
You need to run, not walk to another mechanic who knows what he's doing.

Valve adjustment is cake, working out the shims you need is easy (basic maths and a micrometer, or just read the damn shim), valve replacement is easy, especially when there's a spare head around.

Seriously, take it somewhere they know what they're doing, and won't get bored with the job half way through.

You don't have a problem with his professionalism ? I sure would.

Paul.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Back Marker

yeah i sure hope you didnt give him any money and id be raging that he made me buy all those parts, although i wouldnt have bought them lol

sell all the parts you have bought, get two new valves and get them fitted and all the valves adjusted, it is an easy job for any good mechanic
Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Read this thread and I want to ask you one question, do you want the bike back on the road?
If yes,then I travel to NJ a lot and would be willing to help you get the engine back together.From the sound of it you have ALL the parts,all that is needed is labor.
If no,then check out ebay and sell the various components for what you can get after tearing it down.
I do not wish to judge your buddies mechanical skill,but for a bike than "ran great" before you took it to him I would question his diagnosis.With any suspected valve "sealing" issues the first thing to do is a compression/leak down test to determine any cylinder sealing problems.If there was a fault she would have had a misfire or at the least a significant loss of power.
If you want to put the bike together pm me and we'll work something out.
Good luck........Steve
Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Squid

tromo01 is on a distinguished road
come on man fix the hawk...i got my rear cyl. exhaust valves removed and new ones instaled for 100 bucks..
Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Just to add my two cents .... valves don't simply get bent without something wrong happening, like the piston hitting them. Maybe the guy screwed up when attempting to replace the CCTs?

Keep an eye on Ebay to get a feel for what parts are priced at.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Forde
Thats some "buddy" you have there

I wouldnt part a bike for such a simple task, even if you leave it into a proper bike place to get done right it wont cost that much.

And i agree with nuhawk it does take skill to dissassemble a bike without ******* it up, you dont just go ripping into it
Originally Posted by opsmgr
You need to run, not walk to another mechanic who knows what he's doing.

Valve adjustment is cake, working out the shims you need is easy (basic maths and a micrometer, or just read the damn shim), valve replacement is easy, especially when there's a spare head around.

Seriously, take it somewhere they know what they're doing, and won't get bored with the job half way through.

You don't have a problem with his professionalism ? I sure would.

Paul.
Originally Posted by Forde
yeah i sure hope you didnt give him any money and id be raging that he made me buy all those parts, although i wouldnt have bought them lol

sell all the parts you have bought, get two new valves and get them fitted and all the valves adjusted, it is an easy job for any good mechanic
Waste of space as I covered this in previous posts, sigh

Originally Posted by tromo01
come on man fix the hawk...i got my rear cyl. exhaust valves removed and new ones instaled for 100 bucks..
Great, tell me where. Otherwise not helpful at all.

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Just to add my two cents .... valves don't simply get bent without something wrong happening, like the piston hitting them. Maybe the guy screwed up when attempting to replace the CCTs?

Keep an eye on Ebay to get a feel for what parts are priced at.
CCT's could have acted up, he could have messed it up, anything is possible. I bought the bike used three years ago so it's anyones' guess.

Originally Posted by steve.g
Read this thread and I want to ask you one question, do you want the bike back on the road?
If yes,then I travel to NJ a lot and would be willing to help you get the engine back together.From the sound of it you have ALL the parts,all that is needed is labor.
If no,then check out ebay and sell the various components for what you can get after tearing it down.
I do not wish to judge your buddies mechanical skill,but for a bike than "ran great" before you took it to him I would question his diagnosis.With any suspected valve "sealing" issues the first thing to do is a compression/leak down test to determine any cylinder sealing problems.If there was a fault she would have had a misfire or at the least a significant loss of power.
If you want to put the bike together pm me and we'll work something out.
Good luck........Steve
Thank you Steve, and yes, I would love to get the bike on the road. I can get 2 used heads from another forum member from an '03 or just use the valves from the head I already bought that is not a good fit. Either way, PM me and let's discuss particulars.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Back Marker

tell you what you could do since you have the parts

get manuals and read up and then try fixing it yourself, i think you could it aint that hard and if you do you will have learned a lot and have it back on the road, and if you dont it hasnt cost you anything and you can just part it out anyway

hardly a waste of space btw we're all just trying to get it through to you that its an easy fix not worth breaking the bike for, and that your mate screwed you over and you should have words with him and go to a good mechanic, but your just choosing to ignore our advice!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
[quote=xboxxer;228646]Waste of space as I covered this in previous posts, sigh

Strange, The thread title is "Thinking of parting out my 98 bird, need a bit of advice".

So we've all given you good advice !

What you do with it is up to you, for you to consider our comments as a "waste of space", that's your God-given right

Paul.