General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tank fell off bike...im in hell

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Tank fell off bike...im in hell

PICS BELOW

So, im workin on the carbs, tryin to get the air/fuel screws with the "D" end dialed perfect. i said screw it, took a dremel and slit a flathead mark in the top ( i think im the spokesman for dremel.. love this thing) so now i can adjust without 40$ tool. anyways. i put the carbs in, so happy i could do it correctly, then the pair, then aibx, then trumpets, then rested the tank on the bike... i then forgot about the tiny PAIR hose thats on the top of the control, and i was thinkin ,"aw screw it, i disabled pair flaps anyways", but then decided to attach it back for piece of mind. again, remember, i have been bugging everyone to help me out on this site... and i finally got the carbs done.. and was somewhat anxious to hear it... well, while on the right side of the bike, smooshing the hose back on the pair system, the saddest thing in the history of wrenching on bikes happened... the gas tank fell and hit the ground. man i almost wept like a baby... so now im here....

called the dealership-2 of them- and both quotes were around 730$ painted. F@%$ that. not payin that.... so... i can :

1. go to some place called dent wizard GO TO DENT WIZARD SITE and have em pull it, then have it repainted(cant cost more than 400$ for all that)

2. get one of those ugly *** covers that blanket your entire tank...(not gonna happen)

3. try waiting on ebay until one finally comes up(that damn cb77 always does when i search)

4. hope to god someone on here is parting out their bikes and have a red superhawk tank(or ANY COLOR) that will fit my 98(assuming ALL years will fit?)

5. also, can i somehow take the key lock thing out of this one and put it in a new one so i can use the same gas tank key with my new tank? and do i need a special tool?

if so , keep me posted on suggestions PLLLLEEEAASSEEE .

this is the saddest thing ever... had perfection in 3 minutes... almost done with the bike... and this... but hey, the whole bike coulda fell over... gotta see the glass as half full .

problem is, its right on the corner of where theres that lip in the front... funky to get to. its about 1/3" deep.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Re: Tank fell off bike...im in hell

im crying right now...
Old 04-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

thanks for understanding guys... i mean when its preventable.... thats when it hurts... especially when its your sugar mamma (that would be my vtr) . well, keep an eye out for me, if you see a red tank, email me. guess going to the dent wizard is the way to do it then huh. i have a main branch 15 min from me. the thing that sux is that its on the curve in the front of the tank.... stink to get to.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:03 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Since you've sort of "written off" your tank, why don't you try to paint it yourself with the correct matching paint from color rite ($60-90 depending on how many coats/cans are needed). The dent can be brought up with bondo paste if done very, very slowly with many thin layers that have dried thoroughly between applications; too thick and it won't adhere and will crack upon drying. You can get the honda wing decals on ebay for about $10.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

lol, i got three cans of color right italian red vtr1000 paint, and all are for the bike. lol. ya see, theyre awesome with customer service- i only had to pay for one can - but with our red color, there is a 2228 , 2228-1 , and 2228-2 for italian red for the vtr. all are funky, lighter or darker, etc. so i sent the rear cowel cover cus they offered to match it exactly and put the paint in a bottle, so itll be here tomorrow. i got it to paint my sharkskinz lower... anyways, i dont wanna screw with it... i mean, i could try... may just have them pull the dent, then get it painted. screw it. my baby is bruised... but ill get over it. just bought the dynojet kit online (#1185 kit #) and got it for 66.12$ ! . nice site. ill link ya if ya want it.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:49 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
dude, sorry to hear about your tank accident.

definitely wait for one to show up on ebay. it is not worth repairing for that much money. You can always sell your damaged one on ebay as well, for those who may want to use it for track days.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

yeah, i know, i was offered a like new one for 400$ , but i know i can get one cheaper. ill wait thanks for the condolences though
Old 04-04-2005, 07:49 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
This really shouldn't be hard to find. You can start calling motorcycle salvage yards too.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

found it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

but i dunno.. you think i should wait for a red one? seeing how it is already a pain in the tukas to match honda red as i know. what ya think?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
sucks man...
just a fyi, but www.ronayers.com lists the oem tank for $507.00. I realize you already said you'd rather shop around for a deal, just thought I'd mention it in case you decided to bite the bullet and go new.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

thats awesome man! thanks. not like i was gonna spend 730 but hey... not bad! ! ! if i cant pull the dent and make it match, then screw it , ill get it! thanks again
Old 04-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

well, put some touch up paint on it.... still looks like crap but palletable. also, when i ride, you wont see it seeing how its inline with my left arm. so ill stick it out, and see what happens. that hot daughter does sound nice.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

I like the Band-Aid idea--would be good for a few laughs as solvent for the pain.

I also once pulled a lame-*** handyman's trick: When I bought new OEM right and left fairings for SuperChicken II, I was too impatient to wait for help mounting them. Thus, when I awkwardly held the left and right fairings in place and stupidly tried to attach one of the lower air ducts, the center fairing popped loose from the rubber mounts and both new fairings broke loose and ended-up on the pavement, scratches met with cursing on my part ...A Homer Simpson moment, "D-oh!'

cheers,
-HotStreetVTR
Old 04-11-2005, 12:08 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

One just sold on Ebay for $35. It was yellow.