General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Taking the MSF course next week!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Taking the MSF course next week!

So I have to take the MSF beginners course so I can ride legally being in the military. Doesnt matter that ive been riding on the street for 9 years i guess im just a statistic. Im thinking about using the hawk but it's in a tiny Parkin lot and since the front end swap I can't turn very sharp at slow speeds. They have little rebels and stuff to ride but man those things suck. What do u all think I should do?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Well the way the USN does it if you use the bikes they supply you, the 250-500cc displacment allows you to only ride bikes up too 500cc's...I used my Shawk and made it easy, plus having fun at it too. MSF is a decent insurance break too or borrow some ones 600cc and do it that way.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Suck it up and ride a rebel for a weekend. It's not like you're going to have "fun" on your superhawk or any race bike with classmates in front of and behind you...
Old 11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I agree w/ Ian. Ride their bikes. I took it w/ my wife a few years ago. I was scraping pegs and the best part was when you have to ride slow..... I had 'em all bunched up!! When you have to do the slow part, remember this post, and try not to get yelled @!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
yes, do use their rebels,etc. If you drop it at least you don't have any repairs or scaped up bike.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
squid that statement is false. since 2010 all military training for the BRC is done on the bikes they provide. you are no longer able to ride a BRC on your own bike. and the fact that you said doing it on there bikes limits you up to 500cc is also incorrect, you are not limited by the size of the trainer bikes. the only limitation is if you take the course on a scooter you are then limited to the 500cc but that is it. if you do an ERC or MSRC you have to use your own bike because they do not offer the course if you dont have your own bike. it is also required for military, that if you ride a sport bike you have to take the MSRC within 90days of getting the bike and for cruisers you have to take the ERC with in 90 days.
Military also has to renew every 3 years on their MSF course based on thebike you ride. you can however take the ERC as an update on a sport bike but you can not take the MSRC on a cruiser at any time.

I took the course back when it was the MRC/RSS before all of this MSF BRC,ERC and such. i am now an instructor and have been since 2007. i have seen alot of changes in the system but never the less it is very important to take the courses no matter how long you have been riding. like i said i instruct and i renew every 2 years and i learn something new almost every time i hit the range.

T-Dogg dont worry about what you take it on the size of the bike does not matter it is the face of learning the principals and skills of riding. just go into it with an open mind and you will be just fine. good luck and have fun.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
brc rebel

Word!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by 3amta3
squid that statement is false. since 2010 all military training for the BRC is done on the bikes they provide. you are no longer able to ride a BRC on your own bike. and the fact that you said doing it on there bikes limits you up to 500cc is also incorrect, you are not limited by the size of the trainer bikes. the only limitation is if you take the course on a scooter you are then limited to the 500cc but that is it. if you do an ERC or MSRC you have to use your own bike because they do not offer the course if you dont have your own bike. it is also required for military, that if you ride a sport bike you have to take the MSRC within 90days of getting the bike and for cruisers you have to take the ERC with in 90 days.
Military also has to renew every 3 years on their MSF course based on thebike you ride. you can however take the ERC as an update on a sport bike but you can not take the MSRC on a cruiser at any time.

I took the course back when it was the MRC/RSS before all of this MSF BRC,ERC and such. i am now an instructor and have been since 2007. i have seen alot of changes in the system but never the less it is very important to take the courses no matter how long you have been riding. like i said i instruct and i renew every 2 years and i learn something new almost every time i hit the range.

T-Dogg dont worry about what you take it on the size of the bike does not matter it is the face of learning the principals and skills of riding. just go into it with an open mind and you will be just fine. good luck and have fun.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Well I should do some F'n research next time. Things have changed since '09. Sorry for the mis-information T-Dogg, and for 3amta3: thanks for calling me out. I got back to the shop and red the REVISED BMRC and I see that has changed a bit. Everything here has updates, why wouldnt the course... After reading that it does look like I just pulled that info out of my a$$. Sorry and thank you all.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
No problem at all. I've been wrong on this forum many times. I'm going to use the little 200 yamaha dirt thing they have I saw sitting over in the lot. Might actually be fun! I remember my mom taking the MSF when I was younger and she failed it. I felt so bad for her. She never rode again after that, but I think my dad was pushing her a little to start riding a bike. Oh well, hopefully I pass it myself
Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
good luck t-dogg go in with an open mind and have fun, i have very fairly failed people unless they are a complete train wreck. a few words of wisdom i can give you on it and believe me when i tell you this but pay attention to the demo's and the details of the instructions given to you, path of travel is crucial. it will be important when you get to the test portion on the range.